Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

notes and comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: elegy

Originally posted by Anoush View Post
    Why don't you read "Hayots Badmoutyun" by Hrant Pastermajian. It is in Armenian and it is translated by Moushegh Ishkhan. On page 56 "Herom yev ir daradsoume tebi arevelk". Since you are so interested as how our Dikran the Great at the very end lost his empire and one of his sons unfortunately betrayed him. While you're at it however on page 47 start reading about DIKRAN MEDS his achievements "Nevajoumnere", the King of Kings "Arkayits Arkan" on page 51, Dikran the Great's Capital "Dikrani Mayrakaghake" on page 52, Dikran's and his Palace's spirit "Dikrani yev ir baladi vokin" on page 53, Armenia's social construction "Hayasdani Engerayin Garuytse" on page 54, and finally Armenia's Military Strength "Hayasdani Zinvoragan Ouje" on page 55. The Book is published by Hamazkain Vahe Setian Debaran and it is printed in Lebanon.

i remember to have read the book when i was very young.
    Pastermadjian like Moushegh Ishkhan was a member of the Party, yes?

Comment

Originally posted by arabaliozian View Post
      i remember to have read the book when i was very young.
      Pastermadjian like Moushegh Ishkhan was a member of the Party, yes?
      They may have been but I really don't know that fact. But his book I believe is in English and Moushegh Ishkhan translated it in Armenian.

Comment

i am not a historian.
        i don't read sources.
        i only choose which historians i can trust.
        the others i dismiss as charlatans and propagandists.
        and if it gives you pleasure to dismiss me as one of them,
        go right ahead.
        i will not come between you and your ego.
        Ego!
        i may expand on that concept in the future...
        in the meantime i suggest you do not trust anything that flatters your ego.
        because that's when they'll get you.
        politicians need dupes.
        all leaders do.
        avoid them like the plague.
        Are you sure you know very well your sources and trust them your eyes closed? Then the others who wrote our history books are all charlatans? I don't believe so. And speaking about Ego as you put it; don't you think all mankind and nations exercise and dwell a little or at large on that Ego? And where will we be if we lose touch with our Egos completely? What national bravery will we teach our children if we didn't have a bit of an Ego ourselves? Plus I do not believe that all or most of our historians are liars or that they lied. I believe it stands for truth.

As a matter of fact right now and as a mother I will now go to read about our Dikran Meds' achievements to my child.
        Last edited by Anoush; 07-11-2009, 08:34 AM.

Comment

i am not a historian.
          i don't read sources.
          i only choose which historians i can trust.
          the others i dismiss as charlatans and propagandists.
          and if it gives you pleasure to dismiss me as one of them,
          go right ahead.
          i will not come between you and your ego.
          Ego!
          i may expand on that concept in the future...
          in the meantime i suggest you do not trust anything that flatters your ego.
          because that's when they'll get you.
          politicians need dupes.
          all leaders do.
          avoid them like the plague.
          ID = Personal Unconscious where all repressed memories dwell
          Ego = Conscious mind
          Superego = Conscience

Of course we can add the Collective Unconscious as well and say spiritual stuff as well

Sorry just like people using the terms Freud had properly

Comment

As for the Battle of Avarair:
            it is mentioned only by one Armenian chronicler who happened to be a Mamigonian hireling.
            No one else, not even
            Persian chronicles mention it -- and they had every reason to brag about it...with all their elephants and mighty/invincible army... it must have been an important chapter in their military history. and as a rule, they never fail to mention a victory.

my source: a highly reputed Mekhitarist historian and medievalist.
            If I'm not mistaken I remember having read it in Persian accounts very briefly, but I'll try to check it out again… They basically did not achieve their main goal (which was to convert Christian Armenians) so do you think they were that stupid and gullible to glorify and brag about their unachieved goals?

Now, why chose one historian over an Armenian chronicle and call the latter a charlatan? How convenient! In an objective light, you favour one propaganda over another one and then deliver it to the reader as 'the' truth… so based on your own deductions; can we conclude that you're a charlatan too?
            Last edited by Lucin; 07-11-2009, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
              If I'm not mistaken I remember having read it in Persian accounts very briefly, but I'll try to check it out again… They basically did not achieve their main goal (which was to convert Christian Armenians) so do you think they were that stupid and gullible to glorify and brag about their unachieved goals?
              Thank you Lucin, just as I suspected it. The Persians most probably didn't achieve their real goal of converting us from our Christian Armenian faith and therefore they didn't dare to mention it in their history books.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin View Post

Now, why chose one historian over an Armenian chronicle and call the latter a charlatan? How convenient! In an objective light, you favour one propaganda over another one and then deliver it to the reader as 'the' truth… so based on your own deductions; can we conclude that you're a charlatan too?
                if the persians mentioned the Battle of Avarair in their chronicles,
                i am more than willing to dismiss my Mekhitarist source as unreliable
                and accept you as my teacher.
                as for the Persians failing to convert us:
                Convert whom exactly?
                the Mamikonians were of Chinese extraction.
                the Bagratunis xxxish.
                most of our leaders were foreigners.
                we know that under the Soviets
                our leadership converted to atheism en masse.
                In the Ottoman Empire,
                many Armenians became Muslims.
                are you implying armenians have degenerated because they are no longer as dedicated Christians as they were under the Mamikonians?

Comment

Are you sure you know very well your sources and trust them your eyes closed? Then the others who wrote our history books are all charlatans? I don't believe so. And speaking about Ego as you put it; don't you think all mankind and nations exercise and dwell a little or at large on that Ego? And where will we be if we lose touch with our Egos completely? What national bravery will we teach our children if we didn't have a bit of an Ego ourselves? Plus I do not believe that all or most of our historians are liars or that they lied. I believe it stands for truth.

As a matter of fact right now and as a mother I will now go to read about our Dikran Meds' achievements to my child.
                  Anoush: the best thing you can do to your children is to teach them honesty.
                  you will never regret that, and neither will they.
                  but if you say nationalism or patriotism
                  will make them better human beings:
                  remember, please, that all nationalists and patriots teach the same thing to their children (yes, including turks)
                  and in doing so
                  they prepare the ground for future wars and massacres.

Comment

Anoush: the best thing you can do to your children is to teach them honesty.
                    you will never regret that, and neither will they.
                    but if you say nationalism or patriotism
                    will make them better human beings:
                    remember, please, that all nationalists and patriots teach the same thing to their children (yes, including turks)
                    and in doing so
                    they prepare the ground for future wars and massacres.
                    And Ara what makes you think so blindfoldedly that your sources aren't a lie yet our sources aren't indeed the truth.
                    Last edited by Anoush; 07-11-2009, 03:17 PM.

Comment

But do you make your allegations on how the Persians didn't mention it? Have you read all their chronicles and articles?
                      Of course not. That would not suit his propaganda in any way...

if the persians mentioned the Battle of Avarair in their chronicles,
                      i am more than willing to dismiss my Mekhitarist source as unreliable
                      and accept you as my teacher.
                      as for the Persians failing to convert us:
                      Convert whom exactly?
                      the Mamikonians were of Chinese extraction.
                      the Bagratunis xxxish.
                      most of our leaders were foreigners.
                      we know that under the Soviets
                      our leadership converted to atheism en masse.
                      In the Ottoman Empire,
                      many Armenians became Muslims.
                      are you implying armenians have degenerated because they are no longer as dedicated Christians as they were under the Mamikonians?

It has been mentioned in Persian history books/ newspapers numerous times but as I (as well as Anoush) mentioned they have no reason to glorify or brag about the gaffs of their Shah...

I found the following excerpt (originally in Persian and published in Iran) in The History and Culture of Armenia (Tarikh va farhange Armanestan), written by a reputed Iranian scholar, writer and translator, Ahmad Nourizadeh. It was a chapter of about four pages, I just translated parts of it:

Rebellion against the Sassanid Shahs (pages 43-47)

It explains thoroughly the relation of Sassanids with an autonomous Armenia. During the reign of Yazdgerd II (438-457), after the normalization of Persian-Byzantine relations, the Persians attempt to dismantle an autonomous Armenia, convert Armenians and assimilate them into the Iranian nation… They surprisingly face the rejection of such a decision by the Armenian officials and Nakharars, including Mamikonian who later takes the lead of the Armenian army composed of 66 thousand warriors with few successful moves at the beginning of the battle but which is being crushed by the mighty Persian army, three times bigger that the Armenian army in numbers… Mamikonian is being killed and the remaining of the Armenian warriors retreat, in the meantime the Sassanid Shah pursues a milder politics towards the Armenians, decreases the taxes but to intimidate further and avoid rebellions in the future imprisons and exiles 21 of the priests and Nakharars who were among the main perpetrators...
                      It's a sheer shame Mr. Baliozian that you blatantly resort to fallacies, lies and propaganda to simply dilute even the 'smallest' victory of the Armenian nation. Practicing the exact same methods you're preaching against over and over and over and over in every single line of your posts...
                      Last edited by Lucin; 07-12-2009, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X