Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Money Concerns for Recent Graduates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The important thing to keep in mind is graduate studies is just as much about learning to survive below the poverty line as it is about education, making money, or any of the other "luxuries" of life like food, clothes, socializing, etc.
    this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by gaucho
      loseyourname good job with the honesty but come on man. don't discourage people like that lol. there's always other options for ANYTHING.
      not everyone's single main concern is money.
      ck about your loans. why did you have to start this thread and get me thinking about my life when I stop goin to college? why? why? lol
      Uhmmmmmm.... because it is something I am thinking about?! I've figured out what I want to do with my life, now if I could only start pocketing the money I am making. *Sigh* Also, going through the hassle of applying to graduate school is something I really don't feel like doing. Wonder if there's any chance I can pay someone to do it for me?
      The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

Originally posted by Seapahn
        The important thing to keep in mind is graduate studies is just as much about learning to survive below the poverty line as it is about education, making money, or any of the other "luxuries" of life like food, clothes, socializing, etc.
        Damn Seap, I tell ya, MARRY RICH!

lol

Kidding, of course lol
        The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname
          ....and I have a good memory for such things.
          Just don't ask him what he ate for breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie
            Serves you right for going to a private university.
            I'm excited about the tuition waivers in phd programs. Except John Jay College (CUNY) that I really really really would LOVE to go to, who doesn't offer that. What's wrong with them? Argh.
            That's when I'd have to take out loans. Living in Manhattan and having to pay 8k a year for school won't be easy. Beats USC tuition though, so I guess it could be worse.
            I probably won't even get in there, so it won't be an issue. Not gonna get my hopes up on that one.
            Wait you're from NY??? I didn't know that...

PS - I was lucky that I was able to pay for my education without loans. When I'm ready for the second round of mental anguish..I mean um education, I'm definetly going to a cheaper school.
            Last edited by patlajan; 11-20-2004, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by patlajan
              Wait you're from NY??? I didn't know that...

PS - I was lucky that I was able to pay for my education without loans. When I'm ready for the second round of mental anguish..I mean um education, I'm definetly going to a cheaper school.
              I'm not Pat. I'm meant if I get into CUNY and have to live there it won't be easy.
              [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
              -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

I'm not Pat. I'm meant if I get into CUNY and have to live there it won't be easy.
                If you can't afford CUNY you've got big problems. It doesn't get any cheaper than that. If you find a roomate you can live decently for about $550/m rent(with your roomate paying the same).

But why do you want to come all the way to NY? CUNY schools are nothing super special.

Comment

Originally posted by patlajan
                  If you can't afford CUNY you've got big problems. It doesn't get any cheaper than that. If you find a roomate you can live decently for about $550/m rent(with your roomate paying the same).

But why do you want to come all the way to NY? CUNY schools are nothing super special.
                  8k a year compared to nothing is a big difference. Many programs give their PhD students a FULL tuition waiver. Likewise, they like you to work 20hrs a week for them and not elsewhere. So, tuition and living expenses wouldn't be easy only working 20 hrs a week I don't think.
                  John Jay's not a special program for Forensic Psych? There aren't a whole lot of them to choose from really. There's Univ. of Arizona, Florida International, Univ of Minnesota, Univ of Nebraska, Univ Nevada Reno, Simon Fraser University (BC), and some crappy xxxx like Alliant. Which would you like to go to? Plus, I may decide I want to get a JD too.
                  [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
                  -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

8k a year compared to nothing is a big difference. Many programs give their PhD students a FULL tuition waiver. Likewise, they like you to work 20hrs a week for them and not elsewhere. So, tuition and living expenses wouldn't be easy only working 20 hrs a week I don't think.
                    John Jay's not a special program for Forensic Psych? There aren't a whole lot of them to choose from really. There's Univ. of Arizona, Florida International, Univ of Minnesota, Univ of Nebraska, Univ Nevada Reno, Simon Fraser University (BC), and some crappy xxxx like Alliant. Which would you like to go to? Plus, I may decide I want to get a JD too.
                    Well theoreticly after you get your phd you'll be making a lot more money. So taking out a loan would be a good investement.

John Jay has a good reputation for anything that resembles forensics. Plus there's all sorts of people in law enforcement people that you can make connections with hanging around that school.

Comment

Re: Money Concerns for Recent Graduates

Originally posted by ckBejug View Post
                      Well I got a private school degree and experience on a public school price, AND I guess since I worked the four years of college I already had four years of experience, so I wan't an entry level.
                      I think that's great that you got a private school education on a public school price. I was thinking about private school but the costs were so high I would have to take out to many student loans so I had to stick to public school. As long as I get a degree I will be happy but private always seemed better to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X