Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Homeless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homeless

Few days ago i saw a painting titled *homeless*...

It evoked unpleasant, old memories...i went back to Russia and Armenia...

It was 2 years ago...i visited to YEREVAN...
    i was walking along a street I saw a child huddled along side of a building. He was naked, half covered or actually living in a black garbage bag and asking for help. It was the saddest thing I have ever been exposed to. I also was
    approached by older people asking for change. This part of my trip stuck in my mind the most and I will never forget what I saw.(i saw the same scene in Moscow,but it dosn't hurt me that much,because most of Russian homeless beggars (BOMJ) simply drug users or alcoholics....its theire choice,they choose to live in that way...i don't feel sorry for them nor i care) I couldn't do anything to help them nor i have right.But what i saw in yerevan is different...life forced them...thats the only way they can survive...begging.It hurts a great deal!!! 15 years old prostitute in the street.
    The reason for writing this, is just to express my feelings ...where is great Armenian pride.? I would want others to know of my experience and not to take what they have for granted. I now do not take things for granted and I would rather put others needs before my own. I would like others to open their minds to helping the homeless instead of degrading or thinking of them as lower life forms. They are human beings just like the rest of us, so they deserve equally what we deserve. We are all equal and no one has the right to treat them any less, they only need help and support. All I can say is put yourself in their position and see what you would want as help and see how people would treat you. I have done that and now I am going to do something about it.
    Thanks for reading my opinion, I hope it makes everyone think. I am not
    blaming anyone, just the ignorant people out in this world of ours.
    I'm a monstrous mass of vile, foul & corrupted matter.

I help homeless people that I know will not spend the money I give them on drugs, and a lot of them do. If they're kids, I would definitely help them. Definitely. And you can tell if they're doing drugs anyhow.

Also, I see a lot of Armenians who can't have kids going and adopting odar kids. Usually, I'm not one to criticize this, as all kids deserve an equal chance, but I think we should stick by our own first and foremost. I would adopt a kid from Armenia. In fact, I'd say that it's selfish to have your own kids by the dozen when there are Armenian kids out there starving to death...

I don't know...

Comment

Originally posted by Darorinag
      I help homeless people that I know will not spend the money I give them on drugs, and a lot of them do. If they're kids, I would definitely help them. Definitely. And you can tell if they're doing drugs anyhow.

Also, I see a lot of Armenians who can't have kids going and adopting odar kids. Usually, I'm not one to criticize this, as all kids deserve an equal chance, but I think we should stick by our own first and foremost. I would adopt a kid from Armenia. In fact, I'd say that it's selfish to have your own kids by the dozen when there are Armenian kids out there starving to death...

I don't know...
      adopting a child (hay manuk) ...why not...thats a good idea.

Comment

I can't even begin to think about what it's like for them, especially in the cold weather... I've been "homeless" for a very short while, and it was horrible. Now imagine what it would be like for a kid, especially in winter... I haven't come across too many young homeless people - most of the people I've come across or interacted with were middle-aged drug addicts, so there wasn't much hope there.. But the responsibility of getting the younger ones food and shelter rests upon our shoulders, especially from a nationalist point of view rather than a general one. And let's not forget the emotionally deprived ones in orphanages...

Comment

I think most of us are well aware that giving out money doesn't solve the problem. We also know that programatic solutions generally do not solve immediate needs, either. Giving money might help solve an individual's immediate problem, like what to eat that day, or help remind him that there are people willing to help, or it may be a step to gain his or her confidence so that you can get them to go to a shelter.

In short this is not an either or situation (it rarely is) The problem is,
          as always, finding a balance, that works for the individual as well as the
          community.

I believe that the public needs to be more educated about the
          problem that exsists .....and I believe they should be educated about how they can help. If people are sitting in there comfortable warm homes either not knowing about the problem or just egnoring it ... how are
          they suppose to help???

Comment

Well, we are led to believe that if you're a conservative right-winger, you are a cold-hearted moron who doesn't care for unprivileged or underprivileged people, and that only left-wing radicals and communists are the ones who care about the homeless. But that is not true.

There are many centres where people can go and get help if they're drug addicts and get their lives straightend up again - at least that way they can have a chance at getting a job or whatever. There is a very very small minority that is unwilling to get off the streets, and I believe that is how the stereotypical image of homeless people is created..

In the absence of long-term solutions, one cannot sit there and wait for someone to do something. We must do something in the meantime, and the best we can do as individuals who neither have the time nor skills (at least most of us don't) to organise and collect some helpful resources for homeless people, is to give one homeless person some money that they can put to good use, such as getting something to eat, something to wear, etc. I realise that what I'm suggesting is not a long-term solution, but not to do anything is worse.

If you think about what giving a homeless person $1 a day would mean, you would think it's too much, $365 a year - but think about how many times you've spent that $1 to buy stupid things. This goes to me as well. It's hard to stop and think about the amount of selfishness we are brainwashed into following.

But then again, there's always the argument that applies to Africa, for example - that if you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em. And I do see that point of view too. I think the most important thing is education and awareness...

Comment

Children in Armenia I can understand, the mentally ill I can understand, but when someone is just plain old fine, and is a bum, I don't wanna hear it.
              Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
                Children in Armenia I can understand, the mentally ill I can understand, but when someone is just plain old fine, and is a bum, I don't wanna hear it.
                A lot of the homeless are in fact mentally ill and don't get the resources they are supposed to have and the help they need in order to live normal lives. Some can't live with the idea of being homeless and commit suicide. A lot of it also comes from broken homes and unaccepting parents. There are many young people who run away from home and end up on the streets, some justifiably so because of the horrible situation at home... Troubled people need counselling instead of being abandoned. As for older people, investing in them would be a waste of time. I know that's gonna sound heartless and all that, but you can't help EVERYONE out there, and if it comes to choosing which one to help, I'd go with the younger ones.

Comment

I understand those cases, however, all too often there are bums who are just lazy and I see alot of them here in L.A. for the most part black. For the most part most of us realize that we must take the bitter with the sweet, and we toil while contributing to the creation of wealth and knowledge, and work. But some of these people are averse to work.
                  Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
                    I understand those cases, however, all too often there are bums who are just lazy and I see alot of them here in L.A. for the most part black. For the most part most of us realize that we must take the bitter with the sweet, and we toil while contributing to the creation of wealth and knowledge, and work. But some of these people are averse to work.
                    Well, obviously, there are those who are willingly homeless because they are lazy. You can tell anyway. Just help those who didn't have a choice. Even if you can't tell by looking at them, having a 1 minute conversation with them tells it all.

Comment

Working...
                    X