Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Blaine Fails to Attempt Underwater Record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blaine Fails to Attempt Underwater Record

NEW YORK - Stunt Artist

David Blaine was pulled from an aquarium by divers Monday nearly two minutes short of his goal of setting a world record for holding his breath underwater.

Blaine was trying to free himself from chains and handcuffs while bidding to break the record of 8 minutes, 58 seconds for holding one's breath underwater. The stunt, following a weeklong endurance challenge underwater, was televised live by ABC.

With Blaine's face contorted in pain and bubbles rising to the surface, divers went in to release him from the chains and pull him out. Blaine held his breath for 7:08.

After being given oxygen, Blaine addressed the large crowd that had gathered around the 8-foot snow globe-like tank on the plaza of Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts.

"I am humbled so much by the support of everyone from New York City and from all over the world," Blaine said. "This was a very difficult week, but you all made it fly by with your strong support and your energy. Thank you so much, everybody. ... I love you all."

After a 100-minute television preamble that showed his training techniques — including holding his breath in a tank of sharks — Blaine had sucked in his last breath before going under. Kirk Krack, his trainer and a diving expert, offered encouragement as Blaine remained nearly still for the first five minutes of his dive.

Then, methodically, he removed two of his handcuffs and was trying to remove chains that held him before the divers came in to save him.

ABC was hoping that curiosity over his stunt would attract viewers during a ratings sweeps month.

Dr. Murat Gunel, who heads Blaine's medical team and is an associate professor of neurosurgery at Yale University School of Medicine, said before the attempt: "He is pushing his body insanely to the limits."

Gunel and other medical experts had been monitoring Blaine's condition 24 hours a day from an adjacent tent filled with medical equipment and machines.

Gunel said the challenge had taken a toll on the magician's body, including liver damage, the sensation of pins and needles in his feet and hands, some loss of sensation elsewhere, and rashes all over his body, which glistened pale white in the tank.

On Sunday, Blaine, 33, wearing a diver's helmet with a two-way communication system, told AP Television News he would "give it my best shot" to complete the feat despite peeling skin, sharp pains in his joints and a severe earache.

Blaine started training in December, with some help from Navy SEALS. He lost 50 pounds so his body would require less oxygen.

As early as the second day of his challenge, Gunel said, there was evidence that Blaine was suffering liver failure; the medical team consulted with medical experts at
    NASA before stabilizing his condition. Blaine's underwater environment was similar to the weightlessness experienced by astronauts in outer space, he said.

"I told him he needed to get out of the water, and he refused me," Gunel said. "He said he did not want to let the people down."

The doctor said Blaine had agreed to allow researchers at Yale to examine him after the stunt to see what they can learn about how the body responds to an underwater environment.

All day, curious onlookers lined up to walk past the sphere.

Linda Brady, of New York City, brought along a boom box and loudly played
    Jennifer Lopez's "My Love is All I Have." Blaine appeared to respond by bopping to the beat.

"I just love him," Brady said. "He has a creative mind just like me, and he's crazy just like me."

Another spectator, David Linker, said Blaine symbolized "man's strength to go beyond what normal people can do."

Blaine's previous feats included balancing on a 22-inch circular platform atop a 100-foot pole for 35 hours, being buried alive in a see-through coffin for a week and surviving inside a massive block of ice for 61 hours. All those stunts were performed in New York. In 2003, he fasted for 44 days in a suspended acrylic box over the Thames River in London.

Re: Blaine Fails to Attempt Underwater Record

Blaine is an idiot. Too bad he didn't die.
    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Murat Gunel, eh?

Comment

David Blaine is great. Anonymouse is the true idiot.

Comment

I call that an early stoppage, brother!
          Achkerov kute.

Comment

Neh.

Comment

I can't believe all those morons lined up to watch this idiot. He wanted to stay under water 9 mins? I would have gladly lended a foot to keep his head down.
              this post = teh win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip
                I can't believe all those morons lined up to watch this idiot. He wanted to stay under water 9 mins? I would have gladly lended a foot to keep his head down.
                One-Way would have beef with you!

He was one of those idiots watching David Bland.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

So were you. Don't lie.

Comment

Originally posted by TomServo
                    So were you. Don't lie.
                    I was following you down the 5!
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Working...