Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Nutty Turks just don't get it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nutty Turks just don't get it...

Turkish Town Exchanges St. Nick for Santa
    Local Hero's Statue Moved From Square

By Karl Vick
    Washington Post Foreign Service
    Thursday, March 24, 2005

DEMRE, Turkey -- In the 4th century, a bishop named Nicholas was a local hero in this seaside town, living the kind of life that eventually led to sainthood. For most of the 16 centuries that followed, Saint Nicholas was known chiefly as the patron of sailors, barrel-makers, small children and Russians.

And though it's not entirely clear just when the historical Saint Nicholas began to meld into the image of the jolly man in the red suit, historians can now say precisely when the transformation was complete. On Feb. 3, the Demre City Council voted unanimously to erect a statue of Santa Claus in the town square, replacing a bronze statue of the Saint Nicholas who merely lived here.

"This is the one everyone knows," Mayor Suleyman Topcu said of the plaster-of-Paris figure put up in place of the elegant bronze. "We couldn't figure out what the other one is."

They are finding out. The demotion of the real Saint Nicholas did not go unnoticed. Offended parties include Russian Orthodox tourists who venerated the saint made the patron of their homeland by Czar Alexander II; the sculptor, also Russian, who donated the bronze statue five years ago; tour operators who pitch Demre as part of a tour of Turkey's religious history; and an assortment of bystanders who see the town's elevation of Santa over Nicholas as the ultimate commercialization of, if not Christmas, something dignified and sacred.

"The one out there is a joke," said Ozay Eryener, a Turkish tour guide ushering a busload of Germans through the ruins of the ancient church from which Nicholas's bones were stolen in 1087 and spirited to Italy. The bronze statue, with its halo and arms extended benevolently, now stands at the entrance to the ruin, tucked unobtrusively between a stone pillar and a bit of wall.

Its demotion passed without comment by the Germans accompanying Eryener. "We prefer not to tell them," he said.

Demre is not a place where one more Saint Nick would necessarily attract a lot of notice. Images of the secular Santa beam from the stone archway at the edge of town. His bushy whiskers, rendered in lamb's wool, spring from the hand-woven wall hangings on sale in vendors' stalls. The city's official seal features a handsomely stylized Santa framed by a dashing red cap. A tinsel palm tree glimmers on streets lined with the real thing.

"We don't know what to think, really," said Guray Yilmaz, a local vendor. He stood in the shadow of the sun-blasted Santa, beside his display of local spices: nutmeg, red pepper, "sex tea" and black cumin. "The tour guides come and they get angry. Then other people say this is more popular.

"The local people say this is better," Yilmaz said, with a nod toward Santa. "The other was a priest, a Christian."

Turkey is, after all, overwhelmingly Muslim. Nicholas lived in Demre before the prophet Muhammad began reciting the words of God on a mountain in the Arabian Peninsula. In the 4th century, Demre was known as Myra and was part of the Roman Empire. Saint Paul changed boats in its harbor while roaming Asia Minor spreading the Gospel. A massive stone amphitheater still stands at the edge of town, drawing tourists in the lee of rocky cliffs laced with impressively carved tombs.

Nicholas, whose birthday is observed Dec. 6, was renowned both for his generosity and for his passionate, even violent defense of the young Christian church. He was said to have slapped the face of an Egyptian who questioned whether Jesus was equal to God. He also is said to have saved Myra from famine, three boys from being pickled in a barrel and several poor local women from lives of prostitution -- the last by secretly dropping bags of coins into their homes at night so that they could wed.

Such late-night largess may be the thread that connects the historical Nicholas with his modern incarnation, so famous globally that even Muslim Turkey claims a version.

"Noel Baba is our citizen," said Faruk Akbudak, a senior bureaucrat in Demre, using the Turkish for Father Christmas. "We respect him. We embrace him."

"Yes, the people prefer this one," said Topcu, the mayor. "But the foreigners do, too."

That may be true of some foreigners. Numerous Germans, whose affection for Christmas is legendary and who tend to visit Turkey's southern coast in the winter months, are said to have been receptive.

"It's like 'Christmasland' in America!" said Karen Loreol, a Swiss national on a German tour bus last week. "There is a replica of the 'Silent Night' church in Salzburg!

"I love it," she said. "Christmas is wonderful."

Russians feel differently. It was a Russian sculptor, Gregory Potosky, who cast the bronze statue as a gift to the city of Demre in 2000. And it was Russians who would pile out of tour buses -- as many as 80 buses a day in summer -- and fall to their knees to pray before it.

"And without letting us know, or letting the artist know, they changed the location, which shocked everybody here and in Russia," said a spokesman for the Russian Embassy in Ankara, the Turkish capital. "He's a very important saint, a very important figure in Russia."

Topcu said the city would take steps to mollify the Russians. The bronze, he said, will be given a more prominent position in the Church of Saint Nicholas, which Czar Alexander II paid to restore in the late 19th century. The move is promised by the time the Russians arrive in summer.

But there's no plan, he said, to take Santa off the pedestal.

"The old one was nicer," said Mehmet Cavus, another vendor in the row of stands pitching "Saint Nicholas icons" in signs written in Cyrillic, the Russian alphabet.

"And the old one the tourists treated as something holy," added Hayriye Koc, wandering over from her stand. "They respected it. They prayed to it."

She looked up at the man in the red suit. "This one," she said, "doesn't have that."

you know i f***n hate the turks... they advertise these place in the country as turkish history or ancient turkish churches... are poeple stupid? turks didnt even start to migrate to where armenia was from east asia until 1190... they had this advert for turky in the LA time, and so i cut it out and examined it, and saw that on the pilars of this HUGE building (which looked like where a king may have lived) had armenian writing on it...

lol! i was like, are they stupid? do they think we are stupid? or who is the stupid one here?

you see they dont know the worth or the actual history of some place and so when armenians want to go to ANI, they just say here it is, go look at it... they have nothing to say to armenian tourists...

i know they just want to make money, and they have seen what tourism brings to their country, and i dont blame them for that, but it ticks me off when they say come see the ancient history of turky... ARRRGGG! WHAT ancient history?

Comment

Yeah - I've seen quite a bit of this on my various trips to Turkey and have gotten in my share of arguments over exactly that. It does piss you off...

Comment

Damn Asiatics. They should just be proud of their own stuff instead of stealing ours and trying to pass it off as their own! I hate their government more than I hate ours.

Comment

Originally posted by nunechka
          lol! i was like, are they stupid? do they think we are stupid? or who is the stupid one here?
          I'd say THEY are stupid for thinking we are stupid.

Comment

Working...
          X