Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Chinese Astrology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese Astrology

What are your thoughts on it?

In my experience, it helped me look out for all kinds of human traits described in the system, gave identity to different years (making them seem more meaningful) and pretty much gave me a system of personalities to believe in.

Today, I know better than to settle completely for this, although it still seems like it's scores better than in a hit or miss scenario.

I'm an Earth Dragon (born in the hour of the Monkey), what are you?

(your element, which can be Earth, Fire, Water, Wood or Metal, is based on a 60 year cycle, and come in pairs. An even year is Yang, or male, and is the beginning of the pair. The odd year is a Yin, or female, and ends the pair. So 1988 is Yang Earth, 1989 is Yin Earth. Then 1990 is the start of the next pair, which is metal, so 1990 is Yang Metal, 1991 is Yin Metal, and so forth.)

Then there's this talk about lunar months having an effect on your personality as well, I don't know how to calculate that... Anyway, here's a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_astrology#Water

I did a search and saw that this topic has been discussed last fall and noticed that many people didn't buy all this mumbojumbo. I saw the Celtic and Zoroastrian horoscopes, and they pretty much work out too, for me at least, doesn't make em true. In the end, all that counts is what you believe in.

Re: Chinese Astrology

Astrology, numerology, palm reading, tarot readings, etc are all BULLSH*T. I'm sorry, but you have been fooled.

I do this demonstration in class... I can randomly give someone a horoscope and they will think it applies to them or fits, etc when in reality it wasn't even theirs. All of those things are written in such a way as to be so vague and usually positive that they can apply to anyone.

Further, they are based on the stars and their positions at birth, right? Well for one thing, the sky now doesn't look like it did when those charts and things were created.
    And secondly, the gravitational pull of those celetial bodies have been studied and the delivery room nurse had more pull than any body in the sky.
    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

well, they've been revised overtime as far as I'm aware of...

This isn't scientific, I'll give you that. It's just a system of beliefs that has been followed culturally by the Eastern civilizations for quite some time, and now we have to opportunity to follow them to.

You can chose whatever system of belief you want, they all say different things (and the sames things).

Usually, you adapt more to the traits you agree with when you read about yourself. It's all in good fun I guess until you obssess about it.
      Last edited by jgk3; 05-31-2006, 07:44 AM.

Comment

I don’t spend any time with ‘astrology, numerology, palm reading, and tarot readings,’ but I GUARANTEE that there are similar things that science denies yet are absolutely true.

Comment

Well, I'll give you this, people who don't follow astrology tend to act differently from those who do :P

Comment

Originally posted by Anahita
            I don’t spend any time with ‘astrology, numerology, palm reading, and tarot readings,’ but I GUARANTEE that there are similar things that science denies yet are absolutely true.
            *sigh* Why am I not surprised by this statement. Do I even dare to ask what?
            If science denies it then that means there's been no evidence of them under controlled conditions that would eliminate trickery and cheating.

Originally posted by jgk3
            well, they've been revised overtime as far as I'm aware of...

This isn't scientific, I'll give you that. It's just a system of beliefs that has been followed culturally by the Eastern civilizations for quite some time, and now we have to opportunity to follow them to.

You can chose whatever system of belief you want, they all say different things (and the sames things).

Usually, you adapt more to the traits you agree with when you read about yourself. It's all in good fun I guess until you obssess about it.
            Hey if you read it and line the pockets of liars who are definitely marketing these things as true, fine.
            Nothing wrong with doing this stuff for entertainment. I just don't think it's right to misrepresent these things and manipulate people to take their money, like astrologers and so called psychics do.
            [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
            -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

you're right, it's not right to use this to cheat and make money... Fortunately, all the info can be found for free on wikipedia :P

Comment

mine is dragon on fire born in the hour of dragon.. also taurus with a lion stuff (i dont know that in english)..its like a zoo here

Comment

cool.

Comment

It's all good fun, it puts some imagery behind your birthyear and etc...

Comment

Working...
                    X