Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Beyond Comprehension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beyond Comprehension?

Have you ever tried to explain something to someone and they just didn't understand?

Do you think it's possible for something to just be beyond what someone's capable of understanding?
    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

I believe stupidity exists. Yes.

Comment

This thread must have been influenced by your trying to explain something to someone. Who was it and what were you trying to explain?

Comment

Ha... actually not by a recent incident.
        I've encountered this is stats a lot. When I've had an "Aha!" moment and tried to explain to someone else and they just do not get it. I've tried to have others explain... nope.
        Sometimes I think people just can't wrap their brain around certain things.
        [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
        -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie
          Have you ever tried to explain something to someone and they just didn't understand?

Do you think it's possible for something to just be beyond what someone's capable of understanding?
          I honestly think that there is no such thing as an incapability of understanding unless it is attributed to some illness. However, I am a strong believer that there are only lazy thinkers, those who are capable but are too lazy to apply any effort. I want to hear what you were trying to explain.

And speaking of being a little on the slow side. I was once approached by a student who wanted to know where the computers were in the library. I pointed straight ahead a bit past the microfilm machines. She nodded and sat down in front of the microfilm machine which was not on. She started turning the nob and seeing no results turned around in frustration and said: "This computer is not working." So in her case as badly as I laughed afterwards I understood that she was just familiarizing herself with the technology.

Siggie, your turn to spill the beans.

Comment

Originally posted by anileve
            I honestly think that there is no such thing as an incapability of understanding unless it is attributed to some illness. However, I am a strong believer that there are only lazy thinkers, those who are capable but are too lazy to apply any effort. I want to hear what you were trying to explain.

And speaking of being a little on the slow side. I was once approached by a student who wanted to know where the computers were in the library. I pointed straight ahead a bit past the microfilm machines. She nodded and sat down in front of the microfilm machine which was not on. She started turning the nob and seeing no results turned around in frustration and said: "This computer is not working." So in her case as badly as I laughed afterwards I understood that she was just familiarizing herself with the technology.

Siggie, your turn to spill the beans.
            HAHA.. thats funny. .. and i agree with what you said about everyone being capable of understanding.. if not to lazy..

BUT.. sometimes i find myself explaining a certain formulo for whatever we are doing in the engineering labs. .and i explain it over and over again with no results.. lol.. sometimes it takes to long for the person infront of me to understand.. would that be the same ???
            How do you hurt a masochist?
            -By leaving him alone.Forever.

Comment

There are definitely people out there who are just incapable of understanding certain things. Anyone remember this: http://forum.armenianclub.com/showthread.php?t=2454

Comment

I agree with anileve. I think that all people are capable of understanding whatever is being explained to them, unless they have some sort of disabiltiy, as anileve mentioned.

However, I think that different people have a different way of taking in information, or analyzing/understanding situations.

You may explain one thing to a person and this person may not get it, and you may be explaining this issue/subject in the simplest form to you, however, this person may look at things in a more complex way, enabling him to understand the 'simpler' explanation.

Comment

i hate explaining things twice. i wanna shoot stupid people

Comment

I think there definitely are certain things that certain people can't understand, no matter how well it is explained, things that are outside their realm of disecting the meaning to, or beyond their abilities to comprehend the concept of. I face this just about every time I try to explain my take on the Matrix to someone. It's not even an issue of not agreeing. We can't even get to the point of them understanding in order for them to take a stance on the view point. I swear, after explaining for a few minutes, a good 90% of the time, I hear "but we're not attached to a computer, that's crazy!" At this point, I have to slap my forehead, and try it again. But alas, the ideology of the metaphor just doesn't get through. It's lost upon them. Frustrating, to say the least.

I've dealt with this on many subjects. Sure some of it is atrophy of the mind due to lack of use, but I don't think some people get it no matter how many different people explain it, and no matter how many different ways it's explained.

Comment

Working...
                    X