Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Reagan's tarnished legacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reagan's tarnished legacy

After reading this article I was not only quite furious but I was very puzzled by the author's selective reporting.

The author sounds like an angry and bitter spouse going through a nasty divorce. He obviously takes only a portion of the incidents and the portion is purely negative. This article seems to me overly opinionated, excited and just plain crude. Author's style belongs somewhere in scandalous tabloids which are superb at smearing celebrities.

He writes about Reagan:
    "His administration cuddled up with fascistic and anti-semetic junta of Argentina,"
    regarding the massacre in El Salvador and Guatemala. But he leaves out that it wasn't the American army which executed the act, but rather the Salvadorian soldiers who were fighting terrorist Communist guerrillas (with American support, same is happening with the US who is giving military aid to the Middle East to fight terrorists) who used American weapons to destroy those poor civilians. It is the same in every case where nations use weapons purchased from arms suppliers to execute their filthy deeds. For some reason the suppliers are blamed in the end. Basically if I give you a bat and you kill a cat with it at the moment of rage, I am responsible because I gave you a bat for your protection. Making a quick statement of this sort is not sufficient because one has to know politics of South America in order to judge the entire situation.

Interestingly enough Reagan has been an immense supporter of Israel. "in 1985 and 1986, when the Israeli economy was experiencing inflation rates as high as 445 percent, Reagan approved $1.5 billion in Israeli assistance, which was paid in two installments - one each year." "Reagan was instrumental in the enhancement of the U.S.-Israel Strategic Cooperation Agreement, which resulted in the establishment of the Joint Political-Military Group [JPMG], a Pentagon program which oversees joint intelligence and military ventures between both nations." Not bad for a supporter of anti-semitism. So I don't really understand the author's beef.

He also mentions that Reagan vetoed anti-apartheid, yet he fails to mention that the xxxish community was very distant when it came to the anti-apartheid struggle. Well what about:

President Ronald W. Reagan announced limited sanctions against South Africa Sept. 9. Reagan banned the sale of computers to South African security agencies, barred most loans to the Pretoria government, halted the importation of the Krugerrand, South Africa's gold coin, and stopped exports of nuclear technology until South Africa signs an accord to prevent the spread of nuclear weapons.

Reagan condemned apartheid and expressed concern over the increasing violence in South Africa in the executive order outlining his sanctions. Reagan said he was not abandoning his policy of "constructive engagement," which seeks to influence the South African Government through negotiations. He now refers to his policy as "active, constructive engagement."

And his concern was the amount of South African's who will suffer from the very strict imposition of sanctions.

When he mentions the Iran scandal he fails to reveal all of the details. Such as: Reagan traded weapons for American hostages (although not generally an acceptable international policy which states "you should never negotiate with the terrorists" somehow I feel that saving many lives is more essential than those principles). Interesting how he left out that detail.

Sure Reagan has made mistakes, which President hasn't? However, to focus only on the negative omitting paramount details, painting a picture of a prejudice and immoral monster, is just juvenile reporting. The author is clearly bias, prejudice and ridiculously dramatic.

So I was wondering, why such a negative spin? Is it due to an overwhelming majority of Democrats who can't hold themselves back from any arising opportunity to smear anyone who is a Republican, regarding their achievement? Where is the classic liberalism, is it dead? Perhaps someone with a better knowledge of his presidency can educate me further?

Re: Reagan's tarnished legacy

I guess no one is interested.

Comment

Compared to the current president, and the one that will soon be elected, we can look back with fondness for the Reagan years, considering he was more competent and less interventionist both domestically and internationally.

However, he was still a statist and his policies helped catapult us to where we are now. It's like a building block. Every president builds on the shoulders of the one before. Each president accrues more and more executive power and expands the size and scope of government, and the ones that follow do not go back.
      Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse View Post
        his policies helped catapult us to where we are now. It's like a building block. Every president builds on the shoulders of the one before. Each president accrues more and more executive power and expands the size and scope of government, and the ones that follow do not go back.
        Please explain which policies caused modern chaos? Did you read the article?

Comment

Knock knock!

Comment

Working...
          X