Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions

Excuse my rambling for a while.

Is it not true that every single opinion that we hold was influenced by how we were raised, what we were ingrained with, how we were affected by events. Is it not true that if the same exact person were to be raised in a different way, if he didnt hear that one news program or didnt see that one movie or didnt talk to that one person maybe he would have completely different views. Why is it then that we hold our opinions so strongly and defend them with the utmost vehemence? Shouldnt we all realize that we could have had the opinions of our enemy if we had even had only one different experience some way back up the road of life. Dont we realize that there is never a right or a wrong. There cant be! who defines right and who defines wrong. Is anyone getting what i am trying to say? Let me know

Sometimes opinions about a given situation can be right or wrong, better or worse, more educated or less educated, more effective or less effective... People will always seek truth. Some will have a better understanding of the truth than others. But the fact remains that you can only find truth by forming opinions (based on life experience) and defending them. One may or may not fail.

Comment

But what makes you think that you are qualified to judge which opinion is right or wrong better or worse more educated or less, when your own opininions are the product of years and years of molding, millions of events that each made you see something in a different light and have brought you to this point and guide you in your opinions.

Comment

The fact that one has his or her own opinions makes them qualified to pass judgment. It is impossible to accept all opinions and, as I said before, it is impossible to uncover truths with out forming any.

Comment

Reminded me of this quote.

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.
          -Oscar Wilde
          I see...

Comment

My opinions are the exact opposite of my mom's, and she was the one who raised me. Enough said.

And Oscar Wilde rocks. Something my mom disagrees with me about.

Comment

Not everybodys opinions are based on how their parents raised them. Although I share the same traditional values and morals as my parents, there is still a lot we disagree with. We always argue about world situations, my dad is always one sided while I like to approach every situation from both perspectives. Religion is another factor...my dad engraves Christianity into our heads, yet I follow christianity not based on what my dad told, but based on the information that I learned about christianity and other religions. If anything, its not our parents that mold us, its the outside sources that is given to us that molds us.

Comment

Tigran this is a marvelous thread I must admit, and one that will invoke thought, most definitely. While there can be opinions and experiences, that in itself does not preclude that there is no right or wrong. As Mises would say, there are correct ideas, and there are incorrect ideas. It's only after a struggle of ideas that we either get stuck with the correct ideas or the wrong ideas. Essentially we gravitate towards a plethora of relativism where everything becomes elastic, from "live for thyself" or "morality is a matter of personal preference", or "there is no absolute right or wrong", to the postmodern dictum of "All truth is relative" - that being the new absolute. This sort of thinking in terms of relativity opens the door for any and all forms of crusades of oppression, and one in which personal or group accountability is non-existent. The current drive of Bush and the neoconservative imperialists of America have a morality, in their view, that differs greatly from whom they are conquering. They believe they are the purveyors of democracy which they believe is the endpoint and are bent on spreading it to other people, no matter what the cost. History shows that false ideas about the relativity of truth foster moral and political errors.
                Last edited by Anonymouse; 04-15-2004, 07:12 PM.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
                  Tigran this is a marvelous thread I must admit, and one that will invoke thought, most definitely. While there can be opinions and experiences, that in itself does not preclude that there is no right or wrong. As Mises would say, there are correct ideas, and there are incorrect ideas. It's only after a struggle of ideas that we either get stuck with the correct ideas or the wrong ideas.
                  Thank you. I cannot see how anyone would see it any differently. I do understand where the question comes from though. One just needs to remember that defending one's opinions is also a life experience that forms opinions. There is no such thing as a perfect opinion.

Originally posted by Anonymouse
                  Essentially we gravitate towards a plethora of relativism where everything becomes elastic, from "live for thyself" or "morality is a matter of personal preference", or "there is no absolute right or wrong", to the postmodern dictum of "All truth is relative" - that being the new absolute. This sort of thinking in terms of relativity opens the door for any and all forms of crusades of oppression, and one in which personal or group accountability is non-existent. The current drive of Bush and the neoconservative imperialists of America have a morality, in their view, that differs greatly from whom they are conquering. They believe they are the purveyors of democracy which they believe is the endpoint and are bent on spreading it to other people, no matter what the cost. History shows that false ideas about the relativity of truth foster moral and political errors.
                  The problem with imperialism akin to that of our current administration is that it makes the government susceptible to moral relativism. The idea of a government suggests a buffer for moral relativity and the contribution to that collapse is a "political error," as you said, that in a certain light can be viewed as factual and having negative consequence.

Comment

true most of our opinions are formed from who we were raised with and there opinions reguarding certain things. But not all of our opinions are the same, or have been infulenced by our elder/parents/gaurdians because to each a mind of his own. A lot of my opinions have been influenced from my parents , true. But i find myself a lot of times with my own opinions that are totally different from theres because i am a different individual with a different mind set. I try not to let too many people change or infulence who i am, and how i think, so that it is purely me and no one else. But its not a bad thing to also be influenced by others, to open up our minds and listen to what they have to say, and perhaps adopt there opinions as well.
                    words are meaningless and forgettable...
                    words are very unnecessary, they can only do harm.

Comment

Working...
                    X