Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Do you have high speed internet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charter. the highest one..

Comment

Originally posted by gaucho
      so... what's the one at schools called?

free high speed blazing fast superman speed internet

Comment

Originally posted by gaucho
        so... what's the one at schools called?
        the school has its own servers. and most liel is connected to the net via a number of connections. its called a T1 or someting.?? im not sure which is which from T1, T2. and T3.. one is super expesive fiberoptic.. so thts probably no it.. LOL
        How do you hurt a masochist?
        -By leaving him alone.Forever.

Comment

my cable reaches 3.0+mb...never any lag, never below the top DSL speed even at peak times...so i guess im lucky if dsl is supposed to be better than cable.

Comment

Cable has much higher theoretical (and actual) bandwidth than DSL but it is shared between people. So it's not immediately clear which one is "better". I went with DSL because I didn't want to get cable TV service and without it, cable internet gets to be pretty expensive. You can't get DSL without regular phone service either but that was only $10 even though I never use it.

I get about 1.5 Mbps down and 384K up for about $40 (+ $10 for landline phone service) with SBC yahoo so I'm pretty happy. It's not as fast as cable but it is very consistent ... i.e. that speed is there any time of day. Where I live, cable internet in the long run would have ended up costing me like $80 a month ($40 for basic cable and $40 for internet).
            this post = teh win.

Comment

Thanks for the info.
              How exactly does the wireless router work? Do I just put the other computer within a couple of feet of it and it will be connected to the internet?

Comment

Originally posted by Emil
                Thanks for the info.
                How exactly does the wireless router work? Do I just put the other computer within a couple of feet of it and it will be connected to the internet?

It's more than a couple of feet but I think you need to put some sort of receptor in the USB port...at least in Belgium.

I'm not really found of wireless routers/modems they tend to slow down your bandwith and their emiting radius is not that big.

For the latest, you can fix it by putting a a big alluminium cover on it (a food can or something) and it'll make the radius much bigger

Comment

Originally posted by Emil
                  Thanks for the info.
                  There are several wireless standards. Most common ones are 802.11a, b, and g. Some routers are compatible with more than one standard. For example, mine can do both b and g. So whatever you buy, make sure it'll all work together. Also, 2.4Ghz bands (like 11b) will interfere with 2.4G phones (yours and neighbors) ... changing the channel might help but there is usually a lot of traffic on the 2.4Ghz band in crowded neighborhoods...

802.11b by far is the most common. Max rate is about 11Mbps and ranges are a few hundred feet depending on obstacles and obstructions and what not.

You will need the router and a wireless interface for the PCs you are trying to connect. I personally prefer to wire up my desktops to the routers using regular cat5 ethernet cable. My laptops and tabletPC, PDA etc all work on wireless. Some laptops come with wireless interface built in. Otherwise, you can use PCMCIA plug in cards or even USB interfaces.

"Wiring it up for wireless internet" is also not that hard. It's about the same way as wiring up a wired router. For wireless, you assing an ESSID name to your network and pick a channel. This is programmed in the router and all PCs. Then they either get their IP address from the router through DHCP or you can assign your own IP addresses.

Keep in mind that wireless is not safe and anyone can listen in or even connect to your router if they are in the neighborhood. You can enable encryption in the router or do things like filtering by MAC address etc but for now, don't worry about those.
                  Last edited by Sip; 11-20-2004, 12:12 PM.
                  this post = teh win.

Comment

Seaphan,

Whoa, that's alot of info.

This is the modem I get from them: http://www22.verizon.com/ForHomeDSL/...dem_router.asp

Comment

Sounds pretty cool ... so you can hook up to 4 wired networked PCs and as many wireless ones as you want. That's an 11g router so most likely it'll work fine with 11b as well but I can't be sure.
                      this post = teh win.

Comment

Working...
                      X