Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Film and Future...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dusken I never mentioned evil or badness among the human race. I think you misunderstood my original post.
    i think i did, too.. but i'm not sure.. i thought u were talking about ways of representing those.. ? after all, you did talk about how the future was depicted in "fearful" terms or characters.. hmm.. oh well..

Comment

Re: Film and Future...

Originally posted by dusken

Maybe film makers should do this: make movies that would normally take place in the present, but make the setting the future. All the things in the present that invoke a feeling of warmth should do so and everything in the present that invokes an uncomfortable feeling should be the same in the future. Why can't a stereotypical highschool drama take place in the future? Identification? Maybe. But isn't that a philosophy to be expressed in itself?
      interesting thread.
      hmmmm...
      but what do u mean by the "setting of the future"?
      cuz in the beginning of your post you've talked about the plain boring architecture and spacial qualites of those "futures". so somehow I smell contradiction.
      secondly, these movies often take place in the very far future, where such understandings as high school or "warm feelings" are going to be very different, if they will exist at all.
      so my question is... why do you want today's drama? are you looking to RELATE to this kind of movies?
      cuz if theres gonna be today's drama and today's buildings, then what do u think would make a piece of film "set in the future?"

Comment

Re: Re: Film and Future...

Originally posted by jahannam interesting thread.
        hmmmm...
        but what do u mean by the "setting of the future"?
        cuz in the beginning of your post you've talked about the plain boring architecture and spacial qualites of those "futures". so somehow I smell contradiction.
        secondly, these movies often take place in the very far future, where such understandings as high school or "warm feelings" are going to be very different, if they will exist at all.
        so my question is... why do you want today's drama? are you looking to RELATE to this kind of movies?
        cuz if theres gonna be today's drama and today's buildings, then what do u think would make a piece of film "set in the future?"

I did not say "setting of the future." I think if you reread it you may understand what I mean. The idea of all of this is that, from a production standpoint, films of the future tend to be shot the same way and romantic comedies or teenage dramas tend to be shot different ways. Now as much as I hate the latter two, there has become an expectation that a movie set in the future is going to have a certain visual effect to it. I am not necessarily saying that the architecture itself or the clothes should be the same as they are now but production approach is becoming tiring. A lot of the futuristic films take place between 50 and 70 years into the future. If you go back to the mid thirties you would see that, of course, the technology is at a much earlier stage but the humanity is the same. It seems that films are produced to take that warmth out by focussing on elements that invoke a feeling of detachment. Is it a guarantee that we will no longer have forests or theme parks or comedy clubs or art or passions or people whistling as they walk? I don't think so. I am not saying it's wrong; I am only saying that the reduction that takes place is a tired attitude.

Comment

yes i agree, many film makers tend to show the future as being very boring as in sleek lines, abstract shapes, clean cutt everything. Either boring colors or the opposite- very vibrant colors.

but i guess everyones idea of the future is different.
          Some think of it as getting more simple as in the tools we use, the way we do things, get easier because technology advances. But i tend to think the future gets even more difficult because problems in society and the world in general are getting more complicated then they were in the stone age. I think as technology and humans advance, so do all the problems and tasks we have to do in the future.

why cant we all just live in the moment, instead of making films on the future. we arent happy with what we have now, we strive to step into the future or to predict it too much. Just injoy your lives now and the beautiful things you see around you now.

Comment

ok, let me spill my views on Blade Runner and why I think it's a great "future" / sci fi movie.

I think it's great because it preserves the very basic element that seems to be greatly lacking in "alien" movies - human beings. perhaps the main character is a human being, but the interaction is mainly between a specific human being and some other creatures, rather than human-human and/or human-creature and/or creature-creature. Blade Runner shows all three, packed in one. It shows the relationships (well, not in a heterosexual sense of the term) between human beings, the relationships between humans and replicants, and the relationship between replicants themselves. And I think that's what makes it a great movie, in addition to its thematic proposition that replicants are not always evil (Rachel).

Comment

Working...
            X