Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

A Free-Market Perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Free-Market Economics

Originally posted by Anonymouse View Post
    Because interest rates are low, you have created artificially a demand for borrowing and people begin to take that money borrowed and invest it in all sorts of things and sectors of the economy. Because interest rates are low people all of a sudden started investing heavily into real estate, speculating, and creating a bubble.

But this money has to come from somewhere, right? The Federal Reserve simply prints it, out of thin air. This over time causes devaluation of the dollar, and an increase in prices (inflation).
    I'm dissecting little by little... How do you create an artificial demand? What exactly is a bubble? (the same term was used to describe the events which precipitated 1890 and 1929. I don't think I fully understand the term.

I understand that the Fed, gets carried away and starts printing away the currency which consequently decreases the value of money. However, what about the expanding population? As the population is growing don't you need to print more money to sustain the economy? How would that work exactly? I assume you've read Human Action, so you probably have an answer forthat.

Comment

No ones "views" are theirs, if you want to be technical about it. Essentially everyone's idea is someone else opinion:

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." -- Oscar Wilde
      I love that quote, but I would probably say that people's views are influenced by various opinions of others, perhaps a collection of select ideas. Not necessarily a complete mimicry, not for everyone at least. I admire many thinkers and influential personalities and share their opinion, yet I disagree with many of their ideas as well. It's like an intellectual buffet, pick what you desire and leave the rest. What you end up with is your own unique arrangement which carries some components similar to others, but essentially is an individual composition as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by Inthemood View Post
        I'm dissecting little by little... How do you create an artificial demand? What exactly is a bubble? (the same term was used to describe the events which precipitated 1890 and 1929. I don't think I fully understand the term.

I understand that the Fed, gets carried away and starts printing away the currency which consequently decreases the value of money. However, what about the expanding population? As the population is growing don't you need to print more money to sustain the economy? How would that work exactly? I assume you've read Human Action, so you probably have an answer forthat.
        Here is a summary of Mises view on money taken from Human Action

II THE OPTIMUM QUANTITY OF MONEY How confident are you that you understand Mises‘s monetary theory so far? If this were a final exam in a college class on Mises’s monetary theory, which answer would you select for the following question: The optimum quantity of money should be determined by. . . “? The national government A national government-licensed central bank A world central bank of central banks The economics department of the University of Chicago The unhampered free market If you selected E, as Walter Williams says, “Go to the head of the class.” In Part I, we have … Continue reading →

That all depends on what you mean by "money". Do you mean free-market generated money? Commodities? Paper currency per government fiat? In any event, money is subject to supply and demand like any other thing. First off, money in and of itself is not wealth as Mises points out. Creating more money does not translate to more wealth.

Because the federal reserve controls the supply of money and since money is not backed by anything other than fiat, any increase in the money supply produces uneven effects on prices. When the government prints more money and injects it into the economy, the new money appears in certain sectors of the economy. Those people to whom the new money reaches first benefit from the increase in money supply because they can use that new money and spend it before all other secondary users are aware of the new conditions created by the Fed. In other words, they buy goods and services with cheaper prices set from yesterday which is not reflective of an expanded supply of today. As news of more money spreads to other consumers in the economy, the value of money is lowered in peoples value scales because of increased bids for money, and this causes higher prices in goods and services.

But if we were in a free market scenario, if the market determined the money, and if changes in the value of money fluctuated greatly, the market would choose a superior currency able to adapt to the demand for money and therefore be a hedge against drastic inflation or deflation. Currently the market cannot do that because of the stranglehold on supplying money.
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

I understand the described above scenario, but I'm trying to bring it down to the very basic level. By money I mean currency, bills, paper money printed by the Gov't. There is already a level of circulation of current currency through whatever means, but since population keeps expanding and businesses keep growing, how do you keep a steady flow without having to supply more money (by printing that is). There is going to be a very high level of deficit.

If there is a concept of credit in existence wouldn't it be difficult to set a limit, which in essence would be regulated and monitored by whom? If the credit allowance keeps growing there has to be a sufficient supply of currency to match it, however if the credit is not regulated it can be exponentially increased to the level that it no longer matches the money supply. Isn't it when the government prints more?

I don't think that creating money translates to wealth, but doesn't it sustain it or lets say "evolves" with it?

Comment

I already saw this chart a long time ago and even watched a roller coaster it didn't really get me anywhere, but it describes the housing bubble. 1890 wasn't about a housing bubble, but about an economic one. What exactly is a bubble?

Comment

I understand the described above scenario, but I'm trying to bring it down to the very basic level. By money I mean currency, bills, paper money printed by the Gov't. There is already a level of circulation of current currency through whatever means, but since population keeps expanding and businesses keep growing, how do you keep a steady flow without having to supply more money (by printing that is). There is going to be a very high level of deficit.

If there is a concept of credit in existence wouldn't it be difficult to set a limit, which in essence would be regulated and monitored by whom? If the credit allowance keeps growing there has to be a sufficient supply of currency to match it, however if the credit is not regulated it can be exponentially increased to the level that it no longer matches the money supply. Isn't it when the government prints more?

I don't think that creating money translates to wealth, but doesn't it sustain it or lets say "evolves" with it?
              The money supply does not need to grow relative to the population, as this would do nothing except decrease the purchasing power of each monetary unit as inflation always does. If people nominally all have less money that doesn't mean they will experience a decreased standard of living. On the contrary, each monetary unit can buy more of a good or service because there is a higher value to the money (less of it). If for any reason the money supply needed to be increased the market would take care of it (gold mining, etc.) but there shouldn't be any concern with a "shortage" of the money stock simply due to a population growth. Regardless of population growth a change in the demand for money for whatever reason is supposed to be accompanied by a change in the supply of money to restore equlibrium.

Would you rather have money which nominally grows by 5% every year along with 10% inflation (-5% purchasing power) or would your rather have your nominal money remain the same or decrease slightly (storage fees maybe) and gain purchasing power? If you only care about numbers on a computer screen or piece of paper you may want to decrease your standard of living with the former; if you realistically want to buy more things with your money you will choose the latter.

As far as credit goes it would not be difficult to have the market create a limit on it. If there is an economy with many people having a low time preference and choosing to save and invest more the interest rates will be lower as there is a large base for the credit to expand from. This is sound credit that reflects market conditions. If people are consuming more today and saving less for the future there is a decreased amount of savings and investment so due to a lower supply the "price" or in this case interest rate on the money is higher. This is how there is, as you deemed it, a regulation on credit. This regulation is not governmental but rather a natural occurrence in the market. Picture something like a gold standard, as there is inflation within the country the inflation makes prices of domestic goods rise so people buy imports, and as they do so the gold will flow out of the country leaving a diminished money stock. With less money to base the credit off it must contract and rates will rise naturally, increasing the purchasing power of the money and letting prices come down which will then begin to reverse the trend. It's a beautiful equilibrating effect! And yes, you are correct that when the amount of credit is distorted it is due to the government creating money/credit artificially. When this happens capital is misallocated because what was previously not profitable at a certain rate is now proiftable at a lower one, yet when the chickens come home to roost and these go sour the capital is essentially lost and there is a contraction (the bust after the boom).
              Achkerov kute.

Comment

I've waited for quite some time for your reply, thanks. You made the money supply and it's relation to gold a little more clear. I didn't realize that you can mine gold for money "expansion," the first and the only thing I think of is printing, this way it does make sense.

Picture something like a gold standard, as there is inflation within the country the inflation makes prices of domestic goods rise so people buy imports, and as they do so the gold will flow out of the country leaving a diminished money stock.
                I've read that buying domestic goods (especially food) may result in a disastrous economy. Yet according to you, buying more imports may be hazardous. Considering that 90% of our goods are produced abroad, can we blame the current financial state on international dependence when it comes to production? I just think that given globalization, sustaining economy on domestic production is unrealistic, simply because businesses will always seek out best financial route (and rightfully so).

Comment

(1) If you are going to engage in personal attacks because you feel inadequate about your own failings and limited knowledge, I suggest you not do so and follow the rules, at least with the damn admin. Mmkay? I suggest that, because it's the path of least resistance and caution, as your above post displays your ignorance of economics. You did not even bother to read the article, because why bother, right? You did not raise one single point from the article, you instead railed about your own presumptions and misconceptions, and worthless opinions. Yet, you sit here lecturing others about broadening their reading base.
                  the Anon Doctrine 1: acccuse people of personal attacks (which i did), but then blindly continue to do so yourself. bravo.

no, i did not read the articles, and neither do i have to. if i want to read about clasical political economy, neo-classical economics, and it recent re-incarnation in neo-liberlism, i will read Marshal, the plethora of Friedmans, the work of Joan robinson and even right back to Smith, ricardo ect.. my initial point had nothing to do with the articles, and it was never my intention to respond to the said articles, only to make a point about liberal economics.

my problem: when somone disagrees with the you, you rsepond as such:

"He knows nothing about anything and he's trumpeting the same popular line of ignorance that a majority of people who don't understand economics trumpet."

"I can tell that those like you and hye moron that have no understanding of economics, nor have ready any economics"

so baisically Anon doctrine number 2, reveals your intellectual insecurity: when someone disagrees with you, you will accuse them of not knowing anything about the said topic, in this case economics. i dont proclaim to know everything, and i certainly dont have to hubris to accuse you of not knowing anything about economics.

in fact, Anon my point was very simple and non commital. you first accused me and others of "ignorance", and this offended me greatly so i did lash out and recomend you read more, because believe it or not Anon, you do not have all the answsers to sound economic managemnt *shock horror*. no one does.

There really is no difference between the economic "rationalists" (which is properly referred to as neo-Keynesians) and the Keynesianism of the 70s. Essentially, most of the Western world is steeped in this false notion of creating prosperity through central banks, fractional reserve banking, and consumer spending. But those that, like you, believe in something for nothing and believe they are entitled to take by force what others have produced by sweat, and redistribute it, you wouldn't understand these nuance
                  economic rationlism is a completely different creature. it is in fact neo-liberlism almost the complete opposite of traditional Keynesian economics. i really have no idea where you are coming from.

and dont assume anything about my economic positon. i did not reveal anything, so far as being critical of neo-liberlism (how dare i)

Comment

Originally posted by Hye_Psycho View Post
                    the Anon Doctrine 1: acccuse people of personal attacks (which i did), but then blindly continue to do so yourself. bravo.

no, i did not read the articles, and neither do i have to. if i want to read about clasical political economy, neo-classical economics, and it recent re-incarnation in neo-liberlism, i will read Marshal, the plethora of Friedmans, the work of Joan robinson and even right back to Smith, ricardo ect.. my initial point had nothing to do with the articles, and it was never my intention to respond to the said articles, only to make a point about liberal economics.

my problem: when somone disagrees with the you, you rsepond as such:

"He knows nothing about anything and he's trumpeting the same popular line of ignorance that a majority of people who don't understand economics trumpet."

"I can tell that those like you and hye moron that have no understanding of economics, nor have ready any economics"

so baisically Anon doctrine number 2, reveals your intellectual insecurity: when someone disagrees with you, you will accuse them of not knowing anything about the said topic, in this case economics. i dont proclaim to know everything, and i certainly dont have to hubris to accuse you of not knowing anything about economics.

in fact, Anon my point was very simple and non commital. you first accused me and others of "ignorance", and this offended me greatly so i did lash out and recomend you read more, because believe it or not Anon, you do not have all the answsers to sound economic managemnt *shock horror*. no one does.

economic rationlism is a completely different creature. it is in fact neo-liberlism almost the complete opposite of traditional Keynesian economics. i really have no idea where you are coming from.

and dont assume anything about my economic positon. i did not reveal anything, so far as being critical of neo-liberlism (how dare i)
                    The fact that you mentioned "economic management" suggests to me you do not completely grasp economics. That is my opinion, and I am entitled to it, am I not? There is no assumption but that which you give me to rely on. All my opinions are based on things you have expressed in your posts. I have not insulted you without reason. I only return the favor in kind. If you go back you will see that it was you who started this.

If you're going to engage in a discussion about this topic (which I doubt you will, and if you do, cannot carry) at least formulate coherent sentences with capitalization and proper grammar. What makes you so sure that referencing that you read Friedman will add any more merit to your post? By choosing to self-limit your sources of economic knowledge you are only perpetuating the economic ignorance with which you abide by - only reading those economic fundamentals which reaffirm and agree with your positions.

"Economic rationalism" is a self-limiting concept that treats economics as nothing but a theoretical "dismal science" and assumes "economic actors" are nothing more than automatons with only rational ends-means. As all life is perceived subjectively, all values are subjective, hence some people will have "irrational" ends. Hence, economics is a science that is value-free (something which is foreign to the economic literature which you read). Although I doubt you will read this, here is what Mises had to say about this:

Economics, it is said, in its rationalistic prepossessions assumes that men aim only or first of all at material well-being. But in reality men prefer irrational objectives to rational ones. They are guided more by the urge to realize myths and ideals than by the urge to enjoy a higher standard of living.

What economics has to answer is this:

1. Economics does not assume or postulate that men aim only or first of all at what is called material well-being. Economics, as a branch of the more general theory of human action, deals with all human action, i.e., with man's purposive aiming at the attainment of ends chosen, whatever these ends may be. To apply the concept rational or irrational to the ultimate ends chosen is nonsensical. We may call irrational the ultimate given, viz., those things that our thinking can neither analyze nor reduce to other ultimately given things. Then every ultimate end chosen by any man is irrational. It is neither more nor less rational to aim at riches like Croesus than to aim at poverty like a Buddhist monk.

2. What these critics have in mind when employing the term rational ends is the desire for material well-being and a higher standard of living. It is a question of fact whether or not their statement is true that men in general and our contemporaries especially are driven more by the wish to realize myths and dreams than by the wish to improve their material well-being. Although no intelligent being could fail to give the correct answer, we may disregard the issue. For economics does not say anything either in favor of or against myths. It is perfectly neutral with regard to the labor-union doctrine, the credit-expansion doctrine and all such doctrines as far as these may present themselves as myths and are supported as myths by their partisans. It deals with these doctrines only as far as they are considered doctrines about the means fit for the attainment of definite ends. Economics does not say labor unionism is a bad myth. It merely says it is an inappropriate means of raising wage rates for all those eager to earn wages. It leaves it to every man to decide whether the realization of the labor-union myth is more important than the avoidance of the inevitable consequences of labor-union policies.

In this sense we may say that economics is apolitical or nonpolitical, [p. 885] although it is the foundation of politics and of every kind of political action. We may furthermore say that it is perfectly neutral with regard to all judgments of value, as it refers always to means and never to the choice of ultimate ends.
                    With the help of our extraordinary supporters, the Mises Institute is the world's leading supporter of the ideas of liberty and the Austrian School of
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Mouse if you wouldn't mind doing a little bit of typing, could you compare and contrast the views of Mises with those of classical economists like Smith and Ricardo?

The reason I'm asking is because it seems like Mises was very much influenced by classical liberalism but I'd like to know on what points he disagreed.
                      For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
                      to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Working...
                      X