Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Choosing sex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing sex

Science finally crossed that bitty thin line it wasn't supposed to cross. Parents now have the ability to buy their baby's gender. Oh dear. Does anyone else have a problem with this???

Here's the science behind what happens. A technique called preimplantation genetic diagnosis is used. Egg and sperm donated by the mother and father are used to create embryos outside the womb. The embryos are then tested for gender, embryos of the specific gender the parents requested (the word 'requested' makes me shudder, oh my) are implanted into the mother through in-vitro fertilization, the embryos of the other gender are disposed of, and voila with almost 100 percent certainty the sex of the baby is guaranteed. Price tag: $18,480. We are literally making babies to order now.

This disturbs me.

Gender selection is a practice currently being used in the US, and around the world, except in the UK where it is banned (except for medical reasons like if for example you have had genetic analysis done and know for sure that you are a carrier of the gene for hemophilia and your husband has the recessive gene for it, meaning that any son you have- since this is a Y-linked disease only males can get- will have hemophilia, then you want to have only daughters because your sons will be born with a debilitating disease... etc). Another thing that disturbs me is the ads being used to promote this new 'tool'. I swear I read one that says "Do you want to choose the gender of your next baby? Money back guaranteed!" WHAT?!?! And what do you do if because of some mess up in the lab you accidentally get implanted with a baby that is not the gender you 'requested', get an abortion? Oops, try again?! What if God forbid you don't notice until the baby is born? Do you hate the child because it is not the gender you wanted it to be?

Designer babies are going to get here sooner than we think and it's really just a matter of time before this whole thing explodes, I wish something could be done to stop it.
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

The technology for doing this has existed for quite some time - there is nothing really new about it. However, it has been used almost exclusively for couples with legitimate fears of having babies with certain genetic diseases. For example, male embryos might be rejected because it is so likely that they may carry hemophilia. In other cases, the embryo can be genetically tested for the disease itself, and only healthy ones will be implanted...but now its geting out of control and additional concerns ppl have are possible sex ration imbalances in the future ( like in china and india).There is also a great risk that child can fail to live up to particular gender stereotypes.
    I'm a monstrous mass of vile, foul & corrupted matter.

Comment

I have no issue with this. Bring back eugenics and let nature take its course.

Comment

This is disgusting. No one should be able to designate the engineering of their offspring. Genetic diseases and birth complications are a biological form of birth control. Things happen the way they do for a reason. There are less men in the world because of biological circumstances and abilities that I will not get into. Look at any species in nature and you will find this. This is sick. And I dont mean sick in the cool surfer way.

Comment

Is homo sapiens not a species in nature? We've come to the point where we're capable of defeating inborn complications; it's a competitive advantage like any other adaptation.

Comment

a perfect world would be boring

Comment

How will this technology result in the formation of a perfect world?

Comment

soo we will choose the sex of our children, the color of there hair and eyes, the skin color, sooner or later the brain power etc etc. If we pick and choose how our kids come out, then it will be boring, everyone will be perfect. How gay would that be.

Comment

You find perfection in intentionally selected physical traits? Everyone will look the way their parents want them to; they will not be perfect, nor will they be alike, as unique parents will still have unique preferences. Most will probably not choose their children's asthetic traits at all, preferring instead that their children look the way they look; the way it already works.

Comment

what i meant is, we are moving toward perfection in the future. We keep improving things. Sooner or later we will be allowed to make our children perfect, or even maybe the government might. I dunno, whatever, forget it.

Comment

Working...
                    X