Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Have I found the.....*gasp* the CURE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I found the.....*gasp* the CURE?

Hye joghovoort...

By now, I guess you are all aware of my obsession with keeping the future generation of Armenians in the diaspora Armenian. Based on my observation, all three Armenian schools here in Montreal are failing miserably (with one of them pretty much transformed into a french-arab school) and the parents.....well.....no comment about the parents...

This is one of the reasons that pushed me into becoming a cub scout leader at AGBU this year. My "hidden agenda", if you will, consisted of waking these children up to the fun part of being Armenian (cliché maybe, but true), and not force feed them the same stories of killings and dead authors that they have heard for years. To give an example, 3 of my cubs presented my version of Tumanyan's Paregentan to the rest of the group.

The results? Pretty much everyone is noticing that the kids now speak a lot more Armenian than they used to, and not because they're forced to...but because it just feels more right. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND, one parent told my mom that her daughter took her Armenian CDs, and is now listening to them all the time.

So does this mean that there IS a cure? Do we just need major reforms in the schools to keep our following generations Armenian?

And does anyone have any other ideas as to what I can do? This is a subject that I find veeeeery very important, so any help would be much appreciated.

Well, I have always been a believer in reaching out more on an individual basis than in mass psychosis efforts. You are correct in that teaching kids to be more Armenian in the institutional rhetoric is disheartening and often sucks them dry of any interest in Armenian. It becomes chore like, and we don't want that.
    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Re: Have I found the.....*gasp* the CURE?

Originally posted by Baron Dants Hye joghovoort...

By now, I guess you are all aware of my obsession with keeping the future generation of Armenians in the diaspora Armenian. Based on my observation, all three Armenian schools here in Montreal are failing miserably (with one of them pretty much transformed into a french-arab school) and the parents.....well.....no comment about the parents...

This is one of the reasons that pushed me into becoming a cub scout leader at AGBU this year. My "hidden agenda", if you will, consisted of waking these children up to the fun part of being Armenian (cliché maybe, but true), and not force feed them the same stories of killings and dead authors that they have heard for years. To give an example, 3 of my cubs presented my version of Tumanyan's Paregentan to the rest of the group.

The results? Pretty much everyone is noticing that the kids now speak a lot more Armenian than they used to, and not because they're forced to...but because it just feels more right. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND, one parent told my mom that her daughter took her Armenian CDs, and is now listening to them all the time.

So does this mean that there IS a cure? Do we just need major reforms in the schools to keep our following generations Armenian?

And does anyone have any other ideas as to what I can do? This is a subject that I find veeeeery very important, so any help would be much appreciated.
      I am afraid of you. Good thing you are a force for good.

Comment

Baron Dants, I commend you for all the good work you're doing in keeping Armenian kids Armenian. This is a very important issue, and not many people are willing to talk about it, because they can't see the problem. It's good that you do, and that you have done something positive towards it.

Good luck. You have all my respect and support (if that means anything).

Comment

good stuff baron jan. i have to agree with what you say.

I myself once considered going to Armenian school a chore, although the only part i liked was history. yet it was a pain in the ass. And we were always talking english and being reprimended by the teachers to no effect. i think when i actually graduated after 7th grade is when i finally started becoming proud of my language and culture and actually took pride in speaking Armenian and actually sitting my 5 year old cousin down and trying to give her a speech about why she should preserve the Armenian language. but it didnt work. she is really bad in Armenian. i htink its her parents fault. they were just so eager to learn english themselves that they spoke english at home all the time now the little kid can barely speak Armenian. she doesnt understand conjugations at all and mixes them all up. anyway. i sort of went off on a tangent there. keep up the good work bro.

Comment

I try to teach my cousin's 8 year old kid Armenian. He goes to an Armenian school, but he never ever does his Armenian homework and doesn't know how to read or write (the others in his class know, which is, I'm assuming, good). But alas, I myself am not great at Armenian, not having spoken it all that much at home, especially when it comes to writing, I find it awkward, I do speaking pretty well. But yeah, it's good to see people actually trying to change the situation. I see Armenian kids who know French and Arabic, and they don't know Armenian (well, one example is that our neighbour's wife is Lebanese, but the guy is Armenian, but his kids don't know Armenian). It's a shame, really. There is no excuse for that. No justification. I'm only half-Armenian, and I still know the language. I don't know. I guess we need to educate the parents first and foremost. That should make it easier to deal with the kids.

Comment

Working...
            X