Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Impressions of Moscow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impressions of Moscow

Wow am I glad I dont live there anymore... I dont mean to sound like a Commie, but Moscow has gotten much worse since the collapse.

There is so much dirth there are rats on the street. In front of most apartment buildings there are huge homeless dogs who actually kill childeren regularly and nothing is being done. Police officers stop people for no reason and ask to see their passport in the hopes of catching someone and getting a bribe! If a person calls emergency and wants to go to a nice hospital they have to slip the medic money! Every girl is wearing either a mini skirt or a half cut shirt (or both) with a cigarette in one hand and a bottle in the other. Empty bottles are like decoration on every street. On the metro, half of the people sitting are men while women stand. There are five rows of cars on a three lane road! There are always accidents because everyone tries to pass each other and noone follows the traffic stops. I was scared to be in the car even in nice areas. I refuse to get behind the wheel in that city. People were so tacky and their faces look displeased at all times.

Forgive me for being so negative, but I needed a release. I just spent a month in Moscow and there were days where I just cried because I wanted to go home so badly. I dont remember it being SO bad... I now understand why they drink so much... Ive never been so glad to be in Michigan.

I did get to see nice places like the Cathedral of Christ the Savior and the Armory on the grounds of the Kremlin. The center is also beautiful. Its a place worth visiting for a few days with a nice hotel and a good site seeing plan.
    Last edited by ArmoBarbi; 08-05-2005, 04:41 PM.

There are five rows of cars on a three lane road! There are always accidents because everyone tries to pass each other and noone follows the traffic stops. I was scared to be in the car even in nice areas.
    Sounds like Yerevan.

Comment

Haven't been to Moscow since I was 12, obviously alot has changed, I'd say most parts of your post are similar to Armenia.

And yes, our cab in Yerevan almost got squashed between 2 trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmoBarbi
        There is so much dirth there are rats on the street. In front of most apartment buildings there are huge homeless dogs who actually kill childeren regularly and nothing is being done. Police officers stop people for no reason and ask to see their passport in the hopes of catching someone and getting a bribe! If a person calls emergency and wants to go to a nice hospital they have to slip the medic money! Every girl is wearing either a mini skirt or a half cut shirt (or both) with a cigarette in one hand and a bottle in the other. Empty bottles are like decoration on every street. On the metro, half of the people sitting are men while women stand. There are five rows of cars on a three lane road! There are always accidents because everyone tries to pass each other and noone follows the traffic stops. I was scared to be in the car even in nice areas. I refuse to get behind the wheel in that city. People were so tacky and their faces look displeased at all times.
        So what's your point?

I just spent over a month in Yerevan and most of what you said, except the thing about rats and girls, could apply to Yerevan as well. Nonetheless, I had a great time in Armenia and can't wait till I go back next summer.

Maybe this is news to you but Russia is going through a transition, Armenia is going through a transition. Therefore, all things don't have to be tailor made for your personal *suburban* pleasure. Just wondering: Would you recite similar horror stories after you visit Armenia?

There is more to a nation than how bad drivers on the streets are.
        Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well, if you consider the history of Russia they haven't exactly had a soft ride and you can see why people drink. Escapism.
          Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by skhara
            Sounds like Yerevan.
            Hahaha. That's what I told her on AIM.

Barbi, maybe you should go to Saint Petersburg next time?

Comment

Homeless dogs killing children??!

In Xayastan xomeless children kill dog!

Comment

I will be going to Peter for sure.

Originally posted by Armenian
                So what's your point?

I just spent over a month in Yerevan and most of what you said, except the thing about rats and girls, could apply to Yerevan as well. Nonetheless, I had a great time in Armenia and can't wait till I go back next summer.

Maybe this is news to you but Russia is going through a transition, Armenia is going through a transition. Therefore, all things don't have to be tailor made for your personal *suburban* pleasure. Just wondering: Would you recite similar horror stories after you visit Armenia?

Really?? I really thought that that was it! The point of the thread was to share my impressions of Moscow compared to my memories, not to discuss the "nation" of Russia. Next time remember the topic before you respond.

I know about the condition of Yerevan and still plan to spend a semester there next year. I went to Moscow as a tourist this time, with the purpose of having fun and seeing nice sites that I cant see in the US. In this case condition of the city matters. I was dissapointed and found my feelings worth sharing. (I really didnt think this needed to be explained...)

Comment

Originally posted by Armenian
                  So what's your point?

...all things don't have to be tailor made for your personal *suburban* pleasure...

I see what you mean: I often find more life, poetry, richness and joy in places that are not totally polished; polished to the point of being insipid, aseptic and characterless. Of course, it does not mean that I do not appreciate "cultural finesse." As a matter of fact, some think that one should appreciate the poetry and the rich nature of the "dark side" of life and its "disorder," in order to really appreciate "cultural finesse." Life is a sine qua non condition and the substance of poetry and cultural artifacts. Totally polished life is the mask of death!

P.S. ArmoBarbi, welcome back!
                  Last edited by Siamanto; 08-05-2005, 09:30 PM.
                  What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

Comment

In yerevan the girls aren't xxxxs atleast; and the police are nice about taking bribes. From what you described sounds like Armenia is doing better than Russia.

oh yeah and you don't have to be afraid to walk by yourself anywhere in Yerevan. At night there's even more people out all going to cafes and stuff.
                    Last edited by Thai-Samurai; 08-05-2005, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X