Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

notes and comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: elegy

It's too bad our social values as a community has fallen that far down that your articles aren't in our press anymore. But to be honest, when I read our periodicals now, and search for an article of value (or even information/news), I can't help but think of the audience they are writing to and the two words "supply" / "demand".

I wasn't raised in an Armenian school or even going to the Armenian church every week, so my ethnic epiphany was more a result of American racism and the high value I felt for my family, relatives and their friends. It's too bad, with all our potential, we are in a state of arrested development.
    kurtçul kangal

Comment

Sunday, October 25, 2009
      OPTIONS
      A slave has two options: to obey or to die. An Armenian writer's position today is not much different: he either says “yes, sir!” to our bosses, bishops, benefactors and their flunkies or he starves.
      Like commissars, readers who are against criticism can be nasty critics and excellent executioners.
      If you have been taken in by fools, you can't be as smart as you think you are. Now then, consider the number of times we have been taken in by the empty verbiage of promises and treaties of the West, our Big Brothers to the North, and American presidential candidates. I suspect if fools of the world had their own United Nations and we applied for membership, we would be rejected as surely as Turks are today by the EU on the grounds that we are not good enough to be one of them.
      If I am the only one who writes as I do, that doesn't mean I am also the only one who thinks as I do.
      If you disagree with those who speak in the name of God and Country, you will be accused of speaking in the name of the Devil and in defense of treason. And dupes being dupes (present company suspected) will be against you.
      What if I am wrong? O how I wish I were!
      “The unspoken message of everything he wrote was his conviction that far from being the smartest people on earth, his fellow countrymen were the dumbest.”
      I would welcome this verdict in my obituary.
      Words and actions have consequences; so do silence and inaction.
      #

Comment

Originally posted by arabaliozian View Post
        Sunday, October 25, 2009
        OPTIONS
        A slave has two options: to obey or to die. An Armenian writer's position today is not much different: he either says “yes, sir!” to our bosses, bishops, benefactors and their flunkies or he starves.
        Like commissars, readers who are against criticism can be nasty critics and excellent executioners.
        If you have been taken in by fools, you can't be as smart as you think you are. Now then, consider the number of times we have been taken in by the empty verbiage of promises and treaties of the West, our Big Brothers to the North, and American presidential candidates. I suspect if fools of the world had their own United Nations and we applied for membership, we would be rejected as surely as Turks are today by the EU on the grounds that we are not good enough to be one of them.
        If I am the only one who writes as I do, that doesn't mean I am also the only one who thinks as I do.
        If you disagree with those who speak in the name of God and Country, you will be accused of speaking in the name of the Devil and in defense of treason. And dupes being dupes (present company suspected) will be against you.
        What if I am wrong? O how I wish I were!
        “The unspoken message of everything he wrote was his conviction that far from being the smartest people on earth, his fellow countrymen were the dumbest.”
        I would welcome this verdict in my obituary.
        Words and actions have consequences; so do silence and inaction.
        #
        Criticism is the highest form of patriotism, especially among our own. Indifference and assimilation is the cheap and easy way to success, at the expense of our family values (family, not social, not ethnic, not national)
        kurtçul kangal

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaPapa View Post
          Criticism is the highest form of patriotism, especially among our own. Indifference and assimilation is the cheap and easy way to success, at the expense of our family values (family, not social, not ethnic, not national)
          Very well said
          Politics is not about the pursuit of morality nor what's right or wrong
          Its about self interest at personal and national level often at odds with the above.
          Great politicians pursue the National interest and small politicians personal interests

Comment

Monday, October 26, 2009
            GOLDEN APPLES
            One reason I write as I do is to celebrate the fact that I am no longer dependent on the charity of swine. Another is that no one gives a damn. In the kind of environment we have created for ourselves, the status of Armenian writers is (in the expression of Southern hillbillies) lower than a snake's belly full of buckshot.
            And speaking of hillbillies: There was once and was not an old peasant by the name of Abou Hassan who had a worn out pair of shoes he wanted to get rid of. First he flings them out the window and they come flying right back in – compliments of an irate passerby. Next he takes a long walk and hurls them into a lake. Again they are returned to him by a furious fisherman. Finally he decides to bury them in his backyard. But as he gets busy digging a hole, he is spied on by a nosy neighbor who thinks the old man is trying to hide his valuables...
            Armenian writers and Abou Hassan's worn out shoes share one thing in common: they are not easy to get rid of. Systematically murdered by the likes of Talaat and Stalin, silenced and starved by our bosses, bishops, and benefactors, Armenian writers refuse to be cast aside, drowned, and buried.
            Why?
            To what end?
            For what purpose?
            In Nicholson Baker's latest novel, THE ANTHOLOGIST (New York, 2009) I come across the following three lines from a poem by Coventry Patmore that may provide a tentative answer:
            “When all its work is done, the lie shall rot;
            The truth is great and shall prevail,
            When none cares whether it prevail or not.”
            Armenian fables have a traditional ending that goes something like this:
            “Three golden apples fell from heaven: the first for the teller of the tale, the second for those who heard it, and the third for those who understood it.”
            What happens to the third golden apple when no one understands the hidden message of the story?
            We are told people deserve their leaders. The same applies to their writers. If we no longer have writers like Abovian, Raffi, and Zabel Yessayan it may be because we are buried beneath a Mt. Ararat of rotten apples.
            #

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaPapa View Post
              I would have to agree with this statement. It's equivalent to selling your self out for profit.
              "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Tuesday, October 27, 2009
                MINOU
                When a little girl by the name of Minou Drouet published a volume of verse and was hailed as a prodigy by the French press, Cocteau said: “Every child is a genius except Minou Drouet.” And sure enough, she was never heard from again.
                No one is born mediocre. Mediocrity is premeditated, planned, advertised, and promoted on the grounds that we need factory hands to build cars, construction workers to raise sky-scrapers; we need janitors and garbage collectors more than we need prophets; and above all, we need dupes willing and eager to fight and die for us in the name of patriotism.
                A coward thinks he deserves a medal for slicing a watermelon; and my guess is bullies like Bush Jr. and his vice think they deserve to be treated like saviors of the nation for their tough talk.
                Those who have been exposed to only one side of the story as children, will find it very difficult to believe there may be another side as adults.
                Who is more guilty: our enemies who slaughtered us or our friends who, for all practical purposes, they might as well have issued an invitation to the slaughter? As for our revolutionaries: all they appear to have learned from their blunders is to make fiery speeches.
                #

Comment

Wednesday, October 28, 2009
                  PATHOLOGY
                  To hate, to really hate,
                  means to hate even those
                  who do not share your hatred.
                  That's the way our Turcocentric ghazetajis hate.
                  You can recognize a Turcocentric ghazetaji
                  by the fact that he writes only against Turks,
                  and he hates because he has been taught to hate.
                  He is following orders.
                  He has been told
                  Turks are the source of all evil.
                  As for the arrogance,
                  the incompetence,
                  and the stupidity of our bosses:
                  what arrogance?
                  What incompetence?
                  What stupidity?
                  What bosses?
                  A dog, it is said, knows his master,
                  but not his master's master.
                  Once, when I tried to explain
                  the dangers of pathological hatred
                  to one of our ghazetajis, he said:
                  “But all I am doing is
                  trying to defend our interests.”
                  Why is it that with defenders like him
                  I feel more threatened?
                  If you live in a world of illusions,
                  reality becomes a source of dread.
                  And because I speak of reality
                  I am identified as an enemy,
                  and worse, as pro-Turkish.
                  #

Comment

Thursday, October 29, 2009
                    COMMENTS
                    “Education is a womb-to-tomb activity. The person who isn't educating himself is obviously dead.” From INTERVIEWS WITH NORTHROP FRYE (Toronto, 2008, page 68.)
                    I remember to have read somewhere, it is easy to resurrect a corpse; much more difficult to raise the brain-dead.
                    In a recent issue of THE NEW YORKER (Oct. 21, 2009) there is a portrait of Nikki Finke, a Hollywood columnist, where we read that she “portrays many of the town's leaders as jackasses who elbow underlings aside to hog the spotlight... downsize underlings while lining their own pockets, and generally besmirch the fabric of civilization.”
                    Our problems are universal, with one difference: we don't like talking about them and whenever someone dares to do so, we shut him up in the name of patriotism, of course!
                    Our emperors have no clothes because what they need to hide is so tiny that it might as well be invisible to the naked eye.
                    Armenians are incomprehensible not because they are too complex but because they are absurd.
                    Is writing for Armenians some kind of anomaly or a complex in need of psychological therapy? I am not sure. Judging by the number of writers we have produced and the zero effect they have had on the direction of our collective existence, it must surely qualify as an exercise in futility and a total waste of time. Perhaps one reason I go on writing is to remind our jackasses that they can't fool all the people all the time, and if there is only one they can't fool today, there may be two tomorrow.
                    I am told there are readers who can't stand the sight of my name on their computer screen. I have an instant solution to that problem: it's called the Spam button. You don't know about it? Ask a child.
                    Ajarian, the foremost authority on the Armenian language, is quoted as having said: “Who among us can pretend to know the Armenian language?”
                    #

Comment

Friday, October 30, 2009
                      OTTOMANISM AND ARMENIANISM
                      “If you have them at your mercy and they are in no position to retaliate, be merciless!” That's the Ottoman way. The Armenian way? About the same. If on occasion I show no mercy in my dealings with our jackasses, it's for a good reason: to let them have a taste of their own venom.
                      “Before they start accusing me of sins I have never even dreamed to commit, let me plead guilty to all of them to satisfy their blood lust.” This may well have been Naregatsi's state of mind when he sat down to compose his LAMENTATION. And judging by the astonishing number of sins he enumerates, the 11th century must have been our Golden Age of Backbiting.
                      It is written: “Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.”
                      Armenian translation: “If he is innocent and you are guilty, stone the bugger to death before he has a chance to expose you.”
                      There is an inflexible law in our collective existence: “The better you get, the worst they treat you.” You want evidence? Make a list of our best writers and consider the manner of their deaths. And remember to include Talaat's and Stalin's victims because they were betrayed by their fellow Armenians. Americans treat their dogs with greater kindness. My guess is, the reason why we have a veritable alphabet soup of cultural and charitable foundations is to cover up our philistinism and Ottomanism.
                      #

Comment

Working...
                      X