Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Ankap - Angry at the Mayans for a false prediction? POST YOUR GRIEVANCES HERE!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ankap

asl?

Comment

26/m/Glendale lol
      Achkerov kute.

Comment

pics?

Comment

You know, we could make this forum amazing... if only we tried. I only post at one other message board and they use the vBulletin, too.

They have "reps" where you can good/bad rep people. A lot of message boards have this, I'm surprised we don't. It's just fun to gain a lot of reps.

They have something called "Vet Status" or more recently known as "Support Status." Basically, if you contribute to the board and post often, you get it. They give you a small banner which states you are a Supporter and goes under your avy. You then have access to forums other posters don't. Special forums, with your own music links, better discussions without "normal" posters. You also can make your avatar MUCH BIGGER, up to 350 x 400, I believe. Everybody wants that and I received it over the weekend.

They also have Moderators/Admins like we do. These people can see who reps them, nobody else can.

I think those little things make people enjoy the forum and even have them stay. Here, we don't have many active posters so maybe that could attract them. I don't even know how to configure all those but I thought I should say.

Comment

Well, I'm all for it. I'm for having more moderators and someone being an active admin. Nimda and Siggie have been absent. Just the other day I got a message from Siggie, I replied and she still has not gotten back. I know she's very busy and I don't know how else they will get notice.
            Achkerov kute.

Comment

The idea of repping is something fun to have but not necessary. I think it's something we have disabled so it would be easy to set it on. I wouldn't even know how to configure the support status and the rest but what we really do need is an active admin.

That message board has 3-4 admins and over 20 moderators. They each moderate their own forums, not the entire message board itself. I rather have you as admin and make 1-2 people moderators so we can cover the entire forum with spammers.

Comment

Who felt that earthquake?

Comment

I felt it, I was at school teaching the kids, but Im proud of them they dididnt freak out.
                  Positive vibes, positive taught

Comment

The 5.4 Earthquake:

(Part 1)

A strong earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 5.4 jolted large parts of Southern California late this morning, shaking a wide swath from Ventura County to San Diego and causing minor damage and a few injuries.

The quake rattled buildings in downtown Los Angeles and was felt as far east as Palm Springs. It was centered near Chino Hills, about 30 miles east of Los Angeles, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

* An interactive earthquake primer
                    An interactive earthquake primer
                    * 5.4 quake rocks Los Angeles area
                    Photos: 5.4 quake rocks Los Angeles...

Video: Strong earthquake hits SoCal
                    Post-quake callers overload phone systems, both wireless and wired
                    What's closed, delayed after quake

"It felt like something had exploded underneath us," said Vanessa Rojas, 21, a hair salon employee at Blondie's Clip Shop in nearby Chino. "The ground lifted, then it began to shake. It was a big ripple."

There were minor injuries and structural damage at the St. Jude Centers for Rehabilitation and Wellness in nearby Brea, an outpatient medical facility, according to a representative. TV helicopter footage of the Chino Hills area showed people being evacuated from schools and some buildings, but no major damage.

Pomona City Hall was closed as workers surveyed the damage, which was mostly broken glass. On the northern side of the building's third floor, a worker used a shovel to remove what little glass remained in a large window frame.

Earthquake maps
                    Map
                    Larger Map | KML
                    » USGS shake map | KML
                    » How strong did it feel?
                    » Aftershock forecast
                    » Nearby fault lines
                    Resources
                    » Quake details from USGS
                    » Major historical SoCal quakes | Statewide
                    » Graphic: How to quake-proof your home
                    More news
                    » Latest reports from L.A. Now
                    » Quake occurred about eight miles under Chino Hills
                    » 'Really, really scary' in Chino Hills quake epicenter
                    » L.A. Unified finds no damage at schools
                    » SoCal Theme parks, rides remain open
                    » Quake has everyone a-Twitter | Live search

By midafternoon, some normalcy was returning. Nerves were still frayed in Chino Hills, but lives otherwise had largely returned to pre-quake status. At the Vons supermarket on Chino Hills Parkway, for example, all the aisles had been cleaned up two hours after the quake toppled glass jars off shelves and sent plastic containers bouncing to the floor.

The magnitude of the quake, which struck at 11:42 a.m., was originally set at 5.8. Caltech officials later downgraded it to 5.4 and said they doubted the temblor caused major structural damage.

Kate Hutton, a staff seismologist at Caltech, said that by 12:30 p.m., 27 aftershocks had been recorded at various sites, with the largest measuring 3.8. Today's temblor "was somewhat similar to the [1987] Whittier Narrows [quake]," Hutton said. "Most everyone in the L.A. Basin felt it. Things will have fallen off shelves. I'd be surprised to see some structural damage. There could be some cases of cracked plaster and maybe broken windows, but not structural damage, which is when a building is compromised."

She called the quake an "oblique flip on a thrust fault," which means one fault line slides over another one.

The quake occurred seven miles below the Earth's surface, which she said was fairly shallow by global standards. A much deeper one would not be felt so strongly but, overall, would be felt over a larger area.

"The most interesting thing to us is that this is the first one we've had in a populated area for a long time," Hutton said. "People have forgotten what an earthquake feels like. We should look at this as an earthquake drill for the Big One that will come one day."

She said today's quake was significantly smaller than the Whittier Narrows quake.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger activated the Office of Emergency Services and in a statement urged people throughout Southern California to cut back on telephone use because the system was being "maxed out."

Raja Mitwasi, chief deputy director of the California Department of Transportation office in Los Angeles, said traffic on the county's highway system was not disrupted by the earthquake. He said Caltrans has been monitoring traffic from its traffic management center. The agency is also inspecting highway bridges and pavement.

"So far, there is nothing visible. We don't even see minor damage," Mitwasi said. "Traffic appears to be moving normally. We don't see any delay."

Irvine police closed the Bake Parkway connector to Interstate 5, fearing that the overpass might have been damaged. Glenda Dobbins, a Caltrans representative, said that engineers found a small separation in the expansion joints of the truck overpass. She said the joints were intended to absorb earthquakes and swaying roads.

Dobbins said engineers had also inspected a reported problem at the eastbound 91 Freeway west of the 241 Freeway, but found no damage.

"Our engineers are out there checking all of our freeways, and at this point we have nothing to report as far as damage," Dobbins said.

The biggest initial concern was in San Bernardino County, which is particularly susceptible to damage because its high water table makes the ground unstable during shaking.

But there were no reports of injury to people or of structural damage, said Jodi Miller, a spokeswoman for the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department. Phones in the Chino Hills Sheriff's Station have been working intermittently, but the emergency dispatch center has had no disruptions, she added.

Comment

(Part 2)

Sheriff's officials have been responding to calls from people whose house alarms were activated. They also heard reports of books and groceries flying off the shelves at supermarkets and at a local Barnes & Noble bookstore.

Miller said the department was inundated with calls from people who were frightened by the shaking.

* An interactive earthquake primer
                      An interactive earthquake primer
                      * 5.4 quake rocks Los Angeles area
                      Photos: 5.4 quake rocks Los Angeles...

Video: Strong earthquake hits SoCal
                      Post-quake callers overload phone systems, both wireless and wired
                      What's closed, delayed after quake

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said it had no immediate reports of serious injuries.

Five people suffered minor injuries at a building in the 3600 block of Wilshire Boulevard in the rush to exit, and flooding occurred at a Macy's in Topanga Plaza.

The downtown Stanley Mosk Courthouse on Grand Avenue was evacuated as a precautionary measure but later reopened. The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors was in closed session at the time of the earthquake and did not suspend its meeting.

Earthquake maps
                      Map
                      Larger Map | KML
                      » USGS shake map | KML
                      » How strong did it feel?
                      » Aftershock forecast
                      » Nearby fault lines
                      Resources
                      » Quake details from USGS
                      » Major historical SoCal quakes | Statewide
                      » Graphic: How to quake-proof your home
                      More news
                      » Latest reports from L.A. Now
                      » Quake occurred about eight miles under Chino Hills
                      » 'Really, really scary' in Chino Hills quake epicenter
                      » L.A. Unified finds no damage at schools
                      » SoCal Theme parks, rides remain open
                      » Quake has everyone a-Twitter | Live search

The quake interrupted a meeting of the Los Angeles City Council, causing the 27-story City Hall to sway just as Councilman Dennis Zine was criticizing a plan to increase trash fees.

"Earthquake! Earthquake! We've got an earthquake," Zine said as members of the audience began to cry out.

Phoenix native Nathan Blaylock was lying in bed watching television in his penthouse apartment in downtown Los Angeles when he felt his first earthquake.

"It felt like someone hit the side of the building. It was rocking," said Blaylock, a medical equipment salesman who said he has lived in Los Angeles for about seven months. "It scared me a little bit, then I realized what it was."

Elevators at the Pegasus Apartments, Blaylock's building, shut down as a result of the earthquake.

Shaking was also felt Orange County and officials were checking reports of possible minor runway damage at John Wayne Airport.

"It's the first time in my life I actually got under my desk," said Anaheim Police Sgt. Ken Seymour, a Southern California native.

By late afternoon, agencies around Southern California had good news to report. Southern California Edison said its systems were operating normally. A spokeswoman at Los Angeles International Airport said no flight operations had been disrupted, and the only damage appeared to have been to a water heater at Gate 71 in Terminal 7, which caused some flooding in the checked baggage areas. The administration building was briefly evacuated to allow inspectors to check for damage.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority reported that it had restored light-rail and subway schedules by mid-afternoon, and that inspectors found no damage along Metro's 73 miles of track. Some Amtrak trains were delayed up to an hour or so for track inspections.

Classes at Cal State Fullerton were canceled for the day, but all other Cal State and University of California campuses in the area remained open.

Los Angeles Unified School District reported minor damage at three schools east of downtown, and said ceiling tiles were damaged at a middle school campus in Chatsworth.

On the UC Irvine campus, a community college student attending a special summer program began to cry as her classroom pitched and rolled for about 30 seconds. She was comforted by a counselor and soon was smiling and chatting again.

Rides at Disneyland and California Adventure were temporarily shut down after the tremors. Under the park's normal safety procedures, a spokesman said, each ride is shut down after a moderate earthquake and tested before being operated again.

The quake was felt forcefully in Long Beach, where a series of sharp, loud jolts hit. Dozens of office workers evacuated high-rise buildings downtown, but there were no immediate reports of damage.

Los Angeles County officials closed courthouses in Pomona, Norwalk, El Monte and Long Beach as a precaution and activated the county Emergency Operations Center until 5 p.m.

In Los Angeles, Councilwoman Wendy Greuel found herself at the helm of the nation's second-largest city because Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and City Council President Eric Garcetti were out of town on vacations.

"It's been exciting," Greuel said at an afternoon news conference after being whisked out of the council chambers, where she had been presiding over a council meeting, and taken to the city's Emergency Operations Center deep beneath City Hall.

"All of us who live in Southern California live with the possibility of an earthquake each and every day," Greuel said at the news conference. "Today, we were lucky."

In Alhambra, an apartment building rolled and the foundations shook, but not enough to knock books off shelves.

By late afternoon, even residents of Chino Hills, the epicenter, were taking things in stride, including Emily Feilen, 11. She was inside her home when the quake hit, and thought the shaking was caused by her father, who was installing bathroom cabinets.

"Just get outside," her father, Mike Feilen, told her, and both ran. The shaking stopped just as they got to the street.

Three hours later, she was back on the sidewalk -- on her skateboard.

Monday's quake stood in sharp contrast to one that occurred in the area in 1987. Then, three people were killed and about 10,600 homes and businesses were damaged in the magnitude 6.1 Whittier Narrows earthquake and a magnitude 5.5 aftershock, and thousands of people were displaced. Many more, their nerves rattled, slept outside on sidewalks or in parks for days after the quake, prompting the Red Cross to erect circus tents for people to sleep in. The quakes caused more than $125 million in damage.

Comment

Working...
                      X