Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

notes / comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: notes / comments

Originally posted by gmd
    I got the impression he rather enjoys the role of the misunderstood yet enlightened Armenian critic.
    He's just a disgruntled freakazoid. His writings? Its all about him... Read his material and you will see for yourself.
    Մեր ժողովուրդն արանց հայրենասիրութեան այն է, ինչ որ մի մարմին' առանց հոգու:

Նժդեհ

Please visit me at my Heralding the Rise of Russia blog: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/

Comment

There are different kinds of racism...

The one used by scientists in the 19th century to distinguish which ones are superior to others in their scheme of thought, and there's the "folk racism", which has existed since the dawn of man. This kind of racism is used to distinguish alien groups of people from themselves and to keep them out if they are undesired.

Hell, it probably stems from a similar need for other mammals to exclude from their clans or packs those from their species who are too different and undesired.

We can develop tolerance for those our racism can potentially victimize, but it can only go so far, so long as our natural need to attribute reasons for behavior on our unconscious stereotyping continues to remain an integral part of our human being.

Humans like to associate human traits with ethnic/cultural and/or geographical origins, I think the only way to break free from this (although perhaps momentarily) is to identify one's own potential to portray the behavior they identify with these "aliens". However, not everyone is always ready to see their potential to behave like "baboons", "cut-throats", "rats", etc... when they get these impressions from "aliens" and learn to stereotype them with these features.

Comment

Thursday, November 02, 2006
        ON WISDOM, LOVE, AND
        RELATED ATROCITIES
        Men say they value knowledge over ignorance but live as though they loved ignorance more.
        Since our ignorance far exceeds our knowledge, in whatever we say about the visible and the invisible world (the universe and god) there will be more uncertainty than certainty. Unless mankind comes to terms with this gray area of uncertainty, we shall have wars, revolutions, and massacres.
        There is a difference between being right and being wise. Our revolutionaries at the turn of the last century were right, but were they wise?
        Either we de-Ottomanize and de-Sovietize ourselves or we go on confusing a dehumanized existence with survival.
        I am afraid all this talk of Turks and massacres has turned us into pillars of salt.
        Indians believe verbal communication is not the only way to transfer wisdom, and that being in the presence of a wise man is enough to absorb wisdom by spiritual osmosis. Perhaps our problems stem from the fact that for six hundred years we kept the wrong company.
        One doesn’t fall in love with a person, one falls in love with an image, an abstraction, a projection, a lie, a symbol…and symbols don’t fart.
        If I am nice in person and nasty in my writings it may be because in my dealings with my fellow men I may respect their limitations and ignorance, but in my writings I am merciless.
        #
        Friday, November 03, 2006
        FROM MY NOTEBOOKS
        No one, not even bosses, bishops, and benefactors, is in a position to say his definition of Armenianism is the only valid one.
        Like war, genocide is such a colossal blunder that it must be handled very carefully, even if it means attending it “by a bodyguard of lies” (Churchill).
        Literature and big money don’t mix. I feel ill at ease in the presence of benefactors who are constitutionally incapable of respecting anyone they can hire and fire; and I can sense this contempt even in the presence of their flunkies who are, as a rule, less diplomatic in their dealings with “honorable beggars” (Baronian).
        You may have noticed that smart Armenian operators hide their political loyalties. I remember once when I asked a friend to which party he belonged, he replied, “I am with the good guys.” No one believes me when I say I am not just non-partisan but anti-partisan. Shaw is right. The trouble with crooks is that they assume everyone is a crook.
        Hating the enemy is easy. Trying to understand him much more difficult. I admire people who choose understanding. But I see something inconsistent in someone who pretends to understand his enemy but hates his own brother.
        #
        Saturday, November 04, 2006
        VARIATIONS ON A FAVORITE THEME
        Literature is neither glorified gossip nor entertainment. Literature is more like a guerrilla campaign against a minority of cynical manipulators and a majority of unthinking underdogs who have a fatal admiration for all top dogs, including serial killers like Hitler and Stalin.
        The greatest and most dangerous illusions are the infallibility of faith and the nobility of patriotism. To me, the statements “I am a man of faith, therefore I am wrong,” and “I am willing to die for my country, therefore I am a potential murderer,” are as valid as “I think, therefore I am.”
        The source of wars and massacres is neither greed nor evil but love of God and Country.
        Armenians who believe what their pundits and academics tell them resent it when Turks do the same thing.
        Do your utmost to agree with those who disagree with you. Even if you learn nothing from them, you may learn tolerance, and tolerance is a far better means of acquiring wisdom than intolerance.
        In time of war, fathers bury their sons. Under fascism, criminals jail law-abiding citizens.
        #

Comment

In my case, I happen to favor Armenians over Turks.

your counterpart in Turkey wil tell you, "I happen to favor Turks over Armenians." to contradict him you shall have no choice but to adopt the stance of an old garden-variety racist, yes?

Comment

Originally posted by arabaliozian
            In my case, I happen to favor Armenians over Turks.

your counterpart in Turkey wil tell you, "I happen to favor Turks over Armenians." to contradict him you shall have no choice but to adopt the stance of an old garden-variety racist, yes?
            Aside from dodging every point I made, what is your point?
            Achkerov kute.

Comment

yes.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3
                There are different kinds of racism...

The one used by scientists in the 19th century to distinguish which ones are superior to others in their scheme of thought, and there's the "folk racism", which has existed since the dawn of man. This kind of racism is used to distinguish alien groups of people from themselves and to keep them out if they are undesired.

Hell, it probably stems from a similar need for other mammals to exclude from their clans or packs those from their species who are too different and undesired.

We can develop tolerance for those our racism can potentially victimize, but it can only go so far, so long as our natural need to attribute reasons for behavior on our unconscious stereotyping continues to remain an integral part of our human being.

Humans like to associate human traits with ethnic/cultural and/or geographical origins, I think the only way to break free from this (although perhaps momentarily) is to identify one's own potential to portray the behavior they identify with these "aliens". However, not everyone is always ready to see their potential to behave like "baboons", "cut-throats", "rats", etc... when they get these impressions from "aliens" and learn to stereotype them with these features.

Alot of good points kind sage, but I must remind you this is all wasted on the likes of Baliozian who is not accustomed to hearing the other side. To him, the supposed 'open mind', it is an all or nothing deal, it's either his way or the high way.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

Maybe... but I'm less interested in persuading him to see it my way than to let him know my way of seeing it.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3
                    Maybe... but I'm less interested in persuading him to see it my way than to let him know my way of seeing it.
                    Isn't that the point? My point was not for persuading him, but to point out that he won't consider my way of seeing it.
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

I guess I should rephrase then... give him the opportunity to see it my way if he wishes?

Comment

Working...
                      X