Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

notes and comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: elegy

Originally posted by Saco View Post
    This is what I mean when I talk about confusion! So many ideas in one post. Each of these ideas belong to a much broader discussion. So why do you try to say everything so fast? For example, you talk about America and then talk about what a smart Armenian should say! Does that make sense to you? A simple, straightforward post would get your message out MUCH better then this post ever could because it's what I like to call Borsh. You've mixed up all kinds of thoughts that have come in your mind in one post.

Now say I think you made a mistake in one sentence ... I can't say anything! Why? Because it will lead to a much broader discussion which means I won't get an answer. Just look at how you ignored almost 5 of my posts again. For that reason, I'm asking you to simply go one at a time unless you want us to completely ignore your posts from now on. I'm trying really hard here to read and try and understand you ... please give me a reason to continue doing so.
    Saco:
    it seems to me
    in whatever you say
    you give one the impression that you know better.
    i therefore have no choice but to conclude
    that you are wasting your time reading me.
    i know i am wasting mine when i read you
    because you do nothing but recycle propaganda.
    i have no idea how old you are
    but it is never too late to learn to think for youself.
    i wish you the best of luck!

Comment

QUOTATIONS FROM KAREKIN NEJDEH (1886-1957)
      Selected and translated by Ara Baliozian

The morally depraved can also voice noble principles.

Life is constant and endless renewal. Only the morally irresponsible refuse to understand this.

Without renewal, a nation dies every hour, every minute. Our political parties either don't understand this or they have no
      desire to understand it.

A nation that fails to do what it can and must do has no right to expect foreign assistance.

Nations that are unwilling to defend their own interests condemn themselves to death.

When dealing with foreign powers and issues, our press adopts a permissive, forgiving, and subservient tone. With our own internal problems, however, it becomes arrogant, vindictive, vicious.

Comment

This morning more than ever
        I am seized by an irresistible longing
        to speak my mother tongue.
        I search for an Armenian,
        any Armenian, with whom I can speak.
        If you understand this strange,
        irresistible longing,
        please help me.

I would like to meet an Armenian,
        any Armenian,
        even an alienated one
        who has forgotten his mother tongue.
        Let him remember a single word only;
        and let our paths cross
        so that I may say to him:
        Are you Armenian?
        And if he were to nod yes with his head,
        I would immediately cry out the words
        taught to me by my father and mother:
        Pari Louys!
        In the name of everything that is holy,
        I swear to you
        there can be nothing sweeter,
        nothing more heart-rending.

ow much meaning have our ancestors
        placed in that expression!...
        O my lovely Armenian language:
        as fresh as the morn
        and as deep as the night;
        as frolicsome as a child
        and as wise as an old man;
        as consoling as a prayer
        and as beautiful as Spring.

O my sweet Armenian language
        fit for a mighty king
        as well as a humble peasant,
        suitable for townspeople
        as well as villagers,
        ever youthful,
        ever mighty,
        may you live forever.

SHAVARSH NARTUNI
        (translated by Ara Baliozian)

--
        SHAVARSH NARTUNI (1898-1968) was born in a small village near Istanbul
        but spent most of his life in Paris. After receiving his medical
        degree, he became involved in community affairs and contributed a
        ceaseless flow of essays, short stories, prose poems, and articles on
        different aspects of Armenian culture, some of which were later
        collected and published in 20 volumes.

--
        Ara Baliozian was born in Athens, Greece and received his education
        in Venice, Italy. He lives in Ontario, Canada and writes in
        Armenian and English and has published over 20 books of his
        works. He has translated works from Armenian writers, such as
        Grigor Zohrab, Zabel Yessayan, and Kostan Zarian into English.

Comment

Saco:
          it seems to me
          in whatever you say
          you give one the impression that you know better.
          On the contrary, I'm trying to understand you. If you saw something wrong in my posts, I apologize, but I spoke not only my mind but that of many, many others. And which part of ANY of my posts suggested that I KNOW BETTER? I challenged your views ... I didn't laugh at you or try to degrade you or your views in any way. Please don't get the wrong idea.

i therefore have no choice but to conclude
          that you are wasting your time reading me.
          i know i am wasting mine when i read you
          because you do nothing but recycle propaganda.
          I wonder how ... although I'm probably wasting my time because you won't reply ... AGAIN! And it seems I already have wasted my time because you COMPLETELY misunderstood me.

And I wish you all the best as well but it is neither late to listen to what others are saying and try and understand them the same way they are trying to understand YOU!

Peace
          THE ROAD TO FREEDOM AND JUSTICE IS A LONG ONE!

Comment

I like the structure of ara's post, it starts with a familiar, easily understandable example (Wall Street gangsters), then shows how peoples' minds support such tyrannical structures (referring to his fellow Armenians of course), reminds us again of the American example of false promises (a phenomenon that is nowhere near exclusively American), reminds us how Armenians seek to be blameless...

It's just his central message that until we recognize the terms of the world and stop blaming someone else for our troubles, our not so virtuous leaders will manipulate us through our surface differences and lead us to satisfy their own whims, ultimately leading to the worst possible tyranny, the kind where we see nothing amiss with our situation.
            J, many misunderstand him. Like I said, he tries to say lots of things with one sentence. I'm afraid that doesn't always heed good results when OVERDONE. This writing style is interesting but hard to understand on many occasions. The overall message is clear to everyone but when you start going into details, many different ideas popup ... many random ideas somehow related to the subject. Each of those ideas though belong to a much broader discussion and when people ask a question say related to just ONE of them ... like one related to Armenians for example ... Mr. B doesn't reply! That's why I'm saying, let's go step by step so we can all understand and not MISUNDERSTAND everthing being presented and get the chance to ask questions, discuss these issues, and get good answers. This is my humble advice because I've heard a lot of people criticize him. I mean, at times, he says one thing but means something completely different and people start misunderstanding him. It's natural. I hoped to let him know so we couldall have more interesting discussions and why not, learn something along the way and all I got is a message politely saying that I'm a smart ass and should learn to think for myself, lol!

I do think for myself ... I simply don't ignore the world while I'm at it.....

Comment

Saco, I don't have answers for all of the points you're questioning. But as for Baliozian's style, he is not a casual forum member sending posts whenever he sees an interesting thread. He is a writer and sharing his work with us here. You can not send a letter to Tolstoy and tell him to write shorter as more people will be able to read him.
              Don't you see that we can't expect to alter his style or want him to discuss every line of his work with us?

Comment

I think Ara sometimes hits and sometimes misses, at his age it is probably too late to tell him when he misses, because he's too set in hes ways.It would be nice though, to tell him when he connects.I personally think at the very least hes a throw back to those old Ottoman wall calenders, that inform you of old wisdom and idioms he probably grew up reading like me
                "All truth passes through three stages:
                First, it is ridiculed;
                Second, it is violently opposed; and
                Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Originally posted by arabaliozian View Post
                  Friday, June 18, 2009
                  THE WAGES OF SIN
                  Hannah Arendt: “If we do not know our own history, we are doomed to live it as though it were our fate.”
                  #
                  For instance I love this one.Too bad its not Ara's.
                  "All truth passes through three stages:
                  First, it is ridiculed;
                  Second, it is violently opposed; and
                  Third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Comment

Originally posted by arabaliozian View Post
                    Are we allowed to think for ourselves without being persecuted?

Originally posted by Gavur View Post
                    I think Ara sometimes hits and sometimes misses, at his age it is probably too late to tell him when he misses, because he's too set in hes ways.It would be nice though, to tell him when he connects. I personally think at the very least hes a throw back to those old Ottoman wall calenders, that inform you of old wisdom and idioms he probably grew up reading like me
                    Classical thought never misses, it is constantly being recycled.
                    Last edited by KanadaHye; 06-19-2009, 03:59 PM.
                    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Saco, I don't have answers for all of the points you're questioning. But as for Baliozian's style, he is not a casual forum member sending posts whenever he sees an interesting thread. He is a writer and sharing his work with us here. You can not send a letter to Tolstoy and tell him to write shorter as more people will be able to read him.
                      Don't you see that we can't expect to alter his style or want him to discuss every line of his work with us?
                      Kardesh, that's why I asked, is this a diary or something? No reply as usual. When he replied, I thought we were sharing ideas already and have a discussion. Now I guess we're back to diary mode.

And I wasn't discussing EVERY line, I challenged a few views and didn't get proper answers (for some reason). If Ara just wants to fill this thread with his works then let him do so but let him let us know that he isn't going to be answering questions or anything like that properly. But if he wants our views and will be answering then I'm afraid tactics are going to have to change a bit.

Comment

Working...
                      X