Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

notes and comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: elegy

Originally posted by arabaliozian View Post
    ....“In February of 1992, during the capture of the city of Khojali, Azerbaijan, by Armenian separatists, more than 1,000 people, mostly women and children, were murdered. Armenian troops subsequently invaded Shushi in 1992 and attacked more than 927 libraries and 22 museums. The result: 4,600,000 books lost, including ancient philosophical and musical treatises, as well as 40,000 rare books.”
    The author of these lines is Fernando Baez, director of Venezuela's National Library, a world authority on the history of libraries, and a member of U.N. Committee investigating the destruction of libraries and museums.
    For more on this subject, see: A UNIVERSAL HISTORY OF THE DESTRUCTION OF BOOKS: FROM ANCIENT SUMER TO MODERN IRAQ, by Fernando Baez. Translated by Alfred MacAdam (New York, 2008).
    #
    War can become very ugly....
    but before you go saying Armenians did these things on purpose you need to provide a much better evidence than just a book written by one person, regardless of credintals and who he/she is, which BTW we cannot verify unless we go hunting for it……………… I suggest you provide more verifiable information.

or you check the official views of the events like links provided by Federate.
    B0zkurt Hunter

Comment

Wednesday, July 29, 2009
      THREE MEMOS
      TO MY GENTLE READERS
      If I quote from an odar book and you don't like what you read, don't waste your time trying to convince me otherwise. Nobody gives a damn what I think or write, not even Armenians. Write instead to the author or his publisher. By making me change my mind, you will accomplish nothing.
      To those who demand to be taken off my list: I have no idea which list you are referring to. If you don't want to read me, Block or Spam my messages. It shouldn't take more than a second or at most two. Even better, if you don't want to see my garbage, don't send me yours.
      I have been called many things by my charming fellow Armenians – a mentally unhinged ignoramus, an enemy agent, a capitalist, a communist, a poet, and at least on one occasion, an intellectual, or rather, a pseudo-intellectual. For the record, I am none of these things. I am only a xxxx-disturber. Anyway, that's my story and I am sticking to it.
      #

Comment

well, at least you're providing sources to important materials that get distributed internationally which tell a version of the story that is just as one-sided as you claim our own to be. Thanks ara. Maybe one day I'll find that book and read it.

Comment

I have been called many things by my charming fellow Armenians – a mentally unhinged ignoramus, an enemy agent, a capitalist, a communist, a poet, and at least on one occasion, an intellectual, or rather, a pseudo-intellectual. For the record, I am none of these things. I am only a xxxx-disturber. Anyway, that's my story and I am sticking to it.
          #
          Welcome aboard!! Fellow xxxx-disturber
          "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Thursday, July 30, 2009
            ONCE UPON A TIME...
            When I was a child, these words were pure magic, even when I knew what was to follow because I had heard it countless times.
            Expect no magic here, only some facts that may be hard to swallow by those of my gentle readers with overly sensitive stomachs.
            You have been duly forewarned. Parental guidance is required and all that jazz.
            “Once upon a time we shed our blood for freedom. We are now afraid of free speech.”
            These are not my words. I wish they were. These are the immortal words
            (perhaps not as immortal as “Yes im anoush Hayastani,” but eminently immortal all the same) of Hagop Garabents (a.k.a. Jack Karapetian) who was neither a critic nor a dissident, but a dedicated patriot all the same, also a distinguished writer of fiction, a darling of the establishment, and on friendly terms with both sides of any divide you care to mention.
            “Of the many forms of cowardice, fear of free speech is the worst.”
            These are my words.
            “The miracle is not that we survived our enemies. The real miracle is that we survived our leaders.”
            These too are my words. Let us give the devil his due.
            Anglo-Saxon arrogance is unbearable to me. But at least they have earned some of it when they sing, “An Englishman cannot be a slave” (in “Rule Britannia”). Now then, what the hell have we done to earn the right to exist as men among men? Subservience has become such an integral part of our character as a nation that we have allowed ourselves to be brainwashed into believing we are smart, we are progressive, we are creative, we are brave, and above all, we are lovers of freedom.
            I suggest a nation that preaches freedom during the day and buries it at night, cannot live. It can only die the death of a thousand cuts – all of them self-inflicted.
            We survived Suleiman the Magnificent, we survived Talaat, we survived Stalin, and we survived a wide assorted of shahs, padishahs, pashas, sultans, czars, and commissars. The challenge we now confront is: shall we survive our own bamboozlers, hoodwinkers, and flimflammers?
            #

Comment

Friday, July 31, 2009
              HAVE A NICE DAY!
              When the French called Armenians “filthy,” Shahnour did not deny the charge but he explained it by saying it should be ascribed not to their nationality but to poverty. We are no longer poor, and yet, we hurl worse insults to one another. We behave like barbarians in order to prove we are civilized. Figure that one out if you can.
              To those who accuse me of the unforgivable crime of insulting Armenians by quoting odar writers without bothering to check their evidence, may I ask what evidence do I really need to prove that even the most civilized people on earth are capable of behaving like barbarians in time of war, or for that matter, in time of peace?
              To be objective in our context means to see the worst in ourselves and the best in others, including our enemies, especially our enemies. Only then may we have a more balanced view of the world in which we live and our relative position in it. There is nothing unusual or original in what I am saying. A thousand years ago, Naregatsi not only saw the worst in himself but he also made a long and detailed list of all his failings, transgressions, and sins, and we now consider him to be our greatest writer, – a combination of Dante and Shakespeare, as a matter of fact. I have not reread Baronian, Odian, and Massikian recently but I don't remember a single character in their works with any redeeming features.
              It is said of the 5th-century philosopher, David Anhaght, that he acquired his sobriquet “Invincible” by never losing an argument. If true, it was probably because he never lost his cool. Besides, what's the use of winning an argument if in the process you lose your dignity and self-respect?
              If it is our intention to prove that Armenians are smart, progressive, creative, and civilized, the very least we can do is not to behave like “assh*les” and “sh*ts.” Relax, I am not quoting an ignorant odar academic but one of our own leaders, who ought to know, having dealt with Armenians all his life and having earned enough of their respect to qualify as a leader and a “defender of the faith.” Is this Armenian right or wrong? Are we what he says we are? Yes, certainly, in so far as only assh*les and sh*ts would choose a leader who is both.
              Have a nice day!
              #

Comment

Saturday, August 1, 2009
                IT BEARS REPEATING
                If wrong, I can be corrected. No sweat.
                I speak for myself and no one else.
                I have no reputation to defend and no interests to protect.
                There is no harm in what I say.
                Why should I be your enemy if my only crime is expressing your secret thoughts?
                Don't say I don't understand you if you don't make yourself worthy of my understanding.
                Why is it that the self-righteous are not always open to reason?
                You cannot be right from the gutter. Neither can you explain the world if you don't understand yourself.
                Armenians!
                Who takes them seriously?
                Only themselves.
                Who cares what they think?
                No one but themselves.
                Who gives a damn whether they live or die?
                Not even themselves.
                #

Comment

Հովհաննես Թումանյան
                  ԴԱՌՆԱՑԱԾ ԺՈՂՈՎՈԻՐԴ
                  Մտածմունքներ կան, որ սաստիկ ծանր են, բայց դուք դատապարտված եք մտածելու, չեք կարող փախչել նրանցից։ Նրանք է՛ն ծանր հիվանդությունների նման են, երբ դուք գիտեք, որ ձեր մարմնի մեջ կրում եք քաղցկեղի խոցը, բարակացավի բացիլները կամ ժանտախտի թույնը։ Չեք կարող անց կենալ ու արհամարհել, կամ նրանք պետք է ձեզ հաղթահարեն ու սպանեն, կամ դուք պետք է մարդկային հանճարի տված ամեն միջոցներով վեր կենաք ցավերի դեմ ու ազատվեք, առողջանաք. ի հարկե, եթե էնքան արիություն ու հասկացողություն ունիք։

Էն մարդիկ, որ երկար ու լուրջ զբաղվել են մեր ժողովրդով, մեր մարդով, միշտ եկել են մի ծանր եզրակացության, թե շատ չարություն կա մեր հոգում։

Էսպես են ասում նրանք և ասում են խորը ցավով, ինչ ցավով որ կարելի էր ասել, թե բարակացավի բացիլներ կան իմ կրծքում։

Բայց քիչ են էս տեսակ ազնիվ ու քաջ մարդիկը։ Մեծ մասամբ ախտի գոյությունը ընդունելով հանդերձ, իրենց առողջ են համարում ու միշտ ուրիշներին են հռչակում հիվանդ։ Ամեն մինը ինքը չար չի, կեղծավոր չի, հայհոյող չի, ստախոս չի, թայֆայական չի, էդ ամենը իրենից դուրս ուրիշներն են։

Բայց, իհարկե, սրանց չպետք է հավատալ, ոչ էլ ականջ դնել։ Ճշմարիտը էն է, որ մեր ամբողջությունը տառապում է մի ծանր ու խոր բարոյական հիվանդություններով։

Նայեցե՛ք։

Գյուղացի ռանճպար մարդիկ են, հարևան, միասին մեծացած, իրար հետ օխտը բեռը աղ ու հաց կերած, բայց եթե մեկի արտը լավ է գալի կամ անասունը բազմանում՝ մյուսը նախանձից հիվանդանում կամ ինչպես իրենք են ասում՝ «արնով է ընկնում»։
                  Վաճառականներ են, առուտուր են անում, թեկուզ մրցակիցներ էլ չեն, բայց մեկը մյուսի հաջողությունը լսելիս քունը կորցնում է ու էնքան էլ իր գործի վրա չի մտածում, որքան նրա հաջողության վրա է դարդ անում, ու տեղն ընկած տեղը ոչինչ չի խնայիլ նրա գործին վնասելու։

Հոգևորական է. ինչքան վարձ ու պատիվ կուզեք տվեք — միշտ դժգոհ է, բողոքում է, գանգատվում է անարդարությունից, և գիտե՞ք էդ անարդարությունը որն է, որ իր ընկերն էլ է նույնը ստանում կամ նա էլ է կարողանում ապրել։

Քաղաքացի թե գյուղացի՝ երկուսը վեճ ունեն իրար հետ։ Ոչ մի դատաստանում չի վերջանում նրանց վեճը, տևում է երկար տարիներ և հաճախ իրենց ամբողջ կյանքն ու կայքը դնում են էդ վեճի վրա, մինչև կարողանում է մեկը մյուսին խեղդել, գետնին հավասարել կամ հենց երկուսն էլ փչանում են։

Մամուլ կա։ Տասնյակ տարիներով ու անհամար դեպքերով փորձված է, է՛լ հայհոյանք, է՛լ զրպարտություն, է՛լ ափաշկարա սուտ, է՛լ չարախոսություն, կեղծավորություն։ Նեղ թայֆականություն հո ոչ մի գյուղում գուցե էնքան անվայել կերպարանք չի առել, որքան սրա մեջ։ Մի հայտնի հրապարակախոս պատմում էր, թե պարզ խոսում էին մեր խմբագրատանը, թե էս կամ էն գրողին, ինչքան էլ լավ գրվածք հրատարակի, միշտ պետք է զարկել, ծաղրել կամ լռել, մի խոսքով ամեն կերպ աշխատել սպանել, միայն նրա համար, որ մեզ հետ չի, մեր թայֆիցը չի։

Էդպես էլ մտեք ազգային, հասարակական, գրական գործիչների մեջ։ Մեկը մյուսի հռչակն ու հաջողությունը տանել չի կարողանում։

Հիմի եկեք ուսուցիչներին տեսեք։ Դասերից ավելի շատ է՛ն աշխատանքի վրա են, որ իրար ոտի տակ փորեն, և շարունակ մի որևէ չնչին դեպք, որ կարելի էր ընկերական շրջանում հեշտ վերջացնել, ազգային հարց դարձրած, տարիներով ձգտում են պաշտոնական ճանապարհով, դատարանով ու մամուլի էջերում մեկը մյուսին անվանարկել, հալածել ասպարեզից ու սպանել բարոյապես… ո՛չ մի մեղմություն, ո՛չ մի ներողամտություն, ո՛չ մի սահման չարությանը։

Ինչո՞ւ է էսպես։

Պարզ հասկանալու համար երևույթի վրա պետք է նայել բնության ու պատմության օրենքների բարձրությունից, էն լայն, խաղաղ ու խոր հայացքով, որ նրանք միայն կարող են տալ։ Ուրիշ ընղհանուր հանգամանքների հետ զարհուրելի ծնող է եղել մեզ համար մեր պատմությունը։ Նա երկար դարերով մեզ դրել է բարբարոս ժողովուրդների ոտների տակ։ Իսկ ամեն կենդանի գոյություն, որ ոտնատակ է ընկնում, եթե չի մեռնում, այլանդակվում է, դառնանում ու փչանում։ Էսպես է բնության օրենքը։
                  Էն հասարակ վարունկի թուփն ինչ է. հայտնի է, որ եթե նա էլ ոտի տակ է ընկնում՝ էլ նրա պտուղը չի ուտվում, էնքան է դառնանում։ Նրա համար էլ ձեզ թույլ չեն տալ, որ նրա թուփը ոտի տակով անեք։ Էնպես դառնանում ու դաժանանում է և մարդը, նրա հոգին, սիրտը, միտքը, ու ներքին դառնությունը դուրս է տալի, հայտնվում է և՛ աչքերում, և՛ դեմքին, և՛ խոսքերում, և՛ գործերում, ամեն տեղ, ամեն ասպարեզում, ու ամբողջ կյանքը դարձնում է դառն ու դաժան։ Եվ էս տեսակ կյանքը կունենա, այո՛, շատ բան, և՛ «հառաջադիմություն», և՛ «կուլտուրա», և՛ «մամուլ», և՛ «գրականություն», և՛ «դպրոց», և՛ «բարեգործություն», բայց էդ բոլորը ներսից ճիճվի կերած պտուղի նման են, և տառապում են հիմնական պակասություններով, մի ընդհանուր ցավով, որի ճարը դրսից անել չի կարելի։ Էդ տեսակ կյանքը կտա և տաղանդավոր մարդիկ, սակայն նրանք էլ կլինեն դառն ու դաժան։ Բայց նա չի կարող ծնել ազնիվ մարդիկ, բարի սրտեր ու բարձր ոգիներ, հենց է՛ն, ինչը որ դարձնում է մի կյանք գեղեցիկ ու հրապուրիչ և մի ժողովուրդ թանկ ու համակրելի։

Արդ՝ եթե մենք ունենք ազգային իմաստություն, հոգու արիություն և առողջ բնազդներ, անկարելի է աչքներս փակենք մեր էս ծանր հիվանդության առաջ և չզգանք, որ մեր հոգին շատ է դառնացած, մեր ներքին մարդը շատ է փչացած, և դրա դեմ կռվելու, առողջանալու առաջին պայմանը էն է, որ մենք և՛ մեր սրտերում, և՛ աշխարհքի առաջ անկեղծ խոստովանենք ու ճանաչենք մեր դժբախտությունը։ Ապա թե էդ փրկարար գիտակցությանը կհետևեն ինքնակատարելագործության բարձր ցանկությունն ու ազնիվ գործը։

Ուրիշ ճանապարհ չկա. ներսից է լինելու հաստատ փրկությունը, որովհետև ներսից ենք փչացած։

Comment

Sunday, August 2, 2009
                    BORN AGAIN
                    Just when I think I have run out of things to say, I run into a gentle reader who recharges my batteries and renews my dedication to carry on. It is at times like these that I am tempted once more to believe in the existence of god and to say, “Thank you, Lord!”
                    ON PATRIOTISM AS CRYPTO-FASCISM
                    Patriotism means love of country as well as fellow countrymen. If you define patriotism only as love of country, remember that some of the worse criminals in the history of mankind (among them Hitler, Mussolini, Franco) were great patriots and it was Stalin that called World War II the “Patriotic War.”
                    HOW TO RECOGNIZE A FASCIST
                    If he rhapsodizes about national pride and patriotic love but is silent about free speech and human rights, he qualifies.
                    USEFUL TIPS
                    If you plan to contribute a long-winded diatribe to a forum, don't worry about getting your facts straight or even making sense. Worry instead about being readable.
                    During an argument, resist the temptation of using abusive language, adopting a holier-than-thou stance, or going down into the gutter in the hope you will not be followed there. The gutter is not a place for victory but of defeat and surrender.
                    #

Comment

....hard facts and the world of real things.
                      “In February of 1992, during the capture of the city of Khojali, Azerbaijan, by Armenian separatists, more than 1,000 people, mostly women and children, were murdered. Armenian troops subsequently invaded Shushi in 1992 and attacked more than 927 libraries and 22 museums. The result: 4,600,000 books lost, including ancient philosophical and musical treatises, as well as 40,000 rare books.”
                      The author of these lines is Fernando Baez, director of Venezuela's National Library, a world authority on the history of libraries, and a member of U.N. Committee investigating the destruction of libraries and museums.
                      For more on this subject, see: A UNIVERSAL HISTORY OF THE DESTRUCTION OF BOOKS: FROM ANCIENT SUMER TO MODERN IRAQ, by Fernando Baez. Translated by Alfred MacAdam (New York, 2008).
                      #
                      927 libraries and 22 museums.

Pre-war population of Shushi - maybe 17,000. That makes one library for every 18 people - including babies of course, since in such a literate town, even babies could read! If you are going to make controversial points, and don't want to laughed at, try not to include ridiculous quotes like the above.
                      Plenipotentiary meow!

Comment

Working...
                      X