Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The Billionaire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's another way of seeing it, and many people, including myself, would agree. A solid infrastructure, however, will lead to a stronger economy. Better roads, for example, will lead to better business, and renovated museums and other touristic attractions will bring in more tourist money. And all this renovation is a very good short term solution to poverty. Many people can find work in construction now.
    OK, that's all fine and dandy, but what about those who are starving to death or begging their daily bread every day? I'm not even talking about the humilitation - just talking about the physical nature of things - the cold, hunger, thirst, etc. How much can tourism bring in? A country that relies on tourism as its main source of income is a country that is economically unstable. This is what happened in Lebanon. When civil war broke out and the country was entirely damaged, the economy TOTALLY collapsed because all of it was based on tourism. And until they can rebuild everything and re-start the tourism industry, I'm afraid the economy will have to suffer for another 10+ years.

Moreover, I am talking about remote villages, not the city itself.

Public services are more important than highways. Hospitals, health care, housing - these are the essentials of life, without which you can have neither toursim, nor cultural development.

Comment

As I said, I agree. Work IS being done in the regions too, though obviously we still have problems. As I said, a major part of the Lincy Fund is allocated to hospitals, health care and housing, so it's not as if these problems are being ignored.

Tourism will always be big for Armenia because of the Diaspora. In Montreal at least, Armenia is becoming THE destination among Armenian youth, and that is a trend that is probably more important to the Diaspora, than it is for Armenia. Therefore, there is nothing wrong with making your capital city (or any other city) nicer. Many people will say that they didn't like Yerevan because the growing wealth there isn't a true reflection of what Armenia is outside of it. I say that I loved Yerevan because it gave me hope that we CAN achieve prosperity. A strong capital city (where about 35-40% of the population is located) will encourage business, and the rest will eventually follow.

Best way for Armenia to prosper is to find employment. Once that is settled, we will not only see the stop of the emigration, but also the beginning of a repatriation movement.

Comment

Originally posted by HyeJinx1984
        Really? Weird, I have no idea what's going to happen in Amenia, but I feel us getting stronger around the world in Diaspora. And I don't see there being too big of a problem with language preservation.. I know some Armenians that are 2nd or even 3rd generation that speak pretty good Armenian.
        We feel we're getting stronger because we're getting richer. I can already see a major detachment from anything Armenian in the Montreal community, which is considered to be a very strong one. For this, I blame the school system and the community leaders, who have found other "priorities" to chase.

Comment

Originally posted by HyeJinx1984
          Just out of curiosity, what had Kirk Kerkorian done in terms of helping the Armenian community?
          Actually, when I went to Armenia a few weeks ago.... I found out that Kirk Kerkorian had donated millions to rebuild about 129 new schools throughout Armenia, to remodel some of the old buildings (Opera House, etc.) and build new buildings throughout Yerevan.

Comment

Therefore, there is nothing wrong with making your capital city (or any other city) nicer.
            I never said there's anything wrong with it. I'm all for it. But it shouldn't be at the expense of other villages. I see pictures of Armenian girls in Yerevan wearing short skirts that basically expose all their bodily parts, just because "it's the cool thing to do," whereas people are freezing to death in the poor villages on the outskirts of the city. And while someone might argue that this contrast is present in other countries as well, I'd like to point out that it's not to that extent. Yes, there are the wealthy and the poor in USA, but the poor at least have somewhere to go, someone to turn to for help - shelters, community housing, daily food, free hospitalisation, etc. Not that I'm saying we should achieve all that - it'd be impossible to do that overnight, but - there's a difference between spending billions of dollars on a highway (albeit very much essential), and spending billions of dollars in building houses and shelters, and education facilities for villages.

Comment

Originally posted by Darorinag
              there's a difference between spending billions of dollars on a highway (albeit very much essential), and spending billions of dollars in building houses and shelters, and education facilities for villages.
              Which is why we love Kerkorian. He's spending billions of dollars on both!

As for the girls of Yerevan following the latest trends, it's the emergence of the middle class. A few years ago, their families were probably also freezing in their appartments.

Comment

Middle class?! That's middle class? I beg to differ. Why this extreme shift? If it's a shift from lower class to middle class, I doubt it would be this extreme.

Comment

Middle class?! That's middle class? I beg to differ. Why this extreme shift? If it's a shift from lower class to middle class, I doubt it would be this extreme.
                  That IS the middle class. Just like middle class teens want to follow trends here, middle class teens there also want to follow trends. It's not as if they're riding around in Rolls Royces or living in mansions anyways. The shift is not that extreme. It's teenagers being teenagers, and their parents wanting to make them happy, as much as their means will allow them to.

Comment

Please.. teenagers being teenagers? There's something called conservatism. Not to mention, some can't even afford to pay rent, but would rather spend the money on looks, just because of what their neighbours might think. That's the kind of mentality I'm talking about. Also, it's not about happiness. Happiness is not and should not be a function of how much clothing you have, or how trendy your clothes are. Not even in Lebanon would you see loose morals as in Armenia.

Comment

Please.. teenagers being teenagers? There's something called conservatism. Not to mention, some can't even afford to pay rent, but would rather spend the money on looks, just because of what their neighbours might think. That's the kind of mentality I'm talking about. Also, it's not about happiness. Happiness is not and should not be a function of how much clothing you have, or how trendy your clothes are. Not even in Lebanon would you see loose morals as in Armenia.
                      I beg to differ. You're just making a whole lot of assumptions. Why would they be more conservative there, if teens like to follow trends in almost every other country in the world?

And your "true definition of happiness" thing is cute and all, but PEOPLE FOLLOW TRENDS! You may or not find something wrong with it, but that's how it is.

As for loose morals, just go and talk to them before jumping to conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                      X