Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

10 Things we should all do before we die

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Things we should all do before we die

I came accross this article by accident and thought it was interesting, so I'm sharing...

Make a pilgrimage. The destination might be a traditional one such as Jerusalem or Rome or Mecca. It might be a site of prehistoric rituals, like Stonehenge or Machu Picchu. For nature-worshippers it could be an African savanna or Amazonian rain forest; for music-lovers it could be La Scala or Bayreuth. The goal is a cathedral you hold sacred, a place where you can feel part of something larger. The reward is a moment, whether it's hearing the "Gloria" at St. Peter's or watching a gazelle take its first step, that you won't need a video camera to capture.

I was already planning on doing the "Camino to Santiago de Compostela" next year...

Eat a meal good enough to be your last. When the end comes for you, there is a distinct possibility that you will be in no position to enjoy white truffles. But if you plan ahead carefully--if you eat them now--you will not die feeling cheated. Think of it as death insurance and pay no attention to those numbers on the right side of the menu.

Keep in mind the two versions of William Pitt's dying words. The grand version of his deathbed scene in 1806 is that the British prime minister, disillusioned by Napoleon's successes, expired murmuring, "My country, oh, how I leave my country!" The less grand version is that his last words were: "I think I could eat one of Bellamy's veal pies." If you have any doubt as to which version is more believable, you need to start reexamining your priorities.

That I do almost every weekend...I love food! LOL

Climb your own Mount Ventoux. It has been said that the Renaissance began with Petrarch's ascent of this peak in Provence in the 1330s. At the time, climbing a mountain was not something people went on vacation to do. Mountains were considered dangerous and useless. Mountains could even be a sinful distraction from God, as Petrarch interpreted a passage in Augustine rebuking men who "admire the high mountains." The poet tried to tell himself that he should be looking inward at his soul--the medieval view.

But the ever-curious Petrarch nonetheless climbed 6,000 feet and marveled at a new vista. "What I had read of Athos and Olympus seemed less incredible as I myself witnessed the same things," he wrote. Today you can have the same view easily enough--there's a road and restaurant at the peak--but that's not really the point. The point is to climb something you were afraid to climb and see something new.

I'd like to climb Mt. Whitney, but I'm not sure if that's gonna happen...

Memorize a poem and pass it on. The most obvious choice is a performance during courtship, and it's hard to go wrong with Byron's "She walks in beauty, like the night." For more of an edge, try Marvell's "To His Coy Mistress." But it can be for anyone at anytime. Teach children the opening lines of The Canterbury Tales, or get their blood flowing with Kipling's "If." You can do more for an ailing friend with Keats than with a Hallmark card. Yeats's "Sailing to Byzantium" can enliven a journey on any waters, and it will never be forgotten if you recite it on the Bosporus.

Have to work on that one...don't know any poem (shame)

Make an enemy for life. A gentleman has been defined as someone who never gives pain to anyone unintentionally. This leaves plenty of leeway for deliberate rudeness toward someone you can't stand. Stand up to a bully; speak out against a fraud; fight off a rival for a prize. Care enough about something to make someone mad. An enemy helps you define yourself. As Schopenhauer said, "We can come to look upon the deaths of our enemies with as much regret as we feel for those of our friends, namely, when we miss their existence as witnesses to our success."

Do I need to say anything about this one?

Forgive someone.

That's a tough one...at least for me...

See for yourself that the earth is round. The surest way is to set sail in one direction and not stop until you're home again. For a cheaper, although not quite as direct, method, journey north of the Arctic Circle around the summer solstice and spend a night (ideally in a hot tub) watching the sun circle above the horizon.

That will only happen if I overcome my fear of water...

Take someone you love to the Camera degli Sposi. There may be more important works of art, like the David or the Last Supper or the Sistine Chapel, but for sheer charm there's nothing like these 15th-century frescoes by Mantegna. You find them not in a mobbed museum but in a quiet xxxel box, a small chamber in the ducal palace of Mantua. The brightly colored paintings literally shimmer with inlaid gold and lapis. The paintings depict nobility, courtiers, children, dwarves, horses, dogs--all watched over not by a stern God but by an assortment of famously playful putti on the ceiling. The cherubs also seem to be looking down on some life-affirming activities, which is why it's called the Room of the Bride and Bridegroom.

Don't really think this is essential...I will probably rest in peace even if I don't get to do that...

Defy gravity. Yes, it's the most drearily immutable law on the planet, but on your deathbed it would be good to recall a momentary rebellion--one sky dive out of a plane, one plunge on a bungee cord, one ride on a parasail. For the ultimate in simplicity and pleasure, paraglide off Baba Dag, a 6,000-foot-high peak rising straight above the coast of southern Turkey. Just make sure that you have a professional pilot strapped in the harness of your parachute. The two of you take a few running steps and leap into the void, at which point the pilot and the wind take over. You soar a mile above the ocean, then slowly circle for 20 minutes as the pilot guides you to a leisurely landing on the beach, whereupon gravity takes over again.

Been there. Done that. Won't do it again!

Let someone else have the chance you missed. Maybe it will be one of the things on this list, like a trip you always meant to take but which eventually becomes impossible. With age come limitations. But with age also come wisdom and money. When it's too late for you, give someone younger what you always wanted.

Not sure about this one either...

Re: 10 Things we should all do before we die

Since when do people know when they gonna die?

I think that list is for people who plan to suicide

Either way, i will only be sure that i am stand up before death

Comment

Right, 4.

Homework, Oh Homework
      By: Shel Silverstein

Homework! Oh, Homework!
      I hate you! You stink!
      I wish I could wash you away in the sink,
      if only a bomb
      would explode you to bits.
      Homework! Oh, homework!
      You're giving me fits.

I'd rather take baths
      with a man-eating shark,
      or wrestle a lion
      alone in the dark,
      eat spinach and liver,
      pet ten porcupines,
      than tackle the homework,
      my teacher assigns.

Homework! Oh, homework!
      you're last on my list,
      I simple can't see
      why you even exist,
      if you just disappeared
      it would tickle me pink.
      Homework! Oh, homework!
      I hate you! You stink!

Memorized it when I was in 4th Grade, haven't forgotten it since. Glad to have done my part.

Comment

1-10: Have sex in case you haven't already!

Comment

Originally posted by Fedayeen

But you do know you will die one day, right????

I think that the main idea of whomever wrote the article was to tell ppl to do things while you can, for once you're too old, or pass away, many of these "goals" won't be achievable...

Comment

You never know .. I still plan to achieve some goals after I pass away
            this post = teh win.

Comment

The purest forms of life, our days are never coming back...

Comment

Nah, the list would be wayyy different for a suicidal, like tellin your boss to go to hell, maxin' out your credit card, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Sip
                  You never know .. I still plan to achieve some goals after I pass away
                  True, true...actually, now that I come to think of, I'm sure it's a lot easier and less scary to defy gravity in the form of a spirit than now, while I'm alive...

Comment

oh awiwwi wiwi !! whawhooooo !! whooo!! The Fedayeen code!! Whoo who! awhowiiiii!! We won't go without a fight!!

Comment

Working...
                    X