Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!


2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.


- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.


8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Hello

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hello

    Name:Michael Linster
    What School you attend: No longer in school
    Location: Colorado Springs, CO
    Where from originally:Washington, DC
    Age: 30

    Other information: I am of Armenian descent on my mother's side. Her grandfather escaped the genocide to Palestine and then onto the US. Upon entering the US he and his family changed their name to Aboosh from Abooshian (I think that is the correct spelling). And yes I know what Aboosh means, but what can you do?

  • #2
    Originally posted by mlinsterii
    Name:Michael Linster
    What School you attend: No longer in school
    Location: Colorado Springs, CO
    Where from originally:Washington, DC
    Age: 30

    Other information: I am of Armenian descent on my mother's side. Her grandfather escaped the genocide to Palestine and then onto the US. Upon entering the US he and his family changed their name to Aboosh from Abooshian (I think that is the correct spelling). And yes I know what Aboosh means, but what can you do?
    Hello, welcome. I hope you enjoy your stay.
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

    Comment


    • #3
      Welcome, Michael.

      What does Aboosh mean?
      ~Personal beauty is a better introduction than any letter; Diogenes Laertius. Circa 200 A.D.~

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ArmoBarbi
        Welcome, Michael.

        What does Aboosh mean?
        Fool or idiot (i think... or close to that)
        [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
        -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ArmoBarbi
          Welcome, Michael.

          What does Aboosh mean?
          I believe that "Aboush" is derived from the prefix "ab" - as in "abnormal" - and "oushim" means something like "aware, perceptive!!!"
          Last edited by Siamanto; 04-15-2005, 09:16 PM.
          What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

          Comment


          • #6
            aboosh means stupid, that's all. no weird derivatives, no nothing.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Thai-Samurai
              aboosh means stupid, that's all. no weird derivatives, no nothing.
              "No weird derivatives?"

              What is "weird" or unusual in the derivation of "aboush" from the prefix "ab" - i.e. negation - and the root "oushim?"

              I guess that it's also "weird" that "dkegh" is derived from the prefix "de" - again negation, as in "derail" - and "keghetsig' - i.e. beautiful.

              Can you please explain what makes it "weird?" Thanks!
              Last edited by Siamanto; 04-16-2005, 01:06 AM.
              What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

              Comment


              • #8
                I believe that "Aboush" is derived from the prefix "ab" - as in "abnormal" - and "oushim" means something like "aware, perceptive!!!"

                ok so according to you; ab from the english word abnormal, and oushim meaning aware, or perceptive somehow come together to mean "stupid" In Armenian.
                And second of all oushim is not oush. oushim by itself doesn't mean anything in Armenian much less meaning aware/perceptive somehow. oush by itself means 'late'. But you see the meaning late has nothing to do w/ aboosh meaning stupid. So your oushim is definately wrong.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Siamanto
                  I believe that "Aboush" is derived from the prefix "ab" - as in "abnormal" - and "oushim" means something like "aware, perceptive!!!"
                  Originally posted by Thai-Samurai
                  ok so according to you; ab from the english word abnormal, and oushim meaning aware, or perceptive somehow come together to mean "stupid" In Armenian.
                  And second of all oushim is not oush. oushim by itself doesn't mean anything in Armenian much less meaning aware/perceptive somehow. oush by itself means 'late'. But you see the meaning late has nothing to do w/ aboosh meaning stupid. So your oushim is definately wrong.
                  Thai-Samurai,
                  1- The prefix "ab" in the English "abnormal" is from the Greek - also used in Latin - and it means "away from." Do you remember the Greeks who lived close to the Armenians and far away from the English?
                  The prefix is used in many Armenian words such as "aboren."
                  (Does anybody know/remember the meaning of "abatsouyts?". Does anybody know the root in "abaganadz?" Thanks!)

                  The same applies to the prefix "de" i.e. "dhas," "dkegh" etc.
                  The same applies to the prefix "a/an" i.e. "angirt," "anasoun" etc. - not "anoush!"

                  2- "oush!!!"
                  According to my dictionary "oushim" means "bright," "clever" etc. I have seen it used in contexts where it meant something like: "he/she is quick to understand." Both "bright" and "perceptive" seem acceptable to me!


                  PS. A Samurai, at the end of an "initiatic journey" asks his Master:
                  "Am I worthy of your blessing?"
                  The Master replies:
                  "You are still too powerful to be strong."

                  Are you too powerful?
                  What if I find someone else when looking for you? My soul shivers as the idea invades my mind.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Siamanto
                    Thai-Samurai,
                    1- The prefix "ab" in the English "abnormal" is from the Greek - also used in Latin - and it means "away from." Do you remember the Greeks who lived close to the Armenians and far away from the English?
                    The prefix is used in many Armenian words such as "aboren."
                    (Does anybody know/remember the meaning of "abatsouyts?". Does anybody know the root in "abaganadz?" Thanks!)

                    The same applies to the prefix "de" i.e. "dhas," "dkegh" etc.
                    The same applies to the prefix "a/an" i.e. "angirt," "anasoun" etc. - not "anoush!"

                    2- "oush!!!"
                    According to my dictionary "oushim" means "bright," "clever" etc. I have seen it used in contexts where it meant something like: "he/she is quick to understand." Both "bright" and "perceptive" seem acceptable to me!


                    PS. A Samurai, at the end of an "initiatic journey" asks his Master:
                    "Am I worthy of your blessing?"
                    The Master replies:
                    "You are still too powerful to be strong."

                    Are you too powerful?
                    RAWWW!! You're making mE ANGRY!!!!!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X