Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Film and Future...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film and Future...

Some one recently mentioned to me that movies taking place in the future always seem to have the future looking very drab. Stills for "I, Robot" so far, and look at other movie that take place in the future like "Minority Report", "Blade Runner", the "Alien" trilogy, and others seem to have color and design get really boring in clothing and general building decorations, etc. There is very often a hospital cleanliness and everything looks new or there's a filter on that takes the contrast in the colors out. Plain but high-tech.

I agree with this to and extent and I can think of a couple of possible reasons for this.

I would think about it in terms of creating a story and the motivations for doing so. These stories are all designed to make the audience fear the future to some degree; it seems that is the feeling that creators want to invoke. It's a cinematic standard to make the imagery mimic the feeling that you want someone to have of something. You have to ask yourself, how many movies portraying the future, have a positive, warm outlook as a philosophy? None that come to mind, for me. These are stories that prey on the fear people have of the unknown and the fear of everything they hold vaulable being taken away from them. Such imagery immediately invokes a feeling of loss in its audience.

Maybe film makers should do this: make movies that would normally take place in the present, but make the setting the future. All the things in the present that invoke a feeling of warmth should do so and everything in the present that invokes an uncomfortable feeling should be the same in the future. Why can't a stereotypical highschool drama take place in the future? Identification? Maybe. But isn't that a philosophy to be expressed in itself?

Of course, there is always the other thing: making your scenery as vague and impersonal as possible gives the art a longer life. An example in literature would be a comparison between George Orwell's 1984 and Aldous Huxely's Brave New World. 1984 has a feeling of being dated where B.N.W can be read at anytime and feel like it is the future. That may be a great driving factor in the set design of films that take place in the future. It would prolong its significance to a certain degree.

But that's just my opinion; I could be wrong.

Re: Film and Future...

Originally posted by dusken Some one recently mentioned to me that movies taking place in the future always seem to have the future looking very drab. Stills for "I, Robot" so far, and look at other movie that take place in the future like "Minority Report", "Blade Runner", the "Alien" trilogy, and others seem to have color and design get really boring in clothing and general building decorations, etc. There is very often a hospital cleanliness and everything looks new or there's a filter on that takes the contrast in the colors out. Plain but high-tech.

I agree with this to and extent and I can think of a couple of possible reasons for this.

I would think about it in terms of creating a story and the motivations for doing so. These stories are all designed to make the audience fear the future to some degree; it seems that is the feeling that creators want to invoke. It's a cinematic standard to make the imagery mimic the feeling that you want someone to have of something. You have to ask yourself, how many movies portraying the future, have a positive, warm outlook as a philosophy? None that come to mind, for me. These are stories that prey on the fear people have of the unknown and the fear of everything they hold vaulable being taken away from them. Such imagery immediately invokes a feeling of loss in its audience.

Maybe film makers should do this: make movies that would normally take place in the present, but make the setting the future. All the things in the present that invoke a feeling of warmth should do so and everything in the present that invokes an uncomfortable feeling should be the same in the future. Why can't a stereotypical highschool drama take place in the future? Identification? Maybe. But isn't that a philosophy to be expressed in itself?

Of course, there is always the other thing: making your scenery as vague and impersonal as possible gives the art a longer life. An example in literature would be a comparison between George Orwell's 1984 and Aldous Huxely's Brave New World. 1984 has a feeling of being dated where B.N.W can be read at anytime and feel like it is the future. That may be a great driving factor in the set design of films that take place in the future. It would prolong its significance to a certain degree.

But that's just my opinion; I could be wrong.
    So you hit the nail on the head as to WHY filmmakers that make films about the future use such stark imagry, why would they do anything differently since it obviously seems to be working?
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

I like this thread in that it got me thinking about the future, and as to why we as humans have trouble conceiving of it, and why it would be odd for filmmakers and writers to do so as well. The "future" does not exist, and neither does the "past." The only thing that really exists is the present, a kind of snapshot of the state of the universe as we perceive it, i.e. consciousness determines reality. But this snapshot includes our memories, the existence of which makes us think that the past existed, and thus gives the illusion that time passes. From this illusion we extrapolate that since time passes, it will continue to pass, and so the future must exist. Thus, the past exists only in our memories, which pretty much define what the past is, which explains why time appears to flow only in one direction i.e., we can't "remember" the future.
      Achkerov kute.

Comment

Re: Re: Film and Future...

Originally posted by ckBejug So you hit the nail on the head as to WHY filmmakers that make films about the future use such stark imagry, why would they do anything differently since it obviously seems to be working?
        That depends on how you define working. If you mean making money, then it is applicable to any genre portraying anything. Formula keeps the moronic masses happy. But one can argue that it is getting tired as an artform; that the visual conformity impedes progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse I like this thread in that it got me thinking about the future, and as to why we as humans have trouble conceiving of it, and why it would be odd for filmmakers and writers to do so as well. The "future" does not exist, and neither does the "past." The only thing that really exists is the present, a kind of snapshot of the state of the universe as we perceive it, i.e. consciousness determines reality. But this snapshot includes our memories, the existence of which makes us think that the past existed, and thus gives the illusion that time passes. From this illusion we extrapolate that since time passes, it will continue to pass, and so the future must exist. Thus, the past exists only in our memories, which pretty much define what the past is, which explains why time appears to flow only in one direction i.e., we can't "remember" the future.
          I have two reactions to this:

1. From the perspective of a present time, the progression of the path of time (essentially the future) can be simply seen as a branching out of possibilities, like exponentially increasing forks in roads. The future can, for the sake of art, be constructed by anticipating the forks in the roads and deciding which way an entity in time will travel. That unfortunately, is building future experience from past experience, which is what you pointed out.

2. The present is never perceived. An obvious but unusual thought.

Comment

and look at other movie that take place in the future like "Minority Report", "Blade Runner", the "Alien" trilogy, and others seem to have color and design get really boring in clothing and general building decorations, etc.
            you're kidding me, right? Blade Runner cannot be compared to any of them "future-themed" films... it is one of the finest scifi movies of all time.

And on the contrary, Blade Runner doesn't make me "fear" the future. it gives me a warm feeling inside. i love it. i would love to live in that place and time. it's beautiful. it's inspiring. i dream about it all the time. i'm serious, btw. i have the PC game of Blade Runner. that's how much warmth it gives me.

Comment

Originally posted by Darorinag you're kidding me, right? Blade Runner cannot be compared to any of them "future-themed" films... it is one of the finest scifi movies of all time.

And on the contrary, Blade Runner doesn't make me "fear" the future. it gives me a warm feeling inside. i love it. i would love to live in that place and time. it's beautiful. it's inspiring. i dream about it all the time. i'm serious, btw. i have the PC game of Blade Runner. that's how much warmth it gives me.
              I am not making a comparison of the quality of the films. I hate "Minority Report" and everything else Speilberg (including his butchering of A.I.) because he is an awful film maker. If you want to discuss quality, the movie "Alien" is definately comparable. And yes "Blade Runner" can be compared to "any of them future-themed films". Anyway, that is beside that point. This is purely about the visual approaches and goals.

Besides, nothing will ever compare to "2001: A Space Oddyssey".

Comment

You have to ask yourself, how many movies portraying the future, have a positive, warm outlook as a philosophy?
                Blade Runner has a mild ending. Don't you think? Think about it, the girl is a replicant... he goes off with her... it goes to show it's not that bad. that there are evil people in all places and times. at least that's my take on it. that is why i love the movie, besides its artistic creativity.

as for why a teenage drama or whatever can't take place in the future... well, it could, but perhaps not in the same way it would right now... times do change... things weren't the same 80 years ago... things won't be the same in the future. who knows. that is exactly the point, and that's when you let your imagination fly. the overrepresentation of evil people or robots in future themed movies is nothing but part of the good/bad dynamic in all movies... i think.. only that it's with a twist of imagination into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Darorinag Blade Runner has a mild ending. Don't you think? Think about it, the girl is a replicant... he goes off with her... it goes to show it's not that bad. that there are evil people in all places and times. at least that's my take on it. that is why i love the movie, besides its artistic creativity.

as for why a teenage drama or whatever can't take place in the future... well, it could, but perhaps not in the same way it would right now... times do change... things weren't the same 80 years ago... things won't be the same in the future. who knows. that is exactly the point, and that's when you let your imagination fly. the overrepresentation of evil people or robots in future themed movies is nothing but part of the good/bad dynamic in all movies... i think.. only that it's with a twist of imagination into it.

I never mentioned evil or badness among the human race. I think you misunderstood my original post.

Comment

All of the Star Trek series and the films were very optimistic about the future.

Comment

Working...
                    X