Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

To What extent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To What extent?

I have realized that, ones looks (their physical attributes) have some direct or atleast indirect connection with the personality and outgoingness of a person. Wha do you wonderfully educated and all so intelligent people think about this? to what extent is this true, or if it is possible at all?
    How do you hurt a masochist?
    -By leaving him alone.Forever.

I think that it is true in an indirect way, because human nature has a lust for beauty, even if most people do not admit it. If someone is "ugly", then less people will want to interact with him, and he will be more rejected and feel like an outcast. This in turn will make him more likely to be anti-social. Similarly, if someone is very good-looking, a lot of people will immediately want to please that person. That person will go on in life expecting to always get favors from others. So "ugly" people are more likely to be anti-social because they might be rejected. But "ugly" people are more likely to be independent, self-reliant and more perseverant because unlike good-looking people, they are less likely to be helped by others, so they develop good survival skills. I guess there always is some poetic justice...

Comment

i have to say i very much so agree with your point here jmg, but dont mix up antisocial and asocial. Anticosial means that the person goes against norms and societal rules, mainly criminals and so fotrh, asocial means that the eprson does not interact with others and has bad social skills...

to comment on the original thread... well yea that's something that depends on each situation, most people are like that, some others aren't .... it's life, poop happens and then some more poop happens, btu you gotta see that all this poop is useful- use it as manuer and grow upon all the poop that happens aye i dont think im making sense....
      it sucks that its in human nature to go for looks, whether in friendship or love or whatever... because looks decieve most of the time, you gotta see through those things and see the person behind all the exterior...
      those are a few "cents" see ifyou can make a dime outt it

Comment

Originally posted by jgm1975
        I think that it is true in an indirect way, because human nature has a lust for beauty, even if most people do not admit it. If someone is "ugly", then less people will want to interact with him, and he will be more rejected and feel like an outcast. This in turn will make him more likely to be anti-social. Similarly, if someone is very good-looking, a lot of people will immediately want to please that person. That person will go on in life expecting to always get favors from others. So "ugly" people are more likely to be anti-social because they might be rejected. But "ugly" people are more likely to be independent, self-reliant and more perseverant because unlike good-looking people, they are less likely to be helped by others, so they develop good survival skills. I guess there always is some poetic justice...
        I would imagine it would be the other way around, since someone is ugly and less popular, they are more used to the fact that they have to work twice as hard, whereas good looking people and popular ones ( such as the hot girl at school who is used to getting what she wants as an example ) usually have things set up for them, while the former must toil and struggle, in which case, the uglier ones are not so much the anti-social ones, but in fact the more wise and virtuous ones. Cheers.
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
          I would imagine it would be the other way around, since someone is ugly and less popular, they are more used to the fact that they have to work twice as hard, whereas good looking people and popular ones ( such as the hot girl at school who is used to getting what she wants as an example ) usually have things set up for them, while the former must toil and struggle, in which case, the uglier ones are not so much the anti-social ones, but in fact the more wise and virtuous ones. Cheers.
          ehh,, i think thast what he was saying.. lol..

Comment

yes i absolutely agree with you. I think an ugly person works harder than a beautiful,good looking person to have a career. they concentrate their job,lesson... And i don't think uglies are anti-social. They can be popular in their careers,studies...

Comment

But i have known both people who are seemingly less attractive (comparing to the popular cultur "ideal" view of a pretty girl) and those who are very attractive, and have found in both cases (and not to few either) that either extreme does exist. As in, less attractive people tend to be just as outgoing and "xxxxy" in a sense, than any other.. and just the same with very attractive girls (since im a guy ill say girls) that are overly "shy" and not very sure of themselves...

and, maybe in these person's minds they think the exact same thing with perfectly opposite outcomes. as in, two very attractive people can find their "attractiveness" to be the root of one being shy and not outgoing, and the other quite the opposite.. and the same goes for the lesser attractive ones. so, i bring this point up to see what others think of this topic, as in to what extent physical beauty trains the mind of an individual to a certain "way" of viewing oneself.

Comment

I really like this topic, and I'll say this much:

Very attractive people, the type that receive constant attention throughout childhood on up (regarding their superior physical characteristics), are usually ugly inside, more often than not.

Edit: ...and to add on to this...it made me think of birth order, as in, the youngest child is almost always the most spoiled, because of the constant attention, while the oldest child has to cope with this, and thus develops certain characteristics that we would deem as good.
                Last edited by sSsflamesSs; 08-30-2004, 11:32 PM.

Comment

It's not possible to generalize and project this to everyone.And old adage *beauty's only skin deep* simply stupid.

I believe that body image is our mental representation,it reflects our inner self and its pretty much influenced by our feelings,emotions,behavior, and self esteem. Its our personal billboard.Gev noticed it right ,directly or indirectly it reflects us,our social status ,tells a lot more about our personality than we can imagine.
                  I bet most of the ugly girls are more quixotic than good looking once. I would say ugly girls put an extra effort to get an attention,which makes them even more pathetic.
                  I'm a monstrous mass of vile, foul & corrupted matter.

Comment

I know many girls (ill use the oppsoite gender to reference to) that are rather very pretty, yet a simple conversation with them prooves they have been dropped one to many times on their heads as toddlers... In my experiance, i know very few girls who are "all that" (if i am allowed to use this term) and have an honest and "hamest" (this word fits well) personality. (side note, by "hamest" i do not mean "submissive" as many have come to think..) Basically, it can be deduced that in "most cases" or "for more persons than not" it is true that their exterior looks take the better part of their personality, and sadly that is where the "prettiness" of that person stops, at the skin.
                    Sleuth, let me also say, that your right, we cannot generalize this for "everyone" cause infact i do have friends who i think are "all that" and have a wonderful personality, and they dont carry that "high maintanance" mark as so many others do ..

As for guys, i think that the looks take similarly take part in their personalities, but i must say, not to that extent, and not that often (yes yes yes, all exceptions taken into consideration )

Comment

Working...
                    X