Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Muammar Gaddafi and Libyan crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Muammar Gaddafi and Libyan crisis

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
    Anybody in the oil business wants Gaddafi gone. The family has enough real estate around the world, they don't need to stay in Libya that's for sure. I really don't understand why they don't want to step down and take a break from all the ruling and live happily ever after with billions. I guess it must be a power thing. Either way, I don't see anyone doing a better job than the Gaddafi clan... anyone else would have exploited that country 10 times over by now.
    Because for Ghazafi it's about more than just money. He loves his country but he also has a big ego and strong pride due to his military background and he is not about to go down in history books as the man who fled his own country. After all, who would want that? It was the same with Mubarak which is why he did not want to step down for 18 straight days. He continuously reminded everyone of his glorious military career (and give credit where it's due, he is a war hero for Egypt) but enough was enough.

And that article by Illuminator had some interesting facts about the HDI index. We'd be in blatant denial if we were to forget some of the advancements/good Ghazafi made for the country, including this often forgotten "Great Manmade River" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Manmade_River

Also, check out this video some Jew made that's become viral lol.

Last edited by Federate; 03-01-2011, 09:14 PM.
    Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

As crazy and wicked as Ghaddafi is, he's done some good for Libya and has said a lot of things I agree with. He just doesn't know how to market himself in front of the world. Everyone perceives him as some crazy tribal leader with way too much power, which he is to a large extent.

One of the truest things he said was during a UN speech a couple years ago. He was talking about the UN Charter, and how it states that all countries, big or small, are equal. He then said it was hypocritical when only a handful of countries have permanent seats and when only a few have veto power. He said all countries were clearly not equal, and that if the UN isn't going to follow its own charter then they should get rid of it. He then proceeded to rip a copy of the charter in front of the delegates of all the member states! Who else would be so blunt and brazen to do something like that? He really sets himself up to be singled out.

He also publicly backed the IRA and said they were freedom fighters who were trying to unite Ireland, at a time when the entire world was condemning them as terrorists. That type of honesty and boldness is not well-suited in international politics.

Anyways, it seems he is content with tightening his grip on Tripoli and a few other scattered strongholds for the time being. I think at the moment he is planning to do either one of two things: Gathering all his forces for a massive offensive (possibly straight at Benghazi), or waiting around for weeks/months until the protesters wear themselves out and start fighting amongst themselves. After all, the opposition doesn't have any semblance of leadership, they seem like a pretty splintered group up to this point. However, I think that can change rather quickly, especially since the west has an interest in toppling him and will no doubt start grooming leaders amongst the rebels.

The opposition needs to take Tripoli to topple his regime. Ghaddafi knows this and he's going to sit there and hope the rebels attack him where he is strongest. I know much of the oil fields are in the hands of rebels, but I'm not sure it will positively effect the rebels in the short term, especially since a large percentage of workers in the oil industry are foreigners who are on their way out.

Comment

I don't think I'm the only one that has noticed the plethora of spelling variations this man's name has: Gaddafi, Qadhafi, Ghadafi, Ghazzafi, Gadafi...
        Last edited by Davo88; 03-01-2011, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Davo88 View Post
          I don't think I'm the only one that has noticed the plethora of spelling variations this man's name has: Gaddafi, Gadhafi, Ghadafi, Ghazzafi, Gadafi...

I noticed as well I think it has to do with the fact that Standard Arabic has not proper transliteration into the Latin alphabet.
          For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
          to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

• Re: Two Libyan fighter pilots defect, fly to Malta

Guest Column: Libyan war must be acknowledged

By Megan Ananian, Fourth-year accounting student
            [email protected]

Massacres, genocide can be stopped by awareness, should not be ignored

From the 1890s to the 1920s, Turkey massacred a large percentage of the Armenian population for spreading ideas about civil rights. This spurred the first international human rights movement and the American Red Cross to embark on its first mission to aid Armenian survivors of massacres in 1896.

Although the public’s disapproval of these atrocities increased, the punishments for these crimes grew weaker. In 1921, the Turkish trials were abandoned while war crime prisoners were traded and freed. The U.S. needed Turkey as an ally because it was the core to oil policy in the Middle East. Baroness Caroline Cox of British Parliament responded in 1999, “If nations are allowed to commit genocide with impunity ... there is a real danger that other brutal regimes will be encouraged to attempt genocides. Unless we speak today of the Armenian genocide ... we shall leave this century of unprecedented genocides with this blot on our consciences.” The Armenian Genocide is looked at as an archetype for the genocides that ensued. Even Hitler remarked with indifference, stating, “Who, after all, speaks today of the annihilation of the Armenians?”

As you read this, hundreds of Libyans are dying while attempting to overthrow their dictator in the hope for democracy that has been spreading across the Middle East. The oppressive government has disconnected the people’s Internet and thrown out the media in attempts to permanently silence the movement for change. Through courageous acts of protestors, social media has exposed the atrocities in Libya. A Twitter activist @ChangeInLibya in Tripoli published, “LIBYANS ARE BEING MASSACRED RIGHT NOW.. LISTEN TO THE NEWS.. HELP US PLS HELP US.. TRIPOLI HAS 1000S OF DEATHS FOR GODS SAKE WORLD WAKE UP.” President Barack Obama finally acknowledged the violence Wednesday night, while major news outlets allowed Justin Bieber’s haircut to overshadow the selfish complaints of increasing oil prices as a result of the protests.

The question is quite simple: At what point are the diplomatic compromises no longer acceptable to the basic principles of man? How much genocide, in the name of religion, nationalism or race, is required before the people of this planet are willing to stand up for another man’s basic right to live? What would the world be like if nations acted from the heart instead of cloaking black and white with the “grays” of diplomacy?

Friends, Gamexxxx family and fellow human beings, we cannot let the Libyan voices be silenced and forgotten like the Armenians’. History does not have to repeat itself. We can’t save every life, but we can spread awareness. Martin Luther King Jr. said, “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.” Look beyond the triviality of your problems, and help our generation change the world for the better.

xxxx = c ock

Oh no, an Armenian buying that bilge and trashing the AG in the process. She should know better than to lump lies in with the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Armanen View Post
              I noticed as well I think it has to do with the fact that Standard Arabic has not proper transliteration into the Latin alphabet.
              True! Arabs themselves have different ways of pronouncing it, I think.

Comment

I don't think I'm the only one that has noticed the plethora of spelling variations this man's name has: Gaddafi, Qadhafi, Ghadafi, Ghazzafi, Gadafi...
                I personally prefer Ghazafi, that's how my dad says his name
                Azerbaboon: 9.000 Google hits and counting!

Comment

• Re: Two Libyan fighter pilots defect, fly to Malta

In case no one noticed, this is an armed insurrection, Libya was invaded from Egypt and many of the people posing for the cameras are Egyptians. These people are not "rebels" they are invaders. Notice they go for the military installations and oil fields? That benefits who? Washington or the people?

Comment

I guess Ghazzafi's invasion of the east is already underway. I have a feeling the rebels are going to get smashed: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12618367

Comment

Originally posted by ArmSurvival View Post
                      I guess Ghazzafi's invasion of the east is already underway. I have a feeling the rebels are going to get smashed: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12618367
                      If so, then the US may decide to attack should it calculate that a post Gaddafi government would be better. I hope they do not, it will backfire, and the US really does not need to be in another (muslim) country.
                      For the first time in more than 600 years, Armenia is free and independent, and we are therefore obligated
                      to place our national interests ahead of our personal gains or aspirations.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/main.html

Comment

Working...
                      X