Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Interesting Art / Illusions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a portrait of Thoth from h-y-e-forum
    Attached Files
    Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Another skull. Drive carefully!!
      Attached Files
      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

But most of them were just an excuse for a lot of female nudity!
        Attached Files
        Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat
          This sort of thing is called a metamorphic painting. And for that one, Dali, being not a particularly original artist (IMHO), just nicked the idea from stuff that was around 50 years earlier. There are quite a few of his works that reuses the same sort of skull imagery - there is one which is a photograph composed of a pile of about a dozen naked women arranged to form the shape of a skull (he had fun doing that photo-shoot I bet!).

I'll post some metamorphic images from the 19th century. There was quite a fad for them then. Since this is an Armenian forum I'll start with two with a sort of Armenian connection - they are of that nasty old Ottoman sultan Abdul Hamid.
          Bell the _cat: Dali was one of *the masters of deception* with his own style full of visual surprises and hidden surreal images but he wasn’t an original artist.
          Actually, metamorphic art has been around over 400 years. (From 1500) Pay attention: Dali was born in 1904,and he adopted most of his ideas from stuff that was around 350 years earlier.
          And one of unusual and distinctive painter was Giuseppe Arcimbolodo.(1527)

Here is a few of his paintings, composite portraits of heads made up of fruits and flowers.

I have to admit that metamorphic art is very creative and artistic but am not big fan of it.

3D sculpturs utterly captivating though.
          I'm a monstrous mass of vile, foul & corrupted matter.

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat
            Is this a portrait of Thoth from h-y-e-forum
            haha heyyyyyyyyy steveeeeeeee.... that was a good one... remember me? its angel4hope...lol damn is thoth still there? lol man those were some funny days there...that old scarry man...he was something else... lol hahaha wow! ]]

btw i miss ure art stuff...

those ones u posted were awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by sleuth
              Bell the _cat: Dali was one of *the masters of deception* with his own style full of visual surprises and hidden surreal images but he wasn’t an original artist.
              Actually, metamorphic art has been around over 400 years. (From 1500) Pay attention: Dali was born in 1904,and he adopted most of his ideas from stuff that was around 350 years earlier.
              And one of unusual and distinctive painter was Giuseppe Arcimbolodo.(1527)
              Thanks sleuth - I was aware of those paintings with faces made out of arrangements of fruit and meat pictures, but I had forgotten all about them when I wrote what I did. But do they have any particular hidden message or meaning to them?

There are also metamorphic paintings made up of strips of card that are glued onto a background painting. But each side of the card also contains a strip of another painting. So if you look straight-on at the whole painting you see one picture, but if you move to the right or the left then the individual strips will visually come together and you see another painting that will comment on the subject matter of the first painting.

Was strikes me most about those photograph-like metamorphic images for the 19th century is firstly how realistic they are, and secondly, that they do convey a message - though maybe a bit of a heavy-handed mesasge at times, like the skull of death appearing in a scene of youth or love. I've seen ones of Napoleon composed of the dead that resulted from his wars, or a group of gossiping women that are arranged so as to form a devil-like face, and so on. They are an early form of photomontage I think, but for some reason seem to be completely neglected in books about art or photography.

As an art form it doesn't seem to be used much these days , though the film poster for Donnie-Darko used a metamorphic image.

Steve
              Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Originally posted by angelik22
                haha heyyyyyyyyy steveeeeeeee.... that was a good one... remember me? its angel4hope...lol damn is thoth still there? lol man those were some funny days there...that old scarry man...he was something else... lol hahaha wow! ]]

btw i miss ure art stuff...

those ones u posted were awesome!
                Hiya angel, yep sure I remember you

Thoth seems to have gone elsewhere. But since I've gone too (though not willingly ) it doesn't much matter. He is even scarier in real life though. (seriously!)
                Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Here is the original Donnie Darko movie poster using a metamorphic picture of Frank the scarey rabbit.
                  Unfortunately, when the film was re-released after it had gained a cult following the poster got changed to a more commercially sellable image. Grrrr
                  Attached Files
                  Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

[QUOTE=bell-the-cat]Thanks sleuth - I was aware of those paintings with faces made out of arrangements of fruit and meat pictures, but I had forgotten all about them when I wrote what I did. But do they have any particular hidden message or meaning to them?

Steve: I dont' think this portraits convay any hidden messages.Arcimbolodo wasn't content simply limitation of nature in his art.His fantasy took over his emotions and he produced some sort of anti-natuaralist abstraction.Look at the pictures. They are lack of emotions,feelings or any kind of messages.It's close to abstraction which means it's open for any kind of interpretation.For me they are way to dry.

Comment

Here is one of Shigeo Fukuda's 3d scuplturs.I saw few of his works in Kuala_Lumpur National Art gallery. (in my way to Australia).

This statue looks different when see from different angles:It can be a piano player or a violin player.

Comment

Working...
                      X