Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

The List of Books Everybody Should Own!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To the list requires an update of books that one should own. I found the reading material for one of my classes to be very interesting, and had a theme running throughout all the books. I highly recommend them.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche
    -Beyond Good and Evil
    -The Gay Science
    -On the Genealogy of Morals and Ecce Homo
    -Human, All Too Human Human

Man and Superman by Bernard Shaw
    The Dehumanization of Art (essay) by Jose Ortega Y Gasset
    Bread and Wine by Ignazio Silone
    No Exit by Jean-Paul Sartre
    Civilization and It's Discontents by Sigmund Freud
    Madness and Civilization by Michel Foucault
    -Discipline and Punish
    -The Order of Things
    -The History of Sexuality

One Dimensional Man by Herbert Marcuse
    The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Currently I'm reading:

-"The Caucasian Knot" about Nagorno Karabakh
      -Angelina Jolie's "Notes From My Travels" about her visits with refugees in Africa, Cambodia, Pakistan, and Ecuador.... very touching stories

Great books.... I just don't have time to finish 'em with all these school work and this forum isn't really helping lol.

Comment

Originally posted by CatWoman
        Currently I'm reading:

-"The Caucasian Knot" about Nagorno Karabakh
        -Angelina Jolie's "Notes From My Travels" about her visits with refugees in Africa, Cambodia, Pakistan, and Ecuador.... very touching stories

Great books.... I just don't have time to finish 'em with all these school work and this forum isn't really helping lol.
        One is definitely a celebrity worshiper if you read Angelina Jolie.
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

Re: The List of Books Everybody Should Own!

Next to everything else that is good for the brain and you enjoy reading, I'm actually surprised that no one has posted an Armenian literary author. As Armenians we should care not to neglect our own authors. There really are some great names out there that are absolutely worth reading if you like fiction. Here's a short list of some of our classic authors. (NOTE: some of them have been translated to English so you have no excuse!):

Gostan Zarian
          Hagop Baronian
          Yervant Odian
          Aksel Bakounts
          Khachatur Abovian
          Yeghishe Charents
          Zabel Yessayan
          William Saroyan
          Michael Arlen
          Raffi
          Derenik Demirchian
          Shahan Shahnour
          Arthur Adamov
          Hovhannes Toumanian
          Avetik Isahakian
          Vahan Totovents

And many, many more. I'd like to hear more from you!

Comment

Originally posted by tunot
            Next to everything else that is good for the brain and you enjoy reading, I'm actually surprised that no one has posted an Armenian literary author. As Armenians we should care not to neglect our own authors. There really are some great names out there that are absolutely worth reading if you like fiction. Here's a short list of some of our classic authors. (NOTE: some of them have been translated to English so you have no excuse!):

Gostan Zarian
            Hagop Baronian
            Yervant Odian
            Aksel Bakounts
            Khachatur Abovian
            Yeghishe Charents
            Zabel Yessayan
            William Saroyan
            Michael Arlen
            Raffi
            Derenik Demirchian
            Shahan Shahnour
            Arthur Adamov
            Hovhannes Toumanian
            Avetik Isahakian
            Vahan Totovents

And many, many more. I'd like to hear more from you!

Thanks for that. Note that I have read Toumanian, as well as Sevak and Shiraz, and Saroyan. I have heard alot of Zarian and would like to make some time to read his stuff as it has interested me for quite a while.
            Achkerov kute.

Comment

Mikael Nalbandian

Comment

You'll like Zarian, Mouse.

Nalbandian is a classic as well!

Comment

The Cloning of the American Mind -- B. K. Eakman (Mouse, I REALLY think you should read this)

All of Denis Miller's "Rant" books

Borstal Boy -- Brendan Behan.

Comment

The Tao of Physics: An exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism Capra, F. {1975/…2000}

REALLY good read...
                    ---------------\

Sometimes GARBAGE sings just that...

I only can be happy, with NO RAIN, or any of the rest of that. Much of the time, they get it 1/2 right. Or maybe *I* only get 1/2?

Happy and 'rain' are not even in the same galaxy, to me.

Jack Johnson understands some...
                    Last edited by Anahita; 04-30-2006, 10:41 PM.

Comment

You're only happy when it's complicated.

Comment

Working...
                      X