Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

notes and comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: elegy

Originally posted by arabaliozian View Post
    Sunday, October 11, 2009
    THE PROTOCOLS

A so-called impartial commission does not scare me. It is here today, heard tomorrow, forgotten the day after.
    Relax! The sky isn't falling.
    #
    It's not about comissioning Ara, its like Teriault said "The Final Stage of Genocide: Consolidation" with a free and independent Armenian state aaaaaand the church's blessing.Wake up Ara and all the short sighted Armenians it's time to make history.
    "All truth passes through three stages:
    First, it is ridiculed;
    Second, it is violently opposed; and
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

The daily quotation of my morning paper is by Aldous Huxley and it reads: “Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”
      Go ahead, say it ain't so!
      #
      I wonder if he was talking about LSD in the same paper

Comment

Monday, October 12, 2009
        DEAD MEN WALKING
        In a book of abusive terms I once read that Greeks call Armenians “Turkish gypsies.” That was news to me probably because I seldom ventured outside our ghetto outside Athens – though I was fully aware of the fact that Greeks were not particularly fond of us. Not that they had any reason to be. In their eyes we were unwanted interlopers, D.P.'s (a Canadian abuse term for displaced people), who lived crowded in a ghetto that looked like a gypsy encampment.
        Speaking of abusive terms: I have met many Armenians from the Homeland and none of them has ever called me “aghber.” If the natives call us “aghber” in the Homeland, why not in the Diaspora?
        I suspect they don't call me “aghber” for the same reason that a white man is careful not to use the “n” word while visiting Africa, or refer to the natives as Japs while in Tokyo.
        On a number of occasions I have been told when Armenians call their fellow Armenians “aghber,” they mean not “trash” but “brother.” But I happen to know from personal experience that no one can be as abusive to Armenians as a fellow Armenian (see below). If you don't believe me read Naregatsi on Naregatsi. Read Raffi, read Daniel Varoujan on priests, read Baronian, Odian, Massikian, Zarian....
        I dare anyone to read Odian's FAMILY, HONOR, MORALITY (Istanbul, 1910) and not think of his fictional characters as dead men walking – not in the sense of inmates on death row but as men so degraded and dehumanized that they might as well be dead. And if you think Armenians today – be they in New York, Los Angeles, or Yerevan – are alive, it may be because we don't have writers of Odian's caliber, only Turcocentric ghazetajis and academics who come alive only when they speak of massacres.
        What kind of life is it that is fixated on death?
        I shiver to think what would happen to someone like Odian today who would have the courage to speak of Armenians not as they wish to be described but as they are.
        Speaking of his tuberculosis, Albert Camus writes: “The illness comes on quickly, but leaves very slowly.” He fails to note that sometimes tuberculosis may even result in death.
        Speaking of Armenians being too nice to use abusive terms: I don't mind admitting that on occasion I have myself described some of them as “Ottomanized morons,” “the scum of the earth,” and “inbred morons”-- but always in retaliation of worse insults, whether fairly or unfairly not up to me to decide...remains to be seen...posterity will tell...take your pick!
        #

Comment

Originally posted by Gavur View Post
          It's not about comissioning Ara, its like Teriault said "The Final Stage of Genocide: Consolidation" with a free and independent Armenian state aaaaaand the church's blessing.Wake up Ara and all the short sighted Armenians it's time to make history.
          as far as i know, no one -- NO ONE -- not even most armenians with minimum common sense and intelligence take our church and leadership (former agents of the KGB) seriously.

Comment

Well there are times you have to;like when you need papers in order or when getting married/divorced etc.
            "All truth passes through three stages:
            First, it is ridiculed;
            Second, it is violently opposed; and
            Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Tuesday, October 13, 2009
              HEMINGWAY ON KEMAL ATATURK
              “[He] looks like an Armenian lace seller than a Turkish general. There is something mouselike about him.”
              What does an Armenian lace seller look like? I plead nolo. An Armenian lace seller makes as much sense to me as a Patagonian barber or a Syrian carpenter.
              But if you are an American writer writing for an American audience, you can say anything and get away with it.

OSHAGAN & DOSTOEVSKY
              Oshagan was wrong when he said he could not write like Dostoevsky because Armenians did not have Dostoevksian characters. But Dostoevsky's characters owe more to his imagination that to his fellow countrymen. Even Russian writers like Turgenev and Nabokov found Dostoevsky's characters unRussian. As for Oshagan: since he could not write like Dostoevsky, he chose to write like Proust, whose French characters are even more unArmenian than Raskolnikov and Dimitri Karamazov.
              TURGENEV ON DOSTOEVSKY
              Whenever he saw anything morbid and strange, Turgenev would say, “C'est du Dostoevsky.”
              CHEKHOV & ZOHRAB
              When Chekhov discovered he could make money by writing stories, he gave up medicine – he went on practicing whenever the situation demanded but never charged for his services.
              Had Zohrab given up lawyering, he could have been as great a short story writer as Maupassant and Chekhov. There was some money in Armenian literature at the turn of the century in Istanbul but not enough for Zohrab's upper crust lifestyle. To give you an idea how much money there is in Armenian literature today: I am told one of our national benefactors financially supported several writers, among them Shahan Shahnour, by sending them a regular monthly check of $8.00 (eight dollars).
              SHAKESPEARE
              One reason he was great is that he had a great audience. He wrote for kings and queens, and even his queens had cojones. An Armenian writer writes for Levantine philistines in the Diaspora and the offspring of commissars in the Homeland. That's why even Turks are ahead of us in literature.
              ON LEVANTINE PHILISTINES
              There is a Turkish saying: “Eshek khoshavdan ne annar?” (What does a jackass know about stewed raisins?”
              As for the commissars in the Homeland: they are more like Raskolnikov without a conscience. My guess is, they miss the good old days when they could hunt down and shoot writers like rabbits.
              #

Comment

Originally posted by Gavur View Post
                Well there are times you have to;like when you need papers in order or when getting married/divorced etc.
                Do you take a cashier at Mc Donalds seriously when you order a Big Mac?

I've met many honorable priests but they are the minority for sure. If it weren't for weddings and funerals, the churches would have filed for bankruptcy generations ago.
                kurtçul kangal

Comment

Wednesday, October 14, 2009
                  A RECURRING EXPERIENCE
                  When as a child I first heard the story about the Ottoman Bank takeover by a small band of young revolutionaries in Istanbul, who then negotiated their safe passage to a foreign country, but whose actions provoked the massacre of over 5000 innocent civilians: I admired the daring of our youthful heroes, hated the Turks for their cruelty, and suffered with the blameless victims.
                  That's when I was a child.
                  Now that I am no longer a child, I have second thoughts.
                  What kind of heroism is it when the heroes survive and the people perish?
                  Our revolutionaries justify this colossal blunder by saying, “We made headlines around the world!”
                  Maybe. But who gives a damn about headlines in newspapers?
                  The Genocide that followed made headlines too. And again the ship went down, the people drowned, but our captain survived. And we are now taught to say, Long live the captain!
                  We are also taught to brag about our will to live; and by “our” they of course mean their cunning to survive.
                  As for the people: the people exist to serve the nation – meaning the leadership. What we are not taught is that this is another definition of fascism.
                  In a democracy it's the other way around. The state and the leaders (also known as “public servants”) serve the people.
                  Democracy?
                  What do we know about democracy?
                  I have had an Armenian education and I don't remember anyone mentioning democracy.
                  To speak of democracy to an Armenian audience amounts to explaining the subtle aroma and flavor of rosejam to a jackass.
                  “If one has character,” Nietzsche tells us, “one has also one's typical experience that recurs again and again.”
                  One could also say, “If one has no brain...”
                  #

Comment

Wednesday, October 14, 2009
                    A RECURRING EXPERIENCE
                    When as a child I first heard the story about the Ottoman Bank takeover by a small band of young revolutionaries in Istanbul, who then negotiated their safe passage to a foreign country, but whose actions provoked the massacre of over 5000 innocent civilians: I admired the daring of our youthful heroes, hated the Turks for their cruelty, and suffered with the blameless victims.
                    That's when I was a child.
                    Now that I am no longer a child, I have second thoughts.
                    What kind of heroism is it when the heroes survive and the people perish?
                    Our revolutionaries justify this colossal blunder by saying, “We made headlines around the world!”
                    Maybe. But who gives a damn about headlines in newspapers?
                    The Genocide that followed made headlines too. And again the ship went down, the people drowned, but our captain survived. And we are now taught to say, Long live the captain!
                    We are also taught to brag about our will to live; and by “our” they of course mean their cunning to survive.
                    As for the people: the people exist to serve the nation – meaning the leadership. What we are not taught is that this is another definition of fascism.
                    In a democracy it's the other way around. The state and the leaders (also known as “public servants”) serve the people.
                    Democracy?
                    What do we know about democracy?
                    I have had an Armenian education and I don't remember anyone mentioning democracy.
                    To speak of democracy to an Armenian audience amounts to explaining the subtle aroma and flavor of rosejam to a jackass.
                    “If one has character,” Nietzsche tells us, “one has also one's typical experience that recurs again and again.”
                    One could also say, “If one has no brain...”
                    #

Man just when you were finaly starting to make sence there you go again bringing up democracy. There is nothing great about it, domocracies have many times undermined the peoples will or manipulated it as has fascism and every other dam form of government there ever was. Democracy is no cureall neither is it inherently good nor productive. Stop putting it on a pedastil, it does not deserve to be there.
                    Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaPapa View Post
                      Do you take a cashier at Mc Donalds seriously when you order a Big Mac?

I've met many honorable priests but they are the minority for sure. If it weren't for weddings and funerals, the churches would have filed for bankruptcy generations ago.
                      If it weren't for lazy people, Mc Donalds would have filed for bankruptcy generations ago.
                      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Working...
                      X