Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The List of Books Everybody Should Own!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which one is the best translation of Machiavelli's The Prince?
    There was quite a few at the bookstore.

Comment

well?...anyone?...any suggestions?

I searched online, but I'm not a very savy surfer.

I came up with Adams...but ...

Comment

Get the one translated and edited by Daniel Donno.
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Comment

Also,
            The Moon and Sixpence - Somerset Maugham
            Old Goriot (or Père Goriot) - Balzac
            Germinal - Emile Zola
            All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque

and, for those who want to learn German:

German for Beginners - Dieter Cunz (1965)

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname Into the Wild - Jon Krakauer
              Under the Banner of Heaven - Jon Krakauer
              A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - James Joyce
              Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - H.S. Thompson
              The Elegant Universe - Brian Greene
              The Blind Watchmaker - Richard Dawkins
              The Sickness unto Death - Soren Kierkegaard
              Fear and Trembling - Soren Kierkegaard
              How to Win Friends and Influence People - Dale Carnegie
              Communion - Whitley Streiber
              Genesis Revisited - Zecharia Sitchin
              Atheism: A Philosophical Justification - Michael Martin
              The Case Against Christianity - Michael Martin
              The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
              Nothing in this Book is True, But It's Exactly the Way Things Are - Bob Frissell
              On Liberty - John Stuart Mill
              Utilitarianism - John Stuart Mill
              Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion - David Hume
              An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding - David Hume
              Universal Myths - Joseph Campbell
              The Golden Bough - George Frazier
              The Universe in a Nutshell - Stephen Hawking
              A Short History of Time - Stephen Hawking
              Religion and the Modern Mind - William T. Stace

and many, many others . . .
              You're books seem very limited, only reading the things you agree with.

Do correct me kind sage.
              Achkerov kute.

Comment

Re: The List of Books Everybody Should Own!

Originally posted by Anonymouse
                One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
                I am surprised...This is a novel about love and has a very surreal, romantic feel to it. Something you wouldn't normally be interested in.

Originally posted by Anonymouse
                Fingerprints of the Gods by Graham Hanxxxx
                So what was the last name of the author again? By the way, which one of his books is the most intriguing? I like the Mars Mystery so far, also "The Sign and the Seal: The Quest for the Lost Ark of the Covenant" is supposed to be good.

A few others that are one my list are:

-The Eternal Darkness : A Personal History of Deep-Sea Exploration by Robert D. Ballard

-The Code Book: The Science of Secrecy from Ancient Egypt to Quantum Cryptography by Simon Singh

- The Praetorian Guard : The US Role In The New World Order by John Stockwell

- The Illuminatus! Trilogy : The Eye in the Pyramid, The Golden Apple, Leviathan by Robert Shea

- Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot

- The Footprints of God : A Novel by Greg Iles

Has anyone read these? So many books to read and not enough time. Hopefully when I retire.

Comment

Wow, look at that, some books I haven't come across but seem interesting after a nice search.

I especially am intered in The Praetorian Guard.

As for On Hundred Years of Solitude, it was more than just a love story, let's not forget why the author was writing, when, and where, Ms anileve.
                  Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse You're books seem very limited, only reading the things you agree with.

Do correct me kind sage.
                    I would have listed many more, but you already listed a lot of them.

By the way, there is plenty in those books that I do not agree with. Even the Blind Watchmaker, which I constantly cite and praise, is a very flawed book.

Comment

Re: Re: The List of Books Everybody Should Own!

Originally posted by anileve

- Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot

That is a great book.

Here some others.

The Self-Aware Universe: How Consciousness Creates the Material World by Maggie Goswami(Physicist)

Space-Time and Beyond: Toward an Explanation of the Unexplainable by Bob Toben

...and those are from Fred Alan Wolf(Physicist)

The Eagle's Quest, Parallel Universes
                      The Dreaming Universe
                      Taking the Quantum Leap
                      Matter Into Feeling: A New Alchemy of Science and Spirit
                      Bridging Science and Spirit: Common Elements in David Bohm's Physics, the Perennial Philosophy and Seth(Wolf and by Norman Friedman)
                      The Body Quantum: The New Physics of Body, Mind and Health
                      Star Wave: Mind, Consciousness, and Quantum Physics
                      The Spiritual Universe: How Quantum Physics Proves the Existence of the Soul
                      Mind and the new physics

I will be adding more later.

Comment

Working...
                      X