Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

notes and comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: elegy

Monday, November 230, 2009
    REFLECTIONS OF A CYNIC
    To commemorate the massacre of 70,000 Protestants in 1572, Pope Gregory XIII had a medal struck. So much for religious tolerance, Christian charity, and Papal infallibility.
    When two men speak badly of each other, I am tempted to believe both . When they praise each other, I smell a conspiracy.
    Armenian anti-Semites say the Young Turks were Semites. Speaking for myself, I am less interested in knowing what others (be they Semites or goyim) did to us, and more interested in knowing what we, or rather our leadership, did for us. If they did something, what exactly? If nothing, what kind of leaders do nothing but pull their xxxx in time of crisis?
    Blaming our misfortunes on others is a dead end because it only reinforces our image as perennial losers and victims. Recognizing our blunders and learning from them however, may teach us not to behave like idiots in the future.
    Hugo Grotius was a 17th-century Dutch philosopher whose famous last words were: “By understanding many things, I have accomplished nothing.”
    Speaking of understanding, my favorite famous last words are Hegel's: “No one understood me except one, and even he didn't understand me.”
    Karl Marx understood him, and those who read and understand Marx call themselves Marxists. But Marx himself said he was not a Marxist, probably because he knew where there is an -ism, or an ideology, or a belief system, there will also be swine like the above-mentioned pope, who not only did nothing to stop the massacres but celebrated the occasion as a victory.
    What does the papacy and our leadership share in common? The pope struck a medal, our leaders raise monuments and build museums.
    #

Comment

Originally posted by arabaliozian
      Armenian anti-Semites say the Young Turks were Semites. Speaking for myself, I am less interested in knowing what others (be they Semites or goyim) did to us, and more interested in knowing what we, or rather our leadership, did for us.
      Roughly the same thing. The only valid question is: "What should I do?"

Comment

Originally posted by arabaliozian View Post
        Armenian anti-Semites say the Young Turks were Semites. Speaking for myself, I am less interested in knowing what others (be they Semites or goyim) did to us, and more interested in knowing what we, or rather our leadership, did for us. If they did something, what exactly? If nothing, what kind of leaders do nothing but pull their xxxx in time of crisis?
        Originally posted by axel View Post
        I believe the proper Idiom here would be :
        "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me"
        "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Tuesday, December 1, 2009
          WORTH REPEATING
          & REMEMBERING
          “An Armenian's tongue is sharper than a Turk's yataghan.” (Zarian)
          “Soft words can break bones.” (Anonymous)
          “Where Armenian blood flows, look for an Armenian hatchet.” (Raffi)
          “You want to save your fellow men?
          Prepare yourself to be crucified.” (Raffi)
          “A nation's history is an extension of its character.” (Nejdeh)
          “Armenian literature is a cemetery and
          writing for Armenians as cheerful a prospect as going to a funeral.” (Massikian)
          “Once upon a time we shed our blood for freedom.
          We are now afraid of free speech.” (Garabents)
          “Armenians survive by cannibalizing one another.” (Zarian)
          “Solidarity is the mother of good deeds,
          divisiveness of evil ones.” (Yeghishé)
          “You must burn in order to enlighten.” (Toumanian)
          “Let us learn to be human by observing animals.” (Aramais Sahakian)
          “A hungry vegetarian can be as dangerous as a carnivore.” (Yeznig Palig)
          “Teaching consists in opening the mind.
          The mouth will open by itself.” (Avedik Issahakian)
          #

Comment

Wednesday, December 2, 2009
            ALL IN A DAY'S WORK
            In an environment where no one thinks, thinking becomes a risky business. Socrates was not the only thinker who was condemned to death by a so-called enlightened and progressive democracy. You may be surprised to learn that the overwhelming majority of thinkers did not die a natural death but were arrested, imprisoned, tortured, burned alive, beheaded, committed suicide, and executed; or like Plato, Aristotle, and Voltaire, lived in fear of their life. For more on this subject see THE BOOK OF DEAD PHILOSOPHERS by Simon Critchley (London, 2008).
            The shortest list in the world? That of great Armenian statesmen.
            In judging others, I judge myself, or an aspect of myself that continues to reside within me even if only as a memory.
            I have many doubts about many things but about one thing I am certain: those I have insulted will neither forgive nor forget me.
            I condemn no one by calling them fools, dupes, and swine.
            I have been called worse names and I feel just fine.
            #

Comment

"You may be surprised to learn that the overwhelming majority of thinkers did not die a natural death but were arrested, imprisoned, tortured, burned alive, beheaded, committed suicide, and executed; or like Plato, Aristotle, and Voltaire, lived in fear of their life."
              Ara you can rest assured that you do not fall anywhere close to this catagory and that you will most likely live a long life.
              Hayastan or Bust.

Comment

Originally posted by axel View Post

Don't waste your time thinking about what this self appointed 'intellectual' has to say.
                For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
                to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Thursday, December 3, 2009
                  COMPASSION
                  Yesterday, when I said something to the effect that the majority of philosophers, beginning with Socrates, met a violent end, a gentle reader took it upon himself to point out that I had nothing to worry about. I am, of course, fully aware of the fact that Armenians do not as a rule condemn their writers to death. They only betray them to the authorities, even when the authorities happen to be bloodthirsty barbarians like Talaat and Stalin. After all, it is not for nothing that we are universally respected as the first nation that converted to Christianity, a religion based on compassion, which is a word we don't have in Armenian, and if we do, we never use it. My own dictionary translates it as " koot," which means pity rather than compassion, which means suffering with.
                  Propaganda allows bloodthirsty barbarians to say their aim is to advance the cause of civilization. As for their victims, propaganda allows them the luxury of bragging about their moral superiority.
                  If individual freedom is God's gift to us, as theologians are eager to explain, why is He more protective of the barbarian's freedom and less of the victim's? Is it conceivable that the Almighty is an unequal opportunity defender in Whose eyes the barbarian's freedom is of greater concern than the freedom of the defenseless victim?
                  Mao said, “Let one hundred flowers bloom, let one hundred schools of thought contend.”
                  Napoleon said, “A man with an idea is my enemy.”
                  Mao spoke like Mao but acted like Napoleon.
                  That's politics for you. You tell them what they want to hear and do what you have to do even when what you have to do stands in direct contradiction to what you tell them.
                  Propaganda is a win-win proposition, or a lottery in which everyone wins the first prize.
                  #

Comment

Originally posted by arabaliozian View Post
                    Thursday, December 3, 2009
                    COMPASSION
                    Yesterday, when I said something to the effect that the majority of philosophers, beginning with Socrates, met a violent end, a gentle reader took it upon himself to point out that I had nothing to worry about. I am, of course, fully aware of the fact that Armenians do not as a rule condemn their writers to death. They only betray them to the authorities, even when the authorities happen to be bloodthirsty barbarians like Talaat and Stalin.
                    #
                    I can only for sure speak about myself that no matter how much I am insulted by yourself or others and no matter how much you put me down or differ with me, I would never do such a thing. How about you?

Comment

Originally posted by Anoush View Post
                      I can only for sure speak about myself that no matter how much I am insulted by yourself or others and no matter how much you put me down or differ with me, I would never do such a thing. How about you?
                      He has no worries... Talaat and Stalin have been modernized to McCain and unAbel Palin.
                      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Working...
                      X