Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Mamma li Turchi!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mamma li Turchi!

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
    Those nations in the eu, especially the western ones, stopped being 'European' and Christian a long time ago. They have lost their heritage and only pay it lip service. You reap what you sow.
    If you read what I said above, it didn't help Armenia when they were Christian. So would it make any difference what religion they follow? If they want to convert to Islam they can, and from the looks of it some nations in Europe are adopting Islamic law.

Comment

Originally posted by hipeter924 View Post
      If you read what I said above, it didn't help Armenia when they were Christian. So would it make any difference what religion they follow? If they want to convert to Islam they can, and from the looks of it some nations in Europe are adopting Islamic law.
      I didn't see your last post when I was typing mine. I agree with what you said, and I do not for a second trust the western Europeans or any other nation for that matter. Like Merv said, the french and british were more afraid of Christian Russia than muslim ottoman turkey. It is high time these people got a taste of what the turks are all about, for hundreds of years it was the blood of Armenians that kept the turks at bay, which allowed western europe to prosper. It would be interesting to see what would have happened to the western europeans if Armenia and Byzantine had not put up half the fight which they did against the seljuks & ottomans. I'd be willing to bet that the Renaissance, Enlightenment, Scientific Revolution and Industrial Revolution would not have occurred. In essence the modern world would be much different. Instead of Europe remaining Christian with only the albanians and bosnians -converted Serbs and Croatians-, much of Europe would have become muslim.
      For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
      to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Yes very interesting, there are many parallels, in language, architecture and overall culture. In fact the IE branch in Refrew, Dolgopolski, Atkinson et. al. is listed as Armeno-Greek or Graeco-Armenic if you prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by hipeter924 View Post
          Well the Greek and Armenian churches didn't discriminate or persecuite people or at least as much as their western Catholic and Protestant counterparts, which if you read their history wiped out the Cathar's, and persecuted scientists like Galileo, intellectuals, and anyone who disagreed with the church and its authority.

The Western churches became brutal and authoritarian, whereas the East simply allowed the easy distribution of knowledge and didn't follow the negative western path of Christianity though I must admit the Byzantine Empire took part in crusades, it has to be remembered that the Catholic Pope sacked and plundered Constantinople (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBx8BDJdzfY) in a great betrayal in one of these crusades, laying the easy foundation for the latter Ottoman conquest of the city.

In addition the Venetians and others were at constant warfare with the Byzantine Empire, and only agreed to peace after a humiliating treaty that gave the Venetians a section of Constantinople, not that it helped because they went back to war with Constantinople anyway, and did virtually nothing to help Constantinople when the Ottoman's were attacking the city, it has to be noted that all the Christians who came from western Europe were basically volunteers and not helped by their governments.
          Good points Hipeter, I just think sadly there is much to blame for all organized religions and denominations including our own (and you did made this point by comparing the amount etc.), who have done a lot of wrong (and a lot of good also) in the name of God. For example, Cathars were off-shoots of earlier Paulician and Tondrakite communes in Armenia, that were persecuted in Armenia by the Armenian Church and fled to first Balkans (and were known there as Bogomils) and throughout much of Europe. The Armenian Church has done a lot of good, but also it has done many things that were very wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Catharsis View Post
            Good points Hipeter, I just think sadly there is much to blame for all organized religions and denominations including our own (and you did made this point by comparing the amount etc.), who have done a lot of wrong (and a lot of good also) in the name of God. For example, Cathars were off-shoots of earlier Paulician and Tondrakite communes in Armenia, that were persecuted in Armenia by the Armenian Church and fled to first Balkans (and were known there as Bogomils) and throughout much of Europe. The Armenian Church has done a lot of good, but also it has done many things that were very wrong.
            No Christian denomination has a monopoly on religious persecution. Catholics, Orthodox, and Protestants have all done it. I would say, however, that the Catholics have made a refined art of it and have continued their persecutions and pressures of others for much longer. The latest effort is that of Uniatism - to "return" Orthodox and Anglicans "back to the fold." The RC church realizes that once the Anglicans and most Orthodox are Roman Catholic in all but name, most Protestant denominations will be quick to fall in line with the new ecumenical church. I find these developments to be quite ominous, to be honest.

Comment

This book is well worth reading to see how the West was behaving during the events preceding the fall. There was a consistent policy of refusing to help the Byzantines unless they forced a union with Rome. At the Council of Ferrara/Florcence (1438), they all but forced Roman Catholic doctrine down the throats of the Orthodox. Those clergy in Russia, Serbia, and Bulgaria were staunchly against any union. While some Greek clergy supported union (and some were strongly against it), the people were vehemently against union with the Catholics. Until the end of the Byzantine empire, the Italians (meaning Venetians, Genoese, Papal States, etc.) refused to provide any substantial help unless union with the Roman Catholics was enforced against the Byzantine population. The other Westerners - the Germans, French, English, Spanish, etc. did not even put up a pretense of being willing to help the Byzantines whether they did or didn't convert.

It's not just the Fourth Crusade of 1204. The West was pretty clear on the issue all the way up until the fall of 1453: if you do not convert to Roman Catholicism we will let the Muslims destroy you without so much as lifting a finger.

(Interestingly, the book is also a testament to the peculiar barbarism of the Sultan Mehmet II. Apparently, he had certain bisexual pedophile proclivities and took in whole slews of both male and female children of the notable Constantinopolitan families into his harem. He demanded Lukas Notaras, the Megadux, to give up his son for his pleasure; Lukas refused and he, his nephew, and his son were called to Mehmet. Mehmet ordered him to give up the boys for the harem and Lukas refused. In consequence, Mehmet ordered decapitation on the spot for all three; Lukas requested merely that the boys be killed before him, so that they might not lose courage at the sight of his (Lukas') execution and yield to Mehmet's desires.)
              Last edited by Merv; 11-23-2009, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
                No Christian denomination has a monopoly on religious persecution. Catholics, Orthodox, and Protestants have all done it. I would say, however, that the Catholics have made a refined art of it and have continued their persecutions and pressures of others for much longer. The latest effort is that of Uniatism - to "return" Orthodox and Anglicans "back to the fold." The RC church realizes that once the Anglicans and most Orthodox are Roman Catholic in all but name, most Protestant denominations will be quick to fall in line with the new ecumenical church. I find these developments to be quite ominous, to be honest.
                Indeed, as a good deal of religious denominations tend to do this. Of course, some more than others. I am very happy with the separation of church and state. This is not negation of spiritual or God, to the contrary. This is a realization that the so-called "holy men" very often use religion to their own non-Godly ways to herd and control. There have been some notable exceptions to this. It is done in other spheres also, but science should never be undermined by religion. Looking at the other way, science also does not have all the answers and human beings do have a spiritual dimension to them. I hope we have evolved enough to seek it and find it by ourselves, without "bowing down" and "kissing hands" of gold-clad "intermediaries."
                Last edited by Catharsis; 11-23-2009, 05:06 AM.

Comment

It's not just the Fourth Crusade of 1204. The West was pretty clear on the issue all the way up until the fall of 1453: if you do not convert to Roman Catholicism we will let the Muslims destroy you without so much as lifting a finger.
                  This is strikingly similar to the "uniate" vs. "non-uniate" intrigues that cost us our last kingdom 78 years earlier in 1375. The position of the Papacy was the same during that time as well.

Comment

I don't think the Catholic church will be able to unite the Christian faith under its banner, especially not the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox churches which have a tradition as old as that of Rome, as in the case of the Armenian Church and the Greek Church for example.

On a side note, 1453 was also the year the Hundred Years war ended, so I do not think the French and english could have helped that much.
                    For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
                    to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

The Pope's were pretty bad, they also were the polar opposites of their belief, had sex with prostitutes (and far worse than that on some reports), and had absolute wealth and power. I am glad that the protestant movement sprang up as a result of the corruption and hypocrisy of the Catholic Church. Even then the Pope's today aren't much better, especially the Nazi Pope at the moment (whatever he says he was a Hitler Youth member and he joined willingly).

Comment

Working...
                      X