Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Irony of religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Irony of religion

Originally posted by Sip
    I don't. I don't believe strongly about any religion (including the anti-religion as you mean it)....

But the anti-religion I have doesn't say that "there is no God" ... it just says that religion can't be proven right so there is really no reason to "believe" in it as The Truth (it's the tired old agnostic/atheist/etc debate).
    Well said.

I think too many people confuse religion with the divine. I like that bumper sticker, “God is too big to fit into a religion.” (and also that one... "We make a great team. I'm lost, you follow." )

Antecendent unclear in these metaphysical/supernatural 'phone calls' :

--Headstrong, Trapt
    Back off I’ll take you on
    Headstrong to take on anyone
    I know that you are wrong and this is not where you belong
    I can’t give everything away
    I won’t give everything away

--One Thing Correct, Finger Eleven
    If I traded it all
    If I gave it all away for one thing
    Just for one thing
    If I sorted it out
    If I knew all about this one thing
    Wouldn’t that be something?

--Give It Away Now, Chili Peppers
    Never been a better time than right now

Bob marley poet and a prophet
    Bob marley taught how to off it
    Bob marley walkin’ like he talk it
    Goodness me can’t you see I’m gonna cough it

Give it away give it away give it away now

Give it away now
    Give it away now
    Give it away now
    Give it away now
    Give it away now
    Give it away now
    Give it away now
    Give it away now
    Give it away now
    Give it away now
    Give it away now
    Give it away now
    Give it away now
    Give it away now
    Give it away now
    Give it away now
    Give it away now
    Give it away now

--Big Yellow Taxi, Counting Crows (differs from Joni’s)
    I don't wanna give it
    Why you wanna give it
    Why you wanna giving it all away
    Hey, hey, hey
    Now you wanna give it
    I should wanna give it
    Now you wanna giving it all away

--Real Situation, Bob Marley
    Check out the real situation:
    Nation war against nation.
    Where did it all begin?
    When will it end?

--No Woman, No Cry, Bob Marley
    Good friends we have, oh, good friends we've lost
    Along the way.
    In this great future, you can't forget your past;
    So dry your tears, I seh.

No, woman, no cry;
    No, woman, no cry.
    'Ere, little darlin', don't shed no tears:
    No, woman, no cry.

--Battlefield of Love, Lenny Kravitz
    I am a soldier
    A casualty of love
    I've been from heaven
    All the way to hell
    I've had a journey
    Much more than I can tell
    I've got stories
    Much more than I can sell

(Give it away now)

I'll take shytty music for $1000, Alex.
    --If I Ever Lose My Faith in You, Sting
    You could say I lost my faith in science and progress
    You could say I lost my belief in the holy church
    You could say I lost my sense of direction
    You could say all of this and worse but

If I ever lose my faith in you
    There'd be nothing left for me to do

Some would say I was a lost man in a lost world
    You could say I lost my faith in the people on TV
    You could say I'd lost my belief in our politicians
    They all seemed like game show hosts to me

)
    Last edited by Anahita; 03-19-2006, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Some 'soup' for Tomservo

--Chick 'N Stew, System of a Down

This ballgame's in the refrigerator, door is closed,
      Lights are out, butter's getting hard

Need therapy, therapy,
      Advertising causes need

Comment

When did this become a song lyrics thread?

Comment

Originally posted by One-Way
          When did this become a song lyrics thread?
          Well, how about you tell me why you're a goddess and why I should believe you are, and we'll go from there

Comment

I can sense the tension between us growing.

Comment

I can sense the tension between us growing.
              But, what sense are you using? I love you. I don't have tension, do you?

Comment

Nope.

Comment

Nope.
                  Ok then...

I hope you don't feel that I'm making fun of religion. I think what you (not just you, but in general) think/believe is great, for you, so long as your religion doesn't harm. (Christianity has done both major harm, and good...) I just have a very hard time with 'religion' being forced onto others. Religion and ethics are very different things. Tell me something about what you think is unethical, and we'll have a discussion.

Many issues 'debated' right now in politics are not 'debated' at all. They are 'faith based.' I am VERY certain that some of these 'faith based' arguments are BUNK.

But, if tell me the reason is 'someone said so,' how can we have a discussion?

So... let's talk.
                  Last edited by Anahita; 03-20-2006, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Religion isn't forced onto anyone.

Comment

Religion isn't forced onto anyone.

McCarthyism was a period in American history during the 1950s characterized by intense anti-communist sentiment and political repression. Led by Senator Joseph McCarthy, this era was marked by fear, suspicion, and the blacklisting of individuals perceived as having communist ties. Origins of McCarthyism The origins of McCarthyism can be traced back to the post-World War ... Read more

Quick sample.

I LOVE THIS SONG...

--Christians and the Pagans, Dar Williams

Amber called her uncle, said "Were up here for the holiday,
                      Jane and I were having solstice, now we need a place to stay."

And her Christ-loving uncle watched his wife hang Mary on a tree,
                      He watched his son hang candy canes all made with red dye number three.

He told his niece, its Christmas eve, I know our life is not your style,

She said, Christmas is like Solstice, and we miss you and its been awhile,

So the Christians and the Pagans sat together at the table,
                      Finding faith and common ground the best that they were able,

And just before the meal was served, hands were held and prayers were said,

Sending hope for peace on earth to all their gods and goddesses.

The food was great, the tree plugged in, the meal had gone without a hitch,

Till Timmy turned to Amber and said, "Is it true that you're a witch?"

His mom jumped up and said, "The pies are burning," and she hit the kitchen,

And it was Jane who spoke, she said, "It's true, your cousin's not a Christian," but we love trees, we love the snow, the friends we have, the world we share,

And you find magic from your god, and we find magic everywhere

Finding faith and common ground the best that they were able.

And where does MAGIC come from? I think magic's in the learning,

Cause now when Christians sit with Pagans only pumpkin pies are burning.

When amber tried to do the dishes, her aunt said, "Really, no, dont bother."

Amber's uncle saw how Amber looked like Tim and like her father.

He thought about his brother, how they hadn't spoken in a year,

He thought he'd call him up and say, "It's Christmas and your daughters here."

He thought of fathers, sons and brothers,

so then his own son tugs his sleeve, saying, "Can I be a Pagan?

Dad said, "We'll discuss it when they leave."

Finding faith and common ground the best that they were able,

Lighting trees in darkness, learning new ways from the old, and Making sense of history and drawing warmth out of the cold.
                      Last edited by Anahita; 03-20-2006, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X