Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

What is it about America?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it about America?

As always we're talking about how Armenians nowadays are giving up their pride and giving into the dasterdly ways of modern "don't give a sh*t"ism... but is it all Diasporans or just those that end up in America?

Basgahyes have been living in Iran for over 300 years and retain their identity. A population of Armenians in Poland have just rediscovered their roots and are florishing culturally. Despite being perscuted, that very persecution keeps Bolsahyes in Istambul strong and connected to their roots. Armenians raised and schooled all over Europe in places like England and France still speak and write fluently and teach their children necessary history. Western armenians in Lebenon and Syria are some of the most active Armenians around. But, one generation in America and..... kaput?

Why is it that America brings out this kind of disregard for our past where as Armenians all over the world are still very much connected to our roots. We're all scared we're loosing our culture and people are forgetting... maybe it isn't all Armenians, maybe it's just the ones in America?
    "All I know is I'm not a Marxist." -Karl Marx

Originally posted by HyeJinx1984
    As always we're talking about how Armenians nowadays are giving up their pride and giving into the dasterdly ways of modern "don't give a sh*t"ism... but is it all Diasporans or just those that end up in America?

Basgahyes have been living in Iran for over 300 years and retain their identity. A population of Armenians in Poland have just rediscovered their roots and are florishing culturally. Despite being perscuted, that very persecution keeps Bolsahyes in Istambul strong and connected to their roots. Armenians raised and schooled all over Europe in places like England and France still speak and write fluently and teach their children necessary history. Western armenians in Lebenon and Syria are some of the most active Armenians around. But, one generation in America and..... kaput?

Why is it that America brings out this kind of disregard for our past where as Armenians all over the world are still very much connected to our roots. We're all scared we're loosing our culture and people are forgetting... maybe it isn't all Armenians, maybe it's just the ones in America?
    I think it just seems that way in America (specifically in CA).

I think that because people see America as the land of oppurtunity, that they get blinded and preoccupied with who's going to make the most money that they often forget to respect each other and work together for Armenian causes or they forget to spend the time with their kid and teach them the importance of a Diasporan Armenian that they often rely on schools to teach it to their children, which in turn.... turns the child off for most things related to being Armenian.

Comment

You're both wrong. The reason Armenians in America are so warped is because they don't eat enough Hot Pockets!

As a kid I used to at least eat 2!
      Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
        You're both wrong. The reason Armenians in America are so warped is because they don't eat enough Hot Pockets!

As a kid I used to at least eat 2!
        Hot Pockets! hahahah.

Damn Mr. Mouse. So THAT'S where you got your strength? From the cheese in the hot pockets huh?

*Note to self: eat more hot pockets.

Comment

In terms of 'civilizational development' as it applies to European Civilization, America is 'the end of the line' -- materially-focused, entropic, and adverse to any display or retention of Culture.

Comment

Originally posted by HyeJinx1984
            I'd say that persecution is exactly why Armenians keep their identities in nations where they are less welcome. In Iran or Lebanon or Syria, you're instantly identified as Armenian. Furthermore, you're given hell for it. Get a person defensive about something, in particular ethnic identity, and they'll fight. The only people in the US who care that you're Armenian are other people from that part of the world. Another thing is that you are encouraged to become American, to take part in building a national identity that has nothing to do with ethnicity. I doubt you're encouraged to become Arabic; you're probably just encouraged to leave or disappear.

Comment

Can we stop jumping to conclusions based on what we saw on FOX News?

Armenians are not persecuted in Syria or Lebanon. In fact, Lebanon has one or two Armenian ministers in its cabinet, and even its president, Emile Lahoud, is half-Armenian!

As for the original question: it is not only America. Same thing is happening in Canada, France and other Western countries. While the community in Montreal is still strong, the decline in "Armenianness" is obvious. I think arrogance is involved to a certain degree. In Syria, for example, if you chose not to remain Armenian, what would you be? An Arab? Unlikely. Yet Armenians have this sort of inferiority complex when faced to Americans, or the French or the English, for some reason. If I told you, for example, that a certain piece of Armenian litterature was hailed by Hagop Oshagan, it's more likely to have a smaller impact on you than if I say that it was halied by John Stevens. You might not even know who John Stevens is, and know that Hagop Oshagan is one of our most (if not THE most) accomplished critics, but just the fact that he is an "odar" tends to give him more respect.

Another thing is the "ghetto" aspect. In Haleb or Beirut, every Armenian lived close to each other. That is no longer the case. And then again there is the whole idea that America (or Canada, or wherever) promotes multi-culturalism, so there is this feeling that we're safe, which causes a diminution in effort,as nobody feels the urgency. So in that sense, Loser is right.

Comment

it just seems that way especially here in this culture these days... trust me.. it barely matters anymore to argue about it.. not worth it.
                How do you hurt a masochist?
                -By leaving him alone.Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Genuine_Stud
                  Hot Pockets! hahahah.

Damn Mr. Mouse. So THAT'S where you got your strength? From the cheese in the hot pockets huh?

*Note to self: eat more hot pockets.
                  A Hot Pocket a day, will keep the warped armo inside of you away.
                  Achkerov kute.

Comment

I used to talk to a guy from Glendale on the phone regularly. (good looking but dumb as a rock) I told him about all the different music I listen to from all these different countries...including Armenian of course and asked him what he listens to. He said only American and when I assured him that there is a lot of great stuff out there thats not known in the States and asked why he doesnt try it he said, "Uhhhh because I live in America?"

The US of A is a "melting pot". I dont care how much crap Americans talk about respecting different cultures. The US in general discourages strong ethnic identification.

Havent you ever asked a pale blonde where her ancestors are from and failed to get an answer? Havent you ever asked one her ethnicity to get, "I'm a white girl!"? Ever ask an African-American what country in Africa his ancestors are from? Do they even know that Africa has more than one country??

This is what America has done to people. Unless you yourself make an effort to keep your ancestors culture in your life, its gone. It's very sad, but its what I see since I moved here. Just be Armenian for yourself is all I can say about that. If others are so easily deluted let them suffer the consequences.

I am very glad to know that there are tight Armenian communities around the world. I hope to live in one some day. I know and love my heritage and accredit it to nothing other than my personal effort and desire. I am ARMENIAN-American. Anyone who has a problem with it can kiss my "white girl" butt! ~Svetlana~

Comment

Working...
                    X