Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Irony of religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Irony of religion

Originally posted by Anonymouse
    That is a good attempt at trying to be philosophically adept. I am to guess that you are also one of the people that believe evolution is not faith based, eh?

However, you missed my point, which was that everything, at its core, is a metaphysical assumption.
    I understand your point. I was being facetious. Without some logical assumptions (like you actually DO exist independent of my metaphysical belief in your existence), what would be the point of discussion?

In order for me to answer your question about evolution, you'd need to explain what you mean. Do you mean a change in gene frequency through time in a population? That isn't a theory based on faith, but very much a demonstrable fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Anahita
      I understand your point. I was being facetious. Without some logical assumptions (like you actually DO exist independent of my metaphysical belief in your existence), what would be the point of discussion?

In order for me to answer your question about evolution, you'd need to explain what you mean. Do you mean a change in gene frequency through time in a population? That isn't a theory based on faith, but very much a demonstrable fact.
      I suggest the reader look into the various evolution threads that have been made and read it.
      Achkerov kute.

Comment

I suggest the reader look into the various evolution threads that have been made and read it.
        I am aware of many debates concerning 'evolution.' Search for 'evolution' here, alone, and you'll get pages of thread titles, alone. My question (regarding your question to me) was what do you mean by the word evolution.

Comment

I am personally more in favor of the scientific methods. It is true that science is based on a set of fundamental axioms (Anonymouse wants to call it "faith" which is fine) which cannot really be proven. But then everything else is proved based on those. However, the difference between scientific methods and religion can be summarized as this:

Religion assumes all its suppositions are true and goes on from there.

Science says IF its aximos are assumed to be true, THEN we have a method in place to go on and build knowledge from there.

I don't think a scientist will argue absolute truths like what a typical religious person might do. For the religious, the Truth is The Truth and no doubts about it. For the scientist, there is no such things as "Truth". There is only truth in presence of a set of assumed basic principles.

Needless to say, obviously I prefer the latter.
          this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip
            I am personally more in favor of the scientific methods. It is true that science is based on a set of fundamental axioms (Anonymouse wants to call it "faith" which is fine) which cannot really be proven. But then everything else is proved based on those. However, the difference between scientific methods and religion can be summarized as this:

Science says IF its aximos are assumed to be true, THEN we have a method in place to go on and build knowledge from there.

I don't think a scientist will argue absolute truths like what a typical religious person might do. For the religious, the Truth is The Truth and no doubts about it. For the scientist, there is no such things as "Truth". There is only truth in presence of a set of assumed basic principles.

I prefer the scientific method, as well. Though I do have some qualms with the way modern science is conducted. That isn't a flaw in the scientific method, but rather, the practice of science. Scientists (if not true to what science is about) can become fundamentalist, as well.

Science isn't objective, but AT LEAST tries to be. If I do a scientific experiment, I choose the hypothesis. I choose the relevant variables. I calibrate. One can do lots with calibration, alone.

I think this is a brilliant observation (This might give bell-the-cat, ever-collecting-more-data, a cheshire grin :

“Science usually settles issues by testing an idea against observations of a material system. This approach to problem solving has a history of working so well that another class of solution is often overlooked. Instead of focusing on how to limit or control the problem space in order to achieve predictability, hierarchy theory is useful in finding ways of framing a question. In many problematic situations, the challenge is to fins a new perspective that works rather than to acquire more data within an old framework. In such cases, a solution cannot be found by making more observations, because the contradiction, disagreement, or uncertainty does not reside in some unresolved aspect of the material system. Looking agian or more closely will not help. There is not an insufficiency of data but rather some internal conflict in the way one or more observers have chosen to look at the world. In these cases, the heart of the problem resides in an inadequate question.”
            _Hierarchy Theory. _ Allen.

(I typed quick, so there might be major typos...)
            Last edited by Anahita; 03-20-2006, 09:31 PM.

Comment

I am aware of many debates concerning 'evolution.' Search for 'evolution' here, alone, and you'll get pages of thread titles, alone. My question (regarding your question to me) was what do you mean by the word evolution.
              As I said, if you read the actual threads in which the title specifically deals with evolution, you will see my position. I just don't want to deflect this thread any more than it already is.
              Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip

That is my point though, that underneath everything there is that essential metaphysical assumption.

The scientific method is the best method to gain knowledge of the physical world. As such it is extremely limited in its application, what it can do, and what sort of knowledge we gain.

Religion, religions, and spirituality are more concerned with the why's, and the world beyond mere physical empiricism.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

That is my point though, that underneath everything there is that essential metaphysical assumption.

The scientific method is the best method to gain knowledge of the physical world. As such it is extremely limited in its application, what it can do, and what sort of knowledge we gain.

Religion, religions, and spirituality are more concerned with the why's, and the world beyond mere physical empiricism.
                  And this is where I think quantum physics/'new' physics has something to offer to bridge material science and ‘spirituality.’ (Nothing that is that ‘new’ to ‘native science’ though.) New physics for science might be something like the tablet that permitted translation of Egyptian hieroglyphics to modern language.

Comment

And this is where I think quantum physics and 'new' physics has something to offer to bridge material science and ‘spirituality.’ (Nothing that is that ‘new’ to ‘native science’ though.) New physics for science might be something like the tablet that permitted translation of Egyptian hieroglyphics to modern language.
                    And this is where I would call 'science' but another name for 'religion'.
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

And this is where I would call 'science' but another name for 'religion'.
                      Oh, those chaotic butterfly wings...

"The rapidly accelerating discoveries of Chaos are overtaking our worldview. They teach us that Newton, and indeed almost all of the pre-chaos scientists, were dead wrong in their basic view of the Universe. They thought that there was a predictable cause and effect for everything, and that everything happened according to fixed physical laws. They believed in certainties, not probabilities. Their fundamental image of the Universe was a big clock."

--CLOCKS, Coldplay
                      Lights go out and I can't be saved
                      Tides that I've tried to swim against,
                      You've put me down upon my knees
                      Oh I beg, I beg and plead, singing

Come out of things unsaid
                      Shoot an apple off my head

Last edited by Anahita; 03-20-2006, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X