Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

notes and comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: elegy

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
    Man just when you were finaly starting to make sence there you go again bringing up democracy. There is nothing great about it, domocracies have many times undermined the peoples will or manipulated it as has fascism and every other dam form of government there ever was. Democracy is no cureall neither is it inherently good nor productive. Stop putting it on a pedastil, it does not deserve to be there.
    i am neither a monarchist nor a fascist.
    are you?
    what are you?
    what's your favorite power structure?
    anarchy?

Comment

Originally posted by arabaliozian View Post
      i am neither a monarchist nor a fascist.
      are you?
      what are you?
      what's your favorite power structure?
      anarchy?
      Democracy is a mask for both monarchy and fascism since the driving force is Capitalism.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaPapa View Post
        Do you take a cashier at Mc Donalds seriously when you order a Big Mac?

I've met many honorable priests but they are the minority for sure. If it weren't for weddings and funerals, the churches would have filed for bankruptcy generations ago.
        Now you know better Ara to make a analogy that likens a dummed down fast food worker, and people even though who themselves fail those many times, represent higher ideals.
        "All truth passes through three stages:
        First, it is ridiculed;
        Second, it is violently opposed; and
        Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
          Democracy is a mask for both monarchy and fascism since the driving force is Capitalism.
          You got it man. Democracy doesnt exist anywhere and i bet it never did. It is a utopian concept one that is impossible to realize. Good leadership matters way more then the type of government, this is a proven fact. I dont care what type of government it is, i care more about who is leading it.
          Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Haykakan View Post
            You got it man. Democracy doesnt exist anywhere and i bet it never did. It is a utopian concept one that is impossible to realize. Good leadership matters way more then the type of government, this is a proven fact. I dont care what type of government it is, i care more about who is leading it.
            I agree. Elitists in all countries hold all power.
            kurtçul kangal

Comment

I see a lots of dispassionate and pessimist youth who are too cynical unneedlesly.
              Are there nothing sacred ?
              "All truth passes through three stages:
              First, it is ridiculed;
              Second, it is violently opposed; and
              Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

good leadership is the most important thing in all power structures.
                but how do we get good leaders?
                that is the question.
                who is best qualified to choose them?
                Last edited by arabaliozian; 10-15-2009, 09:15 AM. Reason: unfinished thought

Comment

Thursday, October 15, 2009
                  THE SOURCE OF ALL EVIL
                  Rabbis, imams, sultans and their Christian counterparts in the West: They may believe they speak in the name of God but they speak in the name of a figment of their imagination in which they are, if not God, than one with the Almighty. What makes them powerful is their connection with the collective unconscious, and the unconscious is the source of all evil.
                  You begin to think for yourself only on the day you begin to see the Big Lie that is at the root of all propaganda lines.
                  Call a military defeat a moral victory and you've got yourself a win-win proposition; which may suggest that, in addition to being the first nation to convert to Christianity, we may also qualify as the first nation to be taken in by spin doctors.
                  We have been careless in our choice of enemies and even more careless in our choice of friends who can be even more dangerous than enemies.
                  Our leaders did not massacre us, true, they only made us more vulnerable to massacres.
                  There has been so much oppression, injustice, and slavery in the world that one is tempted to conclude God may not always be on the side of equality, liberty, and fraternity.
                  #

Comment

Originally posted by arabaliozian View Post
                    Thursday, October 15, 2009
                    THE SOURCE OF ALL EVIL
                    Rabbis, imams, sultans and their Christian counterparts in the West: They may believe they speak in the name of God but they speak in the name of a figment of their imagination in which they are, if not God, than one with the Almighty. What makes them powerful is their connection with the collective unconscious, and the unconscious is the source of all evil.
                    You begin to think for yourself only on the day you begin to see the Big Lie that is at the root of all propaganda lines.
                    Call a military defeat a moral victory and you've got yourself a win-win proposition; which may suggest that, in addition to being the first nation to convert to Christianity, we may also qualify as the first nation to be taken in by spin doctors.
                    We have been careless in our choice of enemies and even more careless in our choice of friends who can be even more dangerous than enemies.
                    Our leaders did not massacre us, true, they only made us more vulnerable to massacres.
                    There has been so much oppression, injustice, and slavery in the world that one is tempted to conclude God may not always be on the side of equality, liberty, and fraternity.
                    #
                    Why is the Devil no longer mentioned for the injustices in the world? Mankind is equally capable of good as it is evil. If society chooses to live on the dark side, God has given every individual the freedom to do so.
                    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

INTERVIEW
                      BY Liana Aghajanian
                      “A writer’s two best assets: the sensitivity of an open wound and the hide of a rhino,” writes Ara Baliozian on his blog, which houses his daily thoughts on topics ranging from religion, to money, politics, literature and of course Armenian matters. An author and translator, Baliozian’s writing has received a fare share of criticism from Armenian readers, but that doesn’t stop him from dishing out criticism and commentary.
                      Baliozian, born in Greece and educated in Venice, now lives in Kitchener, Canada and has published dozens of books, including “Armenians: Their History and Culture” and “In the New World” and translated many others. He now mostly posts his works on various Armenian internet discussion boards, but took the time out to answer some pertinent questions.
                      Q: My first question is simple, but perhaps it does not have a quite so simple answer: Why do you write?
                      A: I write because writing has become a habit and habits, as you know, are easier to keep than to give up.
                      Q: What is the best advice you can give to an Armenian writer like me?
                      A: Be honest with yourself and your readers. Do not accept anything on anyone’s authority. In our environment, the higher they rise, the bigger the lies.
                      Q: Many writers of your generation, whether they’re Armenian or not haven’t adapted to the web as easily as you have. How and when did you start using the Internet to share your writings? What made you do it?
                      A: I owe my use of the Internet to my good friend Noubar Poladian, who would visit me from Toronto (a distance of 60 miles) regularly in order to teach me how to use the computer even when I said I had no interest in abandoning my old typewriter.
                      Q: What sort of writing rituals do you have, if any? Is there a specific time of day you write or a place?
                      A: I write very early in the morning when everyone is asleep and it’s dark outside. I write no more than a single page. I may make notes during the day, most of which I reject in the morning.
                      Q: What are your thoughts on the protocols between Armenia and Turkey and how do you feel about those in the diaspora who are campaigning against the protocols? If you don’t agree with the protocols, what is the alternative? And what do you feel is the best way for the diaspora to express their concerns?
                      A: I am all for friendship with our enemies on the grounds that we may get more concessions from them as friends rather than enemies. May I say that I do not take the protocols seriously. But they are a beginning,which is better than no beginning at all. The Homeland and the Diaspora have different priorities. it would be selfish of us to assert our priorities are superior or more urgent than the Homeland’s. Live and let live. Let the Homeland take care of its own. The Turks already know that Armenia does not represent the Diaspora. As for our own concerns: I think the Turks know about them too. If it’s their intention to divide us, let us not fall in their trap.
                      Q: What kinds of concessions?
                      A: We could begin by asking the Turks to allow us to take care of our antiquities in Ani, Van, and elsewhere. About territorial concessions: it seems to me if we move in the direction of some kind of Union or freedom of movement within a United States of the Middle East or the Caucasus, the borders of historic Armenia and Azerbaijan may become an irrelevance.
                      Q: You’ve had your fair share of criticism from many Armenians who disagree with your writings and opinions and have even gone so far as to insult you on many occasions. How do you deal with this and what is it about what you write that upsets Armenians?
                      A: As a rule, I am insulted by brainwashed readers who have been exposed to countless sermons and speeches but not a single writer. What upsets them is the fact that I refuse to recycle chauvinist propaganda. Things like the Battle of Avarair (which even some of our own historians say it never happened), first nation to convert to Christianity (the real question is: have we ever been good Christians?) , first nation to be targeted for Genocide? (why brag about that?) We are smart? In politics we do not even qualify as retards.
                      Q: You recently wrote on your blog: “I believe the Genocide to be a result of two colossal blunders committed by nationalist fanatics and fools on both sides. It goes without saying that to massacre innocent civilians is a far more serious crime than stupidity or ignorance.Ignorance may be the most innocent of all transgressions but in life it is the most severely punished. If there are inflexible laws in life, this surely must be one of them. And speaking of inflexible laws, here is another: If you refuse to learn from your blunders, you condemn yourself to repeat them. What have we learned from our genocide? What else but to say we are at the mercy of inevitable historic conditions or forces beyond our control? Same mistake, same propaganda, same Big Lie fabricated and recycled by men who are too lazy or stupid to think for themselves.”
                      Can you explain this a little further - what have been the biggest blunders of the Armenian culture as a whole? How do you feel we can make progress?
                      A: Our big mistake — or rather the mistake of our revolutionaries — was trusting the verbal commitments of the Great Powers. The idea that their support made us invulnerable. In international diplomacy verbal commitments, even treaties, are worthless if you don’t have the power to implement them.
                      Our second big mistake is to ascribe our present misfortunes (exodus from the Homeland, and assimilation in the Diaspora — also known as White Genocide )— to social, political, and cultural conditions beyond our control…that is to say to assume a passive stance, instead of assuming an active role by getting organized, enhancing our solidarity, ending internecine conflicts and divisions.
                      Q: Do you have any regrets, either professionally or personally?
                      A: One of my greatest regrets is that I waited until I was 30 before dedicating my full time to writing.
                      I should have done it sooner.
                      Q: Who are your heroes in life?
                      A: Plato, Gandhi, Thoreau…to mention only three among many others.
                      Q: If you can pinpoint anyone, who would you say are the best role models/leaders within the Armenian community that Armenians can learn a lot from? Or if you think none exist, can you explain why?
                      A: We can learn a great deal from our writers — Naregatsi, Raffi, Baronian, Odian, Zohrab, Zarian, Massikian… I don’t know anyone alive today who can come close to them, alas!
                      Q: Why do you think it is so difficult for Armenians to have a fair and reasoned civil conversation without confrontation, bias or judgment?
                      A: The brainwashed tend to be dogmatic, that is to say, intolerant, and the intolerant cannot engage in dialogue; they prefer to sermonize and speechify.
                      Q: When you’re not writing, what do you do in your spare time?
                      A: Nothing gives me more pleasure than playing Bach on a pipe organ.
                      Q: As someone who decided he wanted to be a writer, you could have easily not
                      written about issues concerning Armenians. Why did you decide to?
                      A: I began by writing and publishing fiction, for which I was awarded several Canadian literary prizes and government grants — until I realized that the aim of fiction is entertaining the bourgeoisie. To understand and explain reality: that is what I want to do now…and I enjoy it better than writing love stories or, in Sartre’s words, about “the mutual torments of love.”
                      Q: What are your favorite books?
                      A: In Armenian: Zarian’s TRAVELLER & HIS ROAD.
                      In Russian: Turgenev’s FATHERS AND SONS.
                      In English: Toynbee’s RECONSIDERATIONS.
                      In French: Sartre’s LES MOTS.
                      In Greek: ZORBA THE GREEK by Kazantsakis.
                      Q: What are your favorite Armenian foods?
                      A: I am a vegetarian.

Categories: Features
                      Tags: ara baliozian, armenian writer

About the Author

Liana Aghajanian
                      Editor-In-Chief of IANYANMAG, as well as full time editor and part time writer living in Los Angeles. I take my chai without sugar, but my dolma with lots of yogurt.

Comment

Working...
                      X