Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Evolution and Religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orthodox Jews and Young-Earth Creationists doubt that the earth is more than 10,000 years old. That is not legitimate doubt. Again, you cannot refute the fossil record. There is a very obvious progression of closely related species leading to those that currently exist today. Unless you are suggesting they were separately created by some unknown means, and the fact that they appear to have evolved is simply coincidence, you must admit evolution. Any reasonable person will.

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname Orthodox Jews and Young-Earth Creationists doubt that the earth is more than 10,000 years old. That is not legitimate doubt. Again, you cannot refute the fossil record. There is a very obvious progression of closely related species leading to those that currently exist today. Unless you are suggesting they were separately created by some unknown means, and the fact that they appear to have evolved is simply coincidence, you must admit evolution. Any reasonable person will.
      Once again, evolution must be so because it appears to be so, seems the prevailing them in your writing. At some point evolution begins to be a tautology. I cannot refute the fossil record because there is some sort of progression that makes us believe there is evolution. Because it appears so, it must be so.
      Achkerov kute.

Comment

There is no reason to question it, unless, as I said, you have some better explanation as to why the fossil record somehow deceives us into thinking that evolution took place. At some point, you're going to follow this reasoning into saying that the existence of the sun is a tautology. It appears to be there and so it must be there.

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname There is no reason to question it, unless, as I said, you have some better explanation as to why the fossil record somehow deceives us into thinking that evolution took place. At some point, you're going to follow this reasoning into saying that the existence of the sun is a tautology. It appears to be there and so it must be there.
          The sun is there, and it doesn't exist as anything else aside from its self evident purpose, and no one certainly claims so.

The fact that Darwin himself stated that the lack of intermediate forms presented a counter argument to his theory, is telling. Like I said, there are no intermediate forms. To couch this embarrassing fact, we have punctuated equilibria. And those that babble about "saltationism" well, that in itself contains another problem since it appears to be nothing more than a silly middle ground between evolution and special creation. In terms of fossil evidence saltation just means that we have a new form appearing out of no where and we havent the faintest idea how.

I believe there are enough questions to raise in every aspect of evolutionary thought, to keep doubt alive, to question it and not regurgitate like mindless sheep. Essentially you are in the field of science, thus you must atune to the establish academia or kiss your ass goodbye for dissent is not tolerated. Science becomes no more than an arena of politics and mass mindedness, since everyone believes it, it must be so.

The Emperors New Clothes is something that needs to be re-read by many.

So in the end, you insist one cannot question the fossil record, simply because it cannot be questioned, because it is assumed there is a progression. So what? There is a progression from a horse, to the automobile, yet one wouldn't assume the automobile evolved from the horse. I am left without a reason as to why I cannot question it.
          Achkerov kute.

Comment

There are no anatomical correlations between a horse and a car. Of course every scientific theory is open to revision. Evolution is pretty damn soundproof, but still, it is not completely certain. Nothing is. What exactly is it that you're expecting here?

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname There are no anatomical correlations between a horse and a car. Of course every scientific theory is open to revision. Evolution is pretty damn soundproof, but still, it is not completely certain. Nothing is. What exactly is it that you're expecting here?
              Then if it is not certain, why are you saying that one cannot doubt it?

You contradict yourself.
              Achkerov kute.

Comment

I apologize. It is a scientific fact, as certain as relativity or thermodynamics.

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname I apologize. It is a scientific fact, as certain as relativity or thermodynamics.
                  That's where I can safely say, you're wrong.

Evolution is no where near the laws of thermodynamics.

It is just a guess with faith on how we got here, no different than God.

How you seek to establish evolutions holyness, I have yet to encounter. If people like Hawkins, or Gould couldn't, what will you present they overlooked? Or is this just your opinion with faith, no different than I, believing God created all?

You can state all you want, evolution is not a fact, because its truth cannot be proven, beyond a certain limit of what can prove.

Micro and macro are two different things. How one leads to another is only assumed and imagined.
                  Achkerov kute.

Comment

Evolution has an evidential basis, and both Gould and Dawkins have shown it quite well. Your belief in God is based entirely on personal conviction, much like the belief of the young earthers. In addition, nothing about evolution rules out creation. I don't see your conflict.

Comment

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but has it ever occurred to you guys that evolution and religion are not mutually exclusive but can coexist?

Comment

Working...
                      X