Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Just Got My First Speeding Ticket.. Got a Couple Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just Got My First Speeding Ticket.. Got a Couple Questions

On another thing, my cousin said you can only extend the court date once. Is that true? Or can I keep calling and keep pushing it back, until like a year?

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way
      I know, but his "chase down" thing is not true, plus he told me "don't go to court, just pay the ticket and go to traffic school". Kinda shows that he doesn't wanna show up to court himself.

I've also done traffic school for 20+ people, and I can do them in 15 minutes or less, lol. That parts not a problem, but the $500 ticket is.

I'm probably gonna pay anyway.
      Well you don't really know what "chase down" means and one mistake like that doesn't mean you didn't speed, so it's unlikely that it'll be dismissed for that.
      My uncle got a speeding ticket and the color of his car was wrong and that didn't get it dismissed and he was going 10 over, not 45.
      I think if he shows up, you're not going to win. He may not have told you not to fight it because he doesn't want to go, but because you won't win. Don't try to guess.
      If the location wasn't near you, you can have it moved to a different court which would have increased the chances he wouldn't come though.
      [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
      -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Hmm. The court is in Chatsworth, down in the valley.

Won't it be smart to move it to somewhere in Glendale, or somewhere else, and keep extending the date? There's a very big chance he won't come. I just don't wanna pay the bail, lol. That's a lot of money being thrown to a ticket.

Comment

That book I mentioned addresses this stuff... See if any bookstores carry it. Don't even buy it. No need. Just look through it there.
          [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
          -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Whether you contest the ticket or not, you still have to pay it for now I think.
            this post = teh win.

Comment

If you speed often, I'd say pay it and use it as a learning oportunity. But if you really don't usually speed, as you say, then, I don't see anything wrong with pleading no contest, which is like saying you're not sure if you're guilty or not, going to court and being frank and appologetic with the judge. Tell her/him, the street is wide was very empty at the moment and for a second you lost control of speed and usually it doesn't happen. Obviously, tell her you don't have the money to pay. Don't be argumentative and basically put yourself on the judge's mercy. This way, if you loose, it won't be worse than paying it right now and a school. You could candidly ask the judge about the "chase" thing. If the judge feels for you, you could get away without paying and a 6 month grace period (meaning if you get caught speeding during those 6 months you'll pay this ticket in addition to the new one).

Either way, don't speed, especially while you're still young. Develop those important motor skills first and get a better insurance.

Comment

whenever I contest speeding tickets I like to tell the judge how I feel.
                Like this. "Woot Woot! That's the sound of da police. Woot Woot! That's da sound of da beast." Then I cross my arms in front of me and make a pouty face.

Honestly IMHO fight the man to the bitter end. One time my friends and I went to go swimming in my community pool at 1 a.m. And I parked in the handicap spot. This was MY neighborhood pool, at 1.a.m. (honestly what handicap fool is gonna drive to his own neighborhood pool, park in the handicap spot and go swimming?) Anyway some concerned neighbor called the cops on us and they wrote me a $360 ticket. I contested in a letter, which they sent back and so not dismissed, then it said I could contest one more time but it would have to be a personnel appearence at court. So I checked that box and sent it back again. I got it back and it said dismissed.

Comment

Nice going.

The thing is, last night, I came home from school and my family was sitting around discussing my ticket. My parents told me to pay the ticket and do my traffic school - then go down to court and try to have it reversed. They said you can do that, because they've done it before. Apparently, I tell them I did my duty by paying and going to traffic school, but I think I'm not guilty. If the cop isn't there, I win. If he is, I just have to speak what I think is right. My dad said if I win, they'll send me my money back. And if I lose, I won't really "lose" anything. I will have already paid, and I will have already done my traffic school, so I'll walk out with my money gone. That's okay, I guess.

But I really wanna know if I can request a court near my house. That way, I can switch the cities and extend the court date. That way, the cop is bound to not show up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip
                    But if he has you on radar, you have to the following courses of action:

3. You can make a reasonable case that you were speeding safely.. I doubt any judge is going to go for 79 in a 35 being safe but there are times when you can make a valid case for it.
                    Since he was going over 65, that won't work. I don't know how ghetto of a place Chatsworth is, but the outdated radar calibration argument seems like a good one.

Comment

In other news, I got a parking ticket today.

Comment

Working...
                      X