Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

notes and comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: elegy

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
    He names a long list of Armenian, Western and Persian scholors. Why is it that hard for your ego to recant your own propaganda as you promised? Mr. Nourizadeh is a well-known and serious writer translator and an Iranian intellectual. Do you think he'd be that gullible to put his reputation at risk and reproduce some myth for the Iranian reader on their own History to swallow up? If you pay attention to his rhetoric, you'll certainly notice that it's been written by a non-Armenian, someone who is not trying to add any 'parabanutyun' on the bravery of the Armenain nation...
    like most people all over the world, i tend to trust people i know as opposed to people i know nothing about it. I know and trust my Mekhitarist source. i know nothing about the Iranian historian.

in the 5th century AD there were several armenian historians in armenia. and yet, it is only Yeghishe that mentions the Battle of Avarair -- and we all agree that it must have been, if real, the most important battle of the century, not to say the millennium.

can anyone imagine only one historian, or only one american newspaper reporting on the American Civil War or, for that matter, World War II?
    Last edited by arabaliozian; 07-14-2009, 08:38 AM. Reason: adding a p.s.

Comment

can anyone imagine only one historian, or only one american newspaper reporting on the American Civil War or, for that matter, World War II?
      Good point. But let's also agree that Avarair took place a long time ago. Let's most importantly agree with the fact that a lot of our books, documents, and history turned to ashes along with our people during and after the AG. We lost almost everything so I don't think it would be strange to think that perhaps more then one person wrote about Avarair and his/their documents were lost after the AG. Just my two cents. I don't know much about Avarair so I'm not going to start talking seriously about it.
      THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucin View Post
        Who's the winner in love and who's the loser?
        The one that usually ends up sleeping on the couch is the loser? lol

Originally posted by hrai View Post
        Lucin, you're very level-headed and very bright
        Rare Armenian characteristics... I think she's a spy
        Last edited by KanadaHye; 07-14-2009, 09:19 AM.
        "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by arabaliozian View Post

I don't know, was the Associated Press around during World War II? lol
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3 View Post
            I too would like to see some Persian/Iranian sources that talk about the Battle of Avarayr using historical records of the Sassanids themselves.
            Unrecorded historical events are not like trees falling unnoticed in the forest - we don't actually need a contemporary historian to have chronicled then for us to know they happened (or to know that something important happened) - significant events have reactions and counter-reactions and side effects that echo through a time period that lasts longer than the actual event. If the Battle of Avarayr happened in the manner that tradition said it happened then it would have had those reactions and counter-reactions and side-effects. And if it didn't happen - all those reactions and effects won't exist. So if Ara wants to disprove the event, just saying only one source wrote about it isn't the way to do it, any more than just quoting from that source is a way to prove the event.
            Last edited by bell-the-cat; 07-14-2009, 10:22 AM.
            Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Wednesday, July 15, 2009
              OF CABBAGES & KINGS
              As an underdog, I identify myself with underdogs of all nations and I loathe all murderers and rapists even when they call themselves Alexander the Great and Suleiman the Magnificent. How “Great” was our own Dikran to his victims?
              Once upon a time I had an insatiable curiosity about Armenians. I read and reviewed books – sometimes as many as three at a time – in which Armenians were mentioned. Not any more. I have had enough of their subservience to authority, that is to say, to bearded cassocks, empty suits, and fat-bellied slobs.
              It is not “white man who speaks with a forked tongue,” but power. For centuries the average dupe believed kings ruled in the name of God. And when the Czars (Russian for Caesars) were replaced by commissars, things got from bad to worse.
              The historic evidence seems to suggest that when men rule, it is more likely that they do so in the name of the Devil.
              How do you convince the average Armenian who has been brought up to believe he is smarter than the smartest “hria” that his political IQ hovers somewhere between +1 and 0?
              Orson Welles: “Magic is directed almost entirely to men. Women hate it – it irritates them. They don't like to be fooled. And men do.”
              #

Comment

Originally posted by bell-the-cat View Post
                Unrecorded historical events are not like trees falling unnoticed in the forest - we don't actually need a contemporary historian to have chronicled then for us to know they happened (or to know that something important happened) - significant events have reactions and counter-reactions and side effects that echo through a time period that lasts longer than the actual event. If the Battle of Avarayr happened in the manner that tradition said it happened then it would have had those reactions and counter-reactions and side-effects. And if it didn't happen - all those reactions and effects won't exist. So if Ara wants to disprove the event, just saying only one source wrote about it isn't the way to do it, any more than just quoting from that source is a way to prove the event.
                the central concern of all historians and chroniclers is to write about wars, especially important wars that happened during their own lifetime.
                as for me trying to disprove the Battle of Avarair:
                what i have been saying is that i trust the word of a scholar who has nothing to gain as opposed to a historian who was very probably a Mamigonian hireling.

Comment

Originally posted by Sako View Post
                  Good point. But let's also agree that Avarair took place a long time ago. Let's most importantly agree with the fact that a lot of our books, documents, and history turned to ashes along with our people during and after the AG. We lost almost everything so I don't think it would be strange to think that perhaps more then one person wrote about Avarair and his/their documents were lost after the AG. Just my two cents. I don't know much about Avarair so I'm not going to start talking seriously about it.

Khorenatsi (5th century AD) was a contemporary of Yeghishe. His HISTORY survived the Genocide. Does he mention the Battle of Avarair?

Comment

I haven't checked.

And it's not like everyone that lived back then had to definitely write a book about Avarair. Again, I'm not going to go too deep into this subject as I know very little about it ... for now!
                    THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

Thursday, July 16, 2009
                      AND NOW FOR SOMETHING DIFFERENT
                      Shortly after Henry Fonda asked for a divorce from his wife, she killed herself by slitting her throat with a razor – not my favorite method of vacating the premises.
                      He once explained his multiple marriages by saying: “If I made penetration, a proposal was the next step.”
                      Joan Crawford on Otto Preminger: “Otto is a dear man, sort of a xxxish Nazi, but I love him.”
                      Lee Marvin to Marlon Brando: “I'm thinking of changing my name. To Marlow Brandy.”
                      Brando: “I think I'll change my name, too. To Lee Moron.”
                      A critic to Charlie Chaplin: “You never have any interesting camera angles.”
                      Chaplin: “I don't need interesting camera angles – I am interesting.”
                      Ernest Borgnine begins his autobiography by quoting a chestnut vendor's sign that said: “I don't want to set the world on fire, I just want to keep my nuts warm.” He adopted that as his “philosophy,” he writes.
                      In his old age he once sat on the knees of a Wal-Mart Santa Claus and said: “I would like a blonde,” and the Santa replied: “So would I.”
                      Unlike his movie image, Borgnine comes across as a harmless and lovable fellow. He has something nice to say about everybody, except Shelley Winters, which is understandable.
                      Orson Welles on Anthony Asquith: “My God, he was polite. I saw him, all alone on the stage once, trip over an electric cable, turn around, and say 'I beg your pardon' to it.”

Comment

Working...
                      X