Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Jobs after graduation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by patlajan
    I have this cooky dream of working and completing a civil engineering degree in night school. Am I totaly nuts, what do you think?
    Depends ... I keep getting these emails about all sorts of BS/MS/PhD diplomas I can order online

To do a serious degree you better commit yourself a few years and do it right. Otherwise, you will go to school forever and never get anything done. I'm not saying it can't be done but an engineering degree will take a good 4 years (summers off to work). Plus the classes build on top of each other so if it takes too long between your first few classes and last few classes you'll more than likely realize you forgot the basics (such as calculus) by the time you really start to need it towards the end.

Having said that, I know someone who did his entire UCLA undergrad Computer Science BS degree in 2 years flat with a 4.0 GPA! He was taking 5-6 classes a quarter year round (including summer) and acing them all. He then came to our research group and did his masters in 1 year after which he totally did a 180 and went to law school. Last I talked to him, he was studying for the bar exam! So anything is possible ... I am only telling you what is reasonable to expect ... and doing a serious engineering degree in night school, although possible, just doesn't sound plausible to me. Unless just want a paper from some place that says you have a degree.
    Last edited by Sip; 04-28-2004, 09:43 PM.
    this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by ckBejug
      Kooky dream indeed. I think you're totally nuts. Is this even offered anywhere? isn't night school geared more towards completing a high school or associates degree or something? Civil engineering?! You nut.
      It doesn't have to be "nigh school". Classes after 5 oclock sound better? If my science teachers in highscool weren't total idiots, maybe I wouldn't have "wasted" my first 4 years in college.

Comment

Originally posted by Seapahn
        Depends ... I keep getting these emails about all sorts of BS/MS/PhD diplomas I can order online

To do a serious degree you better commit yourself a few years and do it right. Otherwise, you will go to school forever and never get anything done. I'm not saying it can't be done but an engineering degree will take a good 4 years (summers off to work). Plus the classes build on top of each other so if it takes too long between your first few classes and last few classes you'll more than likely realize you forgot the basics (such as calculus) by the time you really start to need it towards the end.

Having said that, I know someone who did his entire UCLA undergrad Computer Science BS degree in 2 years flat with a 4.0 GPA! He was taking 5-6 classes a quarter year round (including summer) and acing them all. He then came to our research group and did his masters in 1 year after which he totally did a 180 and went to law school. Last I talked to him, he was studying for the bar exam! So anything is possible ... I am only telling you what is reasonable to expect ... and doing a serious engineering degree in night school, although possible, just doesn't sound plausible to me. Unless just want a paper from some place that says you have a degree.

I understand that it'll take 4 or 5 years. I'll be 27 when I'm done, which is not that old. I took Calc 1 and 2 but I have totaly forgotten it all, you're right. Let's switch gears for a second. What about comp sci. I already know a bunch about programming since I currently run a small e-business. But I'm afraid of wasting money learning things I already know the first two years. All the comp sci graduates I know, have knowledge in theory but when I ask them for specific advice I get blank stares.
        Bottom line is I wanna combine my business education with something scientific because I'm not in the mood for going to graduate school to learn things I already know, but this time in further detail, which is what my impression of grduate school for business people is from what I've been told.
        Last edited by patlajan; 04-29-2004, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Computer Science is just that "Science" it's all in theory, it's not practical. And I hate programming, I am sorry to say. Give me a PC and I'll fix it, just don't ask me to explain it in scientific terms. Pat, what about a vocational school? Seap, what do you think? He has a BA already, he can get one of 2 certifications and he's good to go. Plus often companies send you to computer courses at their expense. All they care about now is if you have a degree or not, whatever it is they don't care. Nobody wants an oaf off the street. Pat was your major business in St. Johns?

Comment

St. Johns? In New Mexico? I was thinking of going there at one point.

Comment

Originally posted by anileve
              Computer Science is just that "Science" it's all in theory, it's not practical.
              I agree with the first part but not with the second part. Much like any other science, there are theoretic branches to it as well applied branches. Either one without the other is very weak ... but bring theory and application together and then you can all of a sudden do great things.

Computer Science in its purest form, much like physics, chemistry, biology, etc, doesn't prepare you for a specific job. As Anileve said, to be trained for a specific job or career, a vocational training program or a specific certification may be more appropriate.

About programming and a programmer and the relation to computer science ... I will use the analogy of flying a plane and a pilot to aeronautic science. Programming is more of an aquired skill of how to operate a computer (note that according to my analogy, normal PC users that don't know how to program will correspond to passengers on a plane at the mercy of the pilot). Obviously in order to be a great pilot, one would need to have a deep understanding of how a plane functions. Analogously, to be a great programmer, one would need in debth knowledge of how a computer functions but not necessarily all the details about how to engineer it or the fine grained details how it all put together.

So anyway ... "Computer Science" is a science so don't think of it as a collection of classes to give you a certain skill for a certain type of job (there is a big misconception about this as computer science has traditionally been more applied that most other sciences!!!!!!)

Patlajan ... about what is best for you, it is hard for me to say as I know very little about you. But just based on the basics of what you have said, I would say considering a business degree (MBA) may be beneficial to you. If you have a BA, it may not be a bad idea to go back and to a Masters as that can be done in a relatively short time (Computer Science takes about 1 to 1.5 years) and is not too class intensive ... you can often work at your own schedules.
              Last edited by Sip; 04-29-2004, 09:35 AM.
              this post = teh win.

Comment

I have a class called the History of Computer Science. Boy that Charles Babbage sure was smart and stuff to later influence the Cabbage Padge Kids or whatever they are.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
                  I have a class called the History of Computer Science. Boy that Charles Babbage sure was smart and stuff to later influence the Cabbage Padge Kids or whatever they are.
                  What's even more interesting though is the story of Ada Lovelace who got very fascinated by Babbages ideas and his calculating engine and is considered by many to having come up with the first computer program!

Yes ... who would have thought! The first programmer was a lady mathematician ...

Another factoid: The "ADA" programming language used by the defense department is named after her.
                  this post = teh win.

Comment

It's a shame that Babbage was so into himself otherwise maybe he would have received funding for his difference and analytical engines. Either way I consider Boole's binary code more important for some reason.
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

I wanna be a mutha fukkin hustla!

Comment

Working...
                      X