Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

BJJ = real martial art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BJJ = real martial art

I am sorry to come off as an as*hole...but I am. Karate, Kung Fu and Judo serve no useful purpose and do not qualify as a "martial arts " per se. Karate is garbage and all you brainwashed morons who follow this crap are being rip offed by some moronic loser who thinks he is a "bad ass". The only reason Karate even attracts members is because of movies like The Karate Kid or TMNT. I bet when the Karate Kid grew up he took a real martial art like BJJ. You see, you losers worship f*ck ups like Steven Segal or Jet Li. "Survivalist" who would barely last 2 minutes in the UFC's . Once you guys get a reality check from some drunk at a local bar and collect your teeth from the floor, take up a real martial art.

I am a die hard UFC fan and have been so since its inception. I also am a fan of K-1 and Pride Fighting. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu did establish dominance in style vs style tournaments but to assert that Judo is ineffective is senseless. Hidehiko Yoshida is a gold medalish Judoka from Japan and he beat Don Frye recently in Pride, which I'm sure you saw, as well as Royce Gracie although there was alot of confusion in that match.

The UFC has changed much since then my friend, so has the world of mixed martial arts. No longer must you be trained in one specific style but you must be a hybrid fighter, skilled in striking and on the mat.

However it should also be known that martial arts isnt a guarantee victory in a bar brawl or the street. These are trained fighters fighting in customized environments. In the street or bar you have guns, friends bottles and sticks so who nows what can happen.

I've trained in Judo for 2 years and BJJ for 1 and I can safely say they have alot of similarities. BJJ is an offshoot of Japanese Jiu Jitsu with more perfected forms.

The hollywood portrayal of martial arts is all bs. Karate and Taw Kwon Do won't save you but will add alot of skills to hybrid fighters. Bas Rutten, the former UFC champ and King of Pancrase who trains and teaches at Beverly Hills Jiu Jitsu originally started out as Taw Kwon Do. So there is a little bit of everything you can use.

I hate to break it to you but BJJ doesn't have the same dominance as it once did in mixed martial arts. Now its about being a MIXED MARTIAL ART and not clinging to one style.

Cheers.
    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Also, during the last Pride Fighting event, the champion Rodrigo Nogquiera, a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu master took a beating from the Russian Emilyanenko Fedor, who is a freestyle wrestler and well trained in Sambo.

If you watch Abu Dhabi you'll also see freestyle wrestlers like Mark Kerr dominate other grapplers who were trained in BJJ.
      Achkerov kute.

Comment

"I am a die hard UFC fan and have been so since its inception. I also am a fan of K-1 and Pride Fighting. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu did establish dominance in style vs style tournaments but to assert that Judo is ineffective is senseless. Hidehiko Yoshida is a gold medalish Judoka from Japan and he beat Don Frye recently in Pride, which I'm sure you saw, as well as Royce Gracie although there was alot of confusion in that match."

Yoshida beat Frye as much as the Rock beat Stone Cold at WM19.

"The UFC has changed much since then my friend, so has the world of mixed martial arts. No longer must you be trained in one specific style but you must be a hybrid fighter, skilled in striking and on the mat."

The was speaking of the old school UFC. Not the one with time limits and superficial rules. Todays UFC is more like a kickboxing match then a street fight.

"However it should also be known that martial arts isnt a guarantee victory in a bar brawl or the street. These are trained fighters fighting in customized environments. In the street or bar you have guns, friends bottles and sticks so who nows what can happen. "

You are correct. BJJ prepares you for all these variables.

"I've trained in Judo for 2 years and BJJ for 1 and I can safely say they have alot of similarities. BJJ is an offshoot of Japanese Jiu Jitsu with more perfected forms."

You are incorrect. Modern judo is nothing more then a tripping contest. Kodokan Judo created by Jigoro Kano is an "offshoot" of Japanse Jiu Jiitsu if that. Comparing BJJ to Japanese Jiu Jitsu is like comparing a turtle to Ferrari.

"I hate to break it to you but BJJ doesn't have the same dominance as it once did in mixed martial arts. Now its about being a MIXED MARTIAL ART and not clinging to one style."

Miked Martial arts is not a real sport. It is a kid's game for xxxxx xxxxxxts who can't hack real fighting and enjoy the baby-whipped half fighting. You bunch of paper bag warriors are losers. The only real effective martial arts is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu . I challenge anyone here to a fight (NHB style). I am in the Los Angeles area. Until then practice your Katas and punching the air. I'll practice a real self defense system and be holing your wives and sisters.

Comment

Hahah that was a really lame response. First of all I never practiced karate or katas. Second of all, yes Yoshida beat Frye and I don't care who you are and how much of a Frye fan you are he got beat. I don't care what half assed accusations people throw at that match there is nothing fishy about it since nothing was established to begin with. Second of all, yes I never said BJJ isn't good for streets. In fact the reason for its success has alot to do with its practicality and how you can use it in the streets. But again I say, against multiple attackers weapons etc you can't do much except run. However, I have seen plenty of freestyle wrestlers like Mark Coleman and Mark Kerr manhandle BJJ guys.

Now to your assertion that old style NHB was better, I agree it was fun in a different way but the sport has evolved now. You cant compare todays sport with that of yesterday. Two different things. You cannot try to discredit todays fighters by saying they can't fight or they adhere to rules and regulations. I dare you to go in there right now and try to fight these guys. Why do you trash talk them? The sport has evolved now. Get over it. In order to appeal to the public and politicians, rounds and rules were needed. The sport received too many complaints from soccer moms and politicians so something had to be done. In order to make the sport more apealing to the public Mixed Martial Arts is the new thing. I challenge any boxer to go in there. Tyson was offered to fight both in the UFC and Pride FC and he turned it down.

If you think todays UFC is more like a kickboxing match then there is nothing else to be said to you. You probably haven't seen the last few UFCs. Mind you I was at UFC 40 in Vegas when Ken and Tito fought.

You are trying to sound like a hard ass like Tank Abbot. Tank Abbot was trash talking Mixed Martial Arts and recently got his ass handed to him by a submission. Mind you there are plenty of lower lever underground NHB and Vale Tudo events everywhere but don't receive exposure since its not preferred by the lawmakers and soccer moms these days. You'll find plenty of bear knuckle NHB in Brazil and Russia but in the US its practically non existent.

And as far as your training where have you trained in BJJ? Have you had any exposure to striking? In any event, learn to get with the times. Its easy for us to criticize fighters until we get in the ring and do what they do. However I am glad there is someone on thsi website, of all places, who has knowledge about BJJ and Mixed Martial Arts/NHB.
          Achkerov kute.

Comment

"Also, during the last Pride Fighting event, the champion Rodrigo Nogquiera, a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu master took a beating from the Russian Emilyanenko Fedor, who is a freestyle wrestler and well trained in Sambo."

Noguiera lost a controversial decision to the lay and pray tactics of Fedor. Time limits hindered Noguiera's progress on the ground.

"If you watch Abu Dhabi you'll also see freestyle wrestlers like Mark Kerr dominate other grapplers who were trained in BJJ."

How many subs does Kerr have at ADCC? BJJ black belts like Royler Gracie and JJ Machado dominate with over 10 subs each. Lay and pray by a huge wrestler does not make for domination.

Comment

What have I trained??? I wrestled 4 years in high school and am currently a brown belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu under Cleber Luciano a Rickson Gracie Black Belt.

I see that none of the keyboard warriors on this site are up to my challenge. They must realize a year of cardio kickboxing and so called "submission wrestling" they have learned off some video tape does not make them true street fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by clubbin714
                "Also, during the last Pride Fighting event, the champion Rodrigo Nogquiera, a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu master took a beating from the Russian Emilyanenko Fedor, who is a freestyle wrestler and well trained in Sambo."

Noguiera lost a controversial decision to the lay and pray tactics of Fedor. Time limits hindered Noguiera's progress on the ground.
                Apologists will always find reasons for discrediting a winner. The point is he has elevated ground and pound to a whole new level and therefore beat Noguiera. No excuses. Accept it and move on.

"If you watch Abu Dhabi you'll also see freestyle wrestlers like Mark Kerr dominate other grapplers who were trained in BJJ."

How many subs does Kerr have at ADCC? BJJ black belts like Royler Gracie and JJ Machado dominate with over 10 subs each. Lay and pray by a huge wrestler does not make for domination.
                Ever heard of a neck crank? Mark Kerr has a pretty good submission arsenal up his sleave and if you watch his fights you'll see them. Free style wrestling isn't devoid of submissions. I am not defending it. Again I have done BJJ and prefer it over any other since it is the most practical but my point is there is no perfect system. To argue that is wishful thinking. Nothing is perfect.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

What have I trained??? I wrestled 4 years in high school and am currently a brown belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu under Cleber Luciano a Rickson Gracie Black Belt.

I see that none of the keyboard warriors on this site are up to my challenge. They must realize a year of cardio kickboxing and so called "submission wrestling" they have learned off some video tape does not make them true street fighters.
                  Oh yes the famous "key board warrior" epithet has surfaced. If you want to make yourself look like a toughman, go to the sherdog forums and challenge some of the guys over there on the forums. Or for that matter MMA.tv at the underground forums. And WHY in gods green earth are you using plural language? I am the only one that has a knowledge of NHB/MMA I don't see anyone else here aching to be a part of this discussion. Face it BJJ came out and dominate style vs style now it is stagnant. Again no longer can you be trained in one form but rather a hybrid form. That is a true complete fighter, knowing when to grapple and when to strike. None of the old school fighters can dominate anymore, e.g. Royce, Royler, Renzo, Ken, Tank, etc., hell Sakuraba washed through the gracies.
                  Achkerov kute.

Comment

I was banned from sherdogs and the underground years ago for challenging pro fighters like Tito Ortiz and Jens Pulver.

Anyways I will refute your other statements when I finish boning my Brazilian girlfriend. See you guys tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                    X