Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Where In The World Is Scott Baio?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jasper
    As loyal fans eagerly wait for more news about Scott Baio's current film and television projects in 2005, let us revisit several informational articles or interviews concerning him after 2000 during the past few years.

Here's a second one from THE GW HATCHET dated May 19, 2003:

STILL IN CHARGE : THE SCOTT BAIO INTERVIEW
    by Chris Ingui

You know who Scott Baio is. Chances are, sometime while you grew up, his work made an imprint on you. For some it was the cute character Chachi on "Happy Days", for others it was Charles on "Charles in Charge". Didn't every child of the '80s at one point wish he was their house sitter? Ladies? Don't lie.

Baio's work has reached far beyond the roles that made him famous. If you were a fan of TV shows such as "The Wayans Brothers" or "Unhappily Ever After", guess what - Baio was the director. Recently, he has taken a go at the Independent Film scene in "The Bread, My Sweet", showcasing his talent as a genuinely achieved actor. On top of that, he is currently working with Wes Craven in the upcoming thriller "Cursed".

In a recent Hatchet interview, Baio spoke about his work as the main character, Dominic, in "The Bread, My Sweet" and what it was like to work with Craven.

On getting his "balls busted"
    Maybe it's something about Italian culture, but that's what we do. Break balls! I do it everyday of my life. On the set (of "The Bread, My Sweet"), people would rag on me about stuff I just wasn't capable of doing. But it was that sort of thing that made them kind of like my brothers. I would mess with them and they would mess with me. Stuff like that made me completely comfortable on every level of this movie.

The guy who played Massimo (John Seitz) in the movie would constantly yell at me. And I would just laugh at him because that's what I do anyway. He was such a blowhard. It was just like 'Shut up you xxxxing loud mouth! Be quiet!' So the real story of this movie is the actual making of this movie. That's where it all came from, from all of us sitting around between takes, messing with each other, making fun of everybody and every part of their physique or emotional status.

Wes Craven is a gentle, gentle man
    Wes Craven is the mellowest, most gentle man I've ever worked with. He never raises his voice. He's very quiet and gives you very precise directions. He sits down, watches and says 'OK, are you happy with that?' I gotta tell you. I was blown away by this. I would tell him 'Wes! You gotta get mad!' And he would say 'Why? What's the point?' It's interesting. He's got Hollywood Boulevard clothes. People flying all over to meet with him and all this xxxx going on and he's just in the middle of it looking around, taking it all in. And the entire crew under him, they're all just wonderful human beings. It's honestly the most relaxed and easy going set I've ever been on.

Recalling his sitcom past
    I very rarely came across rude or disrespectful people. I don't know how I slipped by all of them. But I honestly can't think of one experience off the top of my head that was like that. I'm sure they're there, but I'd have to think really hard to recall them.
    I hope you get banned. You are very annoying at this point.
    Achkerov kute.

Comment

I was reading an article on him in a magazine, and apparently he dated Pamela Anderson.

Comment

As loyal fans eagerly wait for more news about Scott Baio's current film and television projects in 2005 (aside from his forthcoming NBC sitcom and the recently broadcast "Happy Days 30th Anniversary Reunion Special" watched by more than 19 million tv viewers), let us happily revisit several informational articles or interviews concerning him after 2000 during the past few years.

Here's a third one from THE CINCINNATI ENQUIRER dated February 20, 2003
        (earlier than the previous two):

ACTING JUST EXCUSE FOR BAIO TO EAT IN "THE BREAD"
        by Margaret A. McGurk

In "The Bread, My Sweet", Scott Baio plays a man torn between corporate success and the joys of running an Italian neighborhood bakery while looking after his colorful immigrant landlords.

At 41, Baio is best known as a television actor ("Happy Days", "Charles in Charge", "Diagnosis Murder"), even though his career began on screen, as the 14-year old star of "Bugsy Malone".

He's made a dozen films, many of them independent features like "The Bread, My Sweet", which has become a long-running favorite in Pittsburgh, where it was filmed.

The movie is winning fans among Italian-Americans as well as food lovers. The story was inspired partly by the life of writer-director Melissa Martin and her husband Larry Lagatutta, who owns a bakery/deli that catered meals for the film crew.

Baio recently chatted with the Enquirer about making the movie which opens Friday at The Mariemont.

Question: Was it the food aspect of the story that appealed to you?
        Answer: I'm an Italian guy, and I like food. But I didn't really, quite honestly, see the food aspect of it until I saw the movie....Then I thought, this is a very food-oriented movie, isn't it? But when you're doing it, it's all fragmented.

Question: Did you learn how to do the baking for the movie?
        Answer: Actually, I bake bread now, great bread from scratch....When I got in the kitchen with Larry, Melissa's husband, he said, 'OK, we're going to bake biscotti.' I started flinging some dough around. The part that was hard for maybe a day was the actual cutting of all the stuff. There is a technique. I had to watch these guys, then after almost losing a finger or two I sort of got the hang of it.

Question: Did you walk around stuffed because there was so much food to eat on the set?
        Answer: What happens is, if you're around food enough, you start getting sort of sick of it....But the lunchtime was always fantastic. We shot this in the actual bakery, and Larry, he always when we had a break would say, 'Kid, c'mon downstairs. I wanna give you something to eat.'....So I got to eat quite a bit that way on the sly.

Question: In this movie, why is everybody always trying to feed everybody else?
        Answer: That is part of the Italian culture. I can remember when I was in New York, you're at somebody's house, the first thing you walk in the door, they stuff something in your mouth. 'You hungry now?' 'No.' 'Well, sit down and have something.'

Question: Do you have a specialty you make when you want to show off?
        Answer: I make a pretty good bowl of pasta with eggplant, which is quite appetizing.

Question: Did you relate to anything in particular in this story?
        Answer: This was probably one of the most enjoyable projects I've ever been on, for a lot of reasons. From day one, we were like - and you hear this a lot, and it always sounds like crap - but we were just like old friends. To work with Schuler (Hensley), who plays Pino the handicapped brother, he's a crazy man in a good way.....From day one we were like 12-year-old kids in school. Did I relate to anything? I related to everything.

Comment

Originally posted by jasper
          As loyal fans eagerly wait for more news about Scott Baio's current film and television projects in 2005 (aside from his forthcoming NBC sitcom and the recently broadcast "Happy Days 30th Anniversary Reunion Special" watched by more than 19 million tv viewers), let us happily revisit several informational articles or interviews concerning him after 2000 during the past few years.

Here's a third one from THE CINCINNATI ENQUIRER dated February 20, 2003
          (earlier than the previous two):

ACTING JUST EXCUSE FOR BAIO TO EAT IN "THE BREAD"
          by Margaret A. McGurk

In "The Bread, My Sweet", Scott Baio plays a man torn between corporate success and the joys of running an Italian neighborhood bakery while looking after his colorful immigrant landlords.

At 41, Baio is best known as a television actor ("Happy Days", "Charles in Charge", "Diagnosis Murder"), even though his career began on screen, as the 14-year old star of "Bugsy Malone".

He's made a dozen films, many of them independent features like "The Bread, My Sweet", which has become a long-running favorite in Pittsburgh, where it was filmed.

The movie is winning fans among Italian-Americans as well as food lovers. The story was inspired partly by the life of writer-director Melissa Martin and her husband Larry Lagatutta, who owns a bakery/deli that catered meals for the film crew.

Baio recently chatted with the Enquirer about making the movie which opens Friday at The Mariemont.

Question: Was it the food aspect of the story that appealed to you?
          Answer: I'm an Italian guy, and I like food. But I didn't really, quite honestly, see the food aspect of it until I saw the movie....Then I thought, this is a very food-oriented movie, isn't it? But when you're doing it, it's all fragmented.

Question: Did you learn how to do the baking for the movie?
          Answer: Actually, I bake bread now, great bread from scratch....When I got in the kitchen with Larry, Melissa's husband, he said, 'OK, we're going to bake biscotti.' I started flinging some dough around. The part that was hard for maybe a day was the actual cutting of all the stuff. There is a technique. I had to watch these guys, then after almost losing a finger or two I sort of got the hang of it.

Question: Did you walk around stuffed because there was so much food to eat on the set?
          Answer: What happens is, if you're around food enough, you start getting sort of sick of it....But the lunchtime was always fantastic. We shot this in the actual bakery, and Larry, he always when we had a break would say, 'Kid, c'mon downstairs. I wanna give you something to eat.'....So I got to eat quite a bit that way on the sly.

Question: In this movie, why is everybody always trying to feed everybody else?
          Answer: That is part of the Italian culture. I can remember when I was in New York, you're at somebody's house, the first thing you walk in the door, they stuff something in your mouth. 'You hungry now?' 'No.' 'Well, sit down and have something.'

Question: Do you have a specialty you make when you want to show off?
          Answer: I make a pretty good bowl of pasta with eggplant, which is quite appetizing.

Question: Did you relate to anything in particular in this story?
          Answer: This was probably one of the most enjoyable projects I've ever been on, for a lot of reasons. From day one, we were like - and you hear this a lot, and it always sounds like crap - but we were just like old friends. To work with Schuler (Hensley), who plays Pino the handicapped brother, he's a crazy man in a good way.....From day one we were like 12-year-old kids in school. Did I relate to anything? I related to everything.
          I hope you die tonight from horrible causes.

Comment

As loyal fans eagerly wait for more news about Scott Baio's current film and television projects in 2005 (aside from his forthcoming NBC sitcom and the recently broadcast "Happy Days 30th Anniversary TV Reunion Special"), let us joyfully revisit several informational articles or interviews concerning him after 2000 during the past few years.

Here's a fourth one from LAWRENCE.COM dated May 14, 2003:

SCOTT BAIO BREAKS AWAY FROM SITCOM REP TO HEADLINE ART FILM
            by John Niccum

TV veteran relishes role in indie romance.

"I had one woman come up to me and say, 'I had to tell you I did not want to see this film because YOU were in it,' " Scott Baio recalls. "It was because of all my television baggage. Then she said, 'But it made me forget everything I knew about you.' "

That reaction is common from audience members who witness the former sitcom regular transform into a commanding leading man in the indie romance "The Bread, My Sweet".

"I told her 'Thank you,' " he continues. "And she said, 'I had no idea you could do this.'

I said, 'I knew I could.' "

Shot in Pittsburgh with a next-to-nothing budget, "The Bread, My Sweet" is currently creating a word-of-mouth buzz a la "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". Although it's success is on a smaller financial scale, the artistic result is the same: a heartwarming, ethnic-themed movie that rises above it's contrived conventions.

"We've been compared to ('Greek Wedding') and some reviewers have said we're better than that movie." Baio says, speaking from his home in Los Angeles. "If you want to mention us and that movie in the same breath, go ahead. It's fine with me. Somebody was also comparing us to 'Moonstruck' and I said, 'Go ahead. Say anything that is great.' Go ahead."

In "Bread", Baio plays a bachelor executive who runs an Italian bakery on the side. When a family friend falls terminally ill, he hatches a scheme to marry her elusive daughter as a final gift towards her serenity.

The former sitcom star of "Happy Days" and "Charles-In-Charge" first became involved with the project when rookie writer-director Melissa Martin approached him with the script.

"I didn't want to do it at first because I didn't want to spend two months in Pittsburgh in the dead of summer playing a movie set in winter," he says. "It's a small movie. It's not a big-budget deal. I thought 'Man, this is gonna be rough.' But on the contrary, it was like going to camp."

The Brooklyn native - whose years of California living haven't eroded his accent - could relate to the extended Italian family of the film. Although his own upbringing didn't specifically reflect that of his movie character's, Baio saw abundant parallels.

"Attitude, yelling, the passion, the anger," he lists as similarities. "Italian people are fairly volatile, and I am one .....There's more yelling than anything. Its not mean yelling, its just yelling."

The actual shooting was a hoot for the 41 year old actor ("The work became sort of secondary to the playing," he says.) but once the film was completed, he had little expectations that it would find an audience.

"Even on a $100 million movie, you never know what's going to happen," he says. "I was like, 'Yeah, it will go to video and then go to cable.' But the company Panorama took a shot and did a theatrical on it. And I'm very surprised and very happy."

Baio actually made a trek to Kansas City in support of the picture during last May's Halfway To Hollywood Film Festival. Out of dozens of entries, "Bread" took home the Audience Favorite award and Baio was named Best Actor. (One of three, the other two later coming from the Atlantic City and San Diego Film Festivals.)

Despite the consistent critical and viewer praise, Baio admits the movie has yet to open any new career doors for him.

"The majority of people who see the film seem to like it," he claims. "But unless it gets to New York or L.A., noone cares. You know the mentality: There's nothing between New York and L.A. That's a horrible thing to say, because in my opinion the REAL people in the world are between those places. But that's the business."

Fortunately, Baio has a few other big-screen gigs in the works. He'll be seen in the kiddy flick "Baby Geniuses 2: Super Babies" in August. And he's been cast in "Cursed", the upcoming horror blockbuster from "Scream" originators Wes Craven and Kevin Williamson.

Considering the dozens of TV, feature film and direct-to-video efforts from his "colorful" past, Baio finds it hard to single out his most embarrassing moment.

"That's a long list," he confesses. "But I'll give you one. It's a film that I did in 1979 called 'Skatetown, U.S.A.' It's a roller disco movie with Patrick Swayze, Dorothy Stratten and Ron Palillo. It's just a goofy, horrible thing - And I've never seen one frame of it."

Comment

THE MYSTERIOUS LINKS BETWEEN SCOTT BAIO AND THE OSCAR AWARDS IN ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY

Now here lies a mysterious phenomena for Baio fans to contemplate upon:

When "Entertainment Weekly" magazine happens to mention Scott Baio (either as a footnote or punchline) during those very rare instances, there always seems to be a lead Oscar story within said issues.

Please allow me to cite a few illustrations:

CASE NO.1: Issue # 544 dated June 9, 2000 with Survivor, Will and Grace plus Kathie Lee Gifford on the cover.
              Scott's unsuccessful comedy "Baby Talk" was listed as an example of junk TV shows derived from hit movies on page 59.
              News and Notes commenced to evaluate the initial aspirants for the 2001 Oscar race several months beforehand on page 10.

CASE NO. 2: Issue #690 dated January 10, 2003 with Nicole Kidman and "The Hours" on the cover.
              Mr. Baio was credited as an original partner of Corey Feldman in the germinal development of his live-in celebrity reality series on page 36.
              Cover story focused upon the Oscar Best Actress winner on page 20. Reviews of the awardees for Best Picture ("Chicago") on page 46 and Best Actor (Adrien Brody in "The Pianist") on page 53.

CASE NO. 3: Issue # 704 dated April 11, 2003 with The Great American Pop Culture Quiz on the cover.
              Scott was mentioned in Question no. 56 on page 37.
              News and Notes gave industry tips on page 10 regarding how first-time Oscar winners should avoid the career mistakes of their predecessors.

CASE NO. 4: Issue # 733 dated October 17, 2003 with Jack Black and "School Of Rock" on the cover.
              Mr. Baio's name resurfaced twice in separate articles concerning Ted McGinley on page 50 and Melissa Gilbert on page 88.
              News and Notes examined the likely impact of the controversial DVD screeners ban upon the Oscar campaigns of small independent films on page 10.

CASE NO. 5: Issue # 749 / 750 dated February 6, 2004.
              Scott Baio answered Stupid Questions on page 156 of the 2004 Oscar Guide Special Double Issue.

CASE NO. 6: Issue # 782 / 783 dated September 10, 2004 with Matt LeBlanc and Drea de Matteo on the cover (EW'S Fall TV Preview Special Double Issue).
              Stupid Questions interrogated Tony Danza wherein Scott Baio got mentioned regarding their Italian-American man-turned-domestic sitcoms "Who's The Boss?" and "Charles-In-Charge" on page 172.
              Meanwhile, 2003 Oscar Best Actress Charlize Theron discussed her latest film project "Head In The Clouds" in News and Notes Q & A. 2001 Oscar Best Actress Halle Berry was stylishly featured in the glossy "Revlon On The Red Carpet" full-page ads. 2000 Oscar Best Actress Julia Roberts happened to be the main subject of EW's letters page, gracing their cover previously. ("Why Hollywood Can't Find The Next Julia Roberts.")
              And finally, an unexpected twist: the 2004 Emmy Ballot as the magazine's centerfold. (Also don't miss the humorous "Oscar-slumming triumvirate" joke on page 40.)

CASE NO. 7: Issue # 804 / 805 dated February 4, 2005.
              The Happy Days 30th Anniversary Reunion two-hour special (featuring Scott Baio among the cast) was reviewed on page 127 of the 2005 Oscar Guide Special Double Issue.
              (Note: I hold the key to solving the mystery behind the unexplained disappearance of Richie's older brother in the show. Simply this: Can you spell the name Chuck Cunningham without the letters C-H-A-C-H-I? No, it cannot be done. And there you have it, ladies and gentlemen. Richie's older brother vanished for about two years and returned as Fonzie's younger cousin. A miraculous transformation of sorts. Chuck became Chachi!! And Chachi was originally Chuck!! But that would ultimately mean poor Joanie dated and married her brother!!! GASP!!!!)

WHEN "ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY" MAGAZINE HAPPENS TO MENTION SCOTT BAIO DURING THOSE VERY RARE INSTANCES, THERE ALWAYS SEEMS TO BE A LEAD OSCAR STORY WITHIN SAID ISSUES.
              The mere fact that it has occurred at least SEVEN times seems quite uncanny. One truly must pause and ponder over this unusual synchronism.

SCOTT BAIO AND THE OSCARS. Just a crazy coincidence??? Or a harbinger of a future appointment with destiny?????
              (Given his marginalized celebrity status, he would have a more likely chance of landing Stephen Boyd's role in a glitzy-trashy miniseries remake of Richard Sale's potboiler-turned-campy 1966 film "THE OSCAR". But make no mistake about this single fact: Scott Baio would do a brilliant job of portraying the novel's central hero-heel Frank Fayne. While his stardom has diminished, his thespic range as an actor has evolved considerably. At least, in the eyes of people not blinded by their prejudiced left-wing agendas.)

Truthfully speaking, past Oscar winners really included known TV veterans such as Tom Hanks ("Bossom Buddies"), Art Carney ("The Honeymooners"), Sally Field ("Gidget" and "The Flying Nun"), Helen Hunt ("Mad About You"), Hilary Swank ("Beverly Hills 90210") and even Cher ("The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour"). Thus, why not a golden boy for Chachi someday in the future. Only time will surely tell.

Comment

Hey jasper, I mean Scott Baio, I hear you're going to be in a movie that's coming out this weekend. 'Cursed'. How nice for you! You haven't been on screen in the longest time.

p.s. If jasper really isn't Scott Baio, then I think the real Scott Baio needs to take out a restraining order against you, you seem very obsessed with him.

Oh wait! I figured it out... are you Scott Baio's agent?
                The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

As loyal fans patiently wait for more news about Scott Baio's current film and television projects in 2005 (aside from his forthcoming NBC sitcom, the "Happy Days" 30th Anniversary TV Reunion Special and his cameo in Wes Craven's "Cursed"), let us revisit several informational articles or interviews concerning him after 2000 during the past few years.

Here's a fifth one from THE TENNESSEAN, dated June 26, 2003:

DON'T ASK BAIO WHERE HE'S BEEN THE PAST 20 YEARS
                  by Keith Ryan Cartwright

Scott Baio - yes, that Scott Baio - has heard all the snickers that follow the mere mention of his name.

He's also keenly aware of the fact that, despite his steady acting work, in many minds he has faded from the pop culture landscape of television and is relegated to the list of "where are they now".

To most, largely because of syndication, he'll always be Chachi from the hugely successful sitcom "Happy Days". Others probably remember his starring stint from "Charles in Charge".

But be forewarned: If you happen to meet Baio and utter the infamously often-asked question ("What have you been up to lately?") you might notice a tad bit of sarcasm in the response.

"I just tell people that I'm retired," he said. " 'What are you doing?' 'Nothing, really.' That's your answer. 'Yeah, I'm retired.' "

Baio, 41, hits the big screen tomorrow in Nashville with the romantic independent film, "The Bread, My Sweet". He plays Dominic Pyzola, a second-generation Italian-American who leads a double life as a corporate raider and a soft-hearted owner of a biscotti company.

Retired? Hardly. The completion of his newly released film was six projects ago.

Baio was only 15 years old when he landed the role of Charles "Chachi" Arcola in 1977.

"Happy Days" already was an established ratings success story when Baio - a relative newcomer with one feature film ("Bugsy Malone"), a short-lived TV series ("Blansky's Beauties") and a made-for-TV movie ("Luke Was There") to his credit - was quickly thrust into teen-idol status.

"It was unreal in the true sense of the word," he recalled. "(Creator) Gary Marshall said to me one day, 'This is all wonderful, but it's fake.' "

Baio's ever-growing list of credits seems to be constantly overshadowed by the insane visibility that comes from being closely associated with one of the classic sitcoms of all times.

"I guess they're just surprised," Baio said. "I do sometimes take it as a little insulting, but I don't think they mean it like that. I think people sometimes say things that they don't really mean."

"Because of my history on television, I think, it surprises them that I might be decent or good. I know that I'm pretty good, but they don't. Everyone thought (John) Travolta was a joke until he made 'Pulp Fiction' ".

Although Baio's latest film, "The Bread, My Sweet", won't have the same effect as "Pulp Fiction" had for the former Sweat Hog, the little independent film Baio made two years ago is a solid example of his acting ability.

With a relatively small budget, even by independent film standards, Baio and co-stars Kristen Minter ("ER"), Rosemary Prinz ("As The World Turns") and Tony Award winner Shuler Hensley had to rely on their acting instincts as opposed to the special effects of other larger budget films.

"The Bread, My Sweet", a film Baio initially turned down until he met with first-time director Melissa Martin, has enjoyed critical succcess in the few cities where it premiered following a yearlong run in Pittsburgh theaters. The film is set in an Italian neighborhood in Pittsburgh.

"You make a film and you have no idea how it's going to turn out on any level," Baio explained, "whatever the budget may be. I did the movie and I thought, 'It was a lot of fun, it's a good story, and if it goes to cable, great.' "

"The fact that this little film is still playing in theaters is quite shocking."

Since "The Bread, My Sweet", Baio has made and released three small films - "Face Value", "Face To Face" and "Dumb Luck" - in 2001 and recently wrapped "Baby Geniuses 2: Superbabies" plus the forthcoming Wes Craven thriller "Cursed" with costars Christina Ricci, Omar Epps and Skeet Ulrich.

He is also developing a one-hour comedy, "Brothers in Law", that he co-wrote with Thomas Calabro ("Melrose Place"). Warner Bros. has purchased the script about two brothers who haven't seen each other in 17 years until they inherit a law firm.

"They hate each others' guts," he explained, "and the reason why they have to work together is really the hook."

Not a bad resume for a former child star who has been purportedly retired numerous times.

"This is a very cyclical business," Baio said. "There are peaks and valleys and it's the nature of the business. You just hope something happens and if it doesn't, oh well, that's life."

Comment

I think I am in love....I want to marry someone this determined.

Comment

As loyal fans patiently wait for more news about Scott Baio's current film and television projects in 2005, let us happily revisit several informational articles or interviews concerning him after 2000 during the past few years.

Here's a sixth one from THE POST-GAZETTE dated November 1, 2001.
                      (possibly the earliest article on "The Bread, My Sweet")

BAIO SAVORS 'THE BREAD'S LEAD ROLE
                      by Ron Weiskind, Post-Gazette Movie Editor

"The Bread, My Sweet" is a low-budget movie by a first-time director from Pittsburgh who shot most of it in a Strip District bakery owned by her husband. So how did the filmmaker, Melissa Martin, convince Scott Baio (TV's "Happy Days" and "Charles in Charge") to take the lead role?

"I've always wanted to learn to bake bread from scratch," Baio says on the phone from Palm Springs, Calif. "So I asked her if I could specifically learn how to bake bread, and she said, 'Yeah.' "

"I just thought, this will be really cool. There's something very earthy about doing all that. I'm not a spiritual guy, but I just thought it would be fun to just start kneading dough and throwing flour around and pounding it with a rolling pin. And now, I bake bread at home."

But he also sensed that Martin had cooked up something good with her screenplay. Pittsburgh finds out tomorrow when "The Bread, My Sweet" opens the annual Three Rivers Film Festival. The movie screens at 7 p.m. at the Regent Square Theater.

The script came to Baio through his agent who told the actor he probably wouldn't want to do it.

"What really got me into this was Melissa," Baio says. "I called her on the phone and started talking to her. I just immediately liked her. I thought, well, this will be kind of fun. She told me what she wanted to do and how raw she wanted to make it."

Baio plays a corporate shark who discovers a different kind of world when he meets an immigrant couple and finds himself moved to fulfill their last wish, even at the cost of his own success. Kristen Minter of "ER" also stars, along with Rosemary Prinz, John Seitz and numerous Pittsburgh actors.

He calls his character a simple guy who "realizes he doesn't want to be sucked into that corporate world....He just wants to bake. There's something really kind of sweet about that."

"I think he's good at two things. He's good at baking and he's good at firing people, which is what his job in the corporate world is."

Baio calls " The Bread, My Sweet", filmed in the summer of 2000, one of the best working experiences he's had.

"We instantaneously hit it off with everybody," he says. "It was like play. I mean that sincerely. This was fun."

"Walking around Pittsburgh was wonderful. The people were nice. I'm an Italian, East Coast guy, so I immediately bonded with a lot of Italian people down there in the Strip."

Baio's been busy in other films as well. He's in Palm Springs for the screening of his movie "Face To Face" at the Festival of Festivals. He stars in and co-wrote the movie, which is about a group of cousins who feel distant from their aging fathers and try to connect with the older men by forcing them to go on a long weekend getaway.

"Face To Face" won the award for best comedy at Florida's Marco Island Film Festival. The award for best drama at that festival went to "The Bread, My Sweet".

Comment

Working...
                      X