Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Egalitarianism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egalitarianism

One of the cult-like religions of modernity is no doubt equality, or egalitarianism. It is the cherry on the ice cream sundae of the Left, and hence why for over a century, the Left, has always stood for morality, justice, and idealism, all because of this one magical word that has been uttered so much in the ant hills of time, that it is virtually an unquestioned dogma among the modern saints of the modern world. So thorough has this ideology of egalitarianism entrenched into our minds that we cannot see society any other way than this ( hence the continues and blind support of the modern welfare-warfare-redistribution State ).

In all times and all places the proponents of equality and egalitarianism have stood as being the surrogates of "society", or "the people", both abstract holistic entities. Whether anyone in todays social strata advances in popularity all depends on whether that person, politician, economist, intellectual, represents and reflects the values of "society" or "the people" to make things "equal" so not as to displease the hapless masses so dependent on the nanny State which is said to bring about equality and harmonize everything into egalitarian bliss. Why should equality be an unquestioned ethical ideal? If the goal stampedes over the nature of man and biology, then why continue to support and babble the creed of egalitarianism? What is "equality"? When people state that "we are all equal" or "we should be equal", what do they mean? Clearly they display a gross exaggeration of language, and not enough knowledge of biology, or reality, or both perhaps. "Equality" in the true sense of the word, can only happen when two people are alike in all attributes, not just some, not just one, but all. Two people who have the same height are said to be "equal" in height. Two rocks that are identical in weight are said to be "equal", etc. But this is overlooking one important aspect, it only focus' on one aspect to attain the label of "equality". Thus whereas something might be equal in height, it is not equal in weight, color, strength, density, etc. So in order to achieve the egalitarian ideal of "equality", between man that is ( since that is the only thing they are concerned about ), we have be all equal, meaning we have to be identical in all attributes, not just one or some.

This "ideal" that egalitarians work for, is very scary, and looks as if its something out of science fiction and horror blended together. When confronted with superior arguments and evidence to the contrary of "equality", the egalitarian will shout "But just because we don't have it now, doesn't mean we should try", indeed Marx would agree. Such is the last refuge of someone who does not argue rationally, or logically, but merely to vindicate the position that he just held, that was demolished by superior arguments.

We have had all sorts of blather regarding equality, from equality in income, to equality before the law, to equality under the law, to equality in hiring, to equality in races, to equality in sexes, to equality in looks, to equality in weight, to equality in physical appearance, etc. The list of this equality bromide is endless, and is virtually advocated everywhere regardless of common sense, simple common sense, where natural differences exist. And that is what revolutions claimed to have brought with them whether it was the Jacobins in France, or the Bolsheviks in Russia, all uttering the same catch phrase of from their excrement, "equality", the "people", "equality", the "people". One would thing black is white if one heard it long enough, so too with equality, that it has been chanted and supplanted into the psyche of the masses that anyone to argue against such a dogma in the modern day, would be like a Christian against the Roman Emperor, or a bourgeois against Stalin. The essence of all the campaigns throughout history of forces that claimed to represent "the people" and bring about "equality", have all reverted to force, tyranny, and uniformity. They have all sought to reduce man down from his individuality, to conformity, to the mass, to the whole. Such forces claim that man does not really know what he wants, and that he needs to be guided, for the "greater good" of "society" ( hence this is something that environmentalists use ), and behold the secret behind politics, of how we make decisions for other people, since other people cannot rule themselves, we need to assert ourselves over them, that is what voting means.

It used to be that discrimination was not a negative thing, and in fact was looked upon positively. When someone was told "You have a discriminating mind" it was a compliment, for their ability to differentiate. Indeed, that is what discrimination is. Everyday every second we as humans discriminate, because that is what we do as individuals. Only in the horror society of modern day egalitarianism is discrimination something to be cast down upon and frowned upon and uprooted, like a Jew from Nazi Germany. Indeed, to discriminate is the natural and cognitive ability to differentiate. So the list of things that are "unequal" is endless, and need to be equalized, and hence the list of things that "discriminate" because they are not equal, is endless. The death penalty discriminates the groups of people from whos ranks murderers are taken, a man discriminates against woman, a set of stairs discriminates cripples, etc. So anything that is true to its original intent and definition, is by the fact itself discriminatory against that which it is not. The logical ramifications of this are indeed scary.

And here is what Kurt Vonnegut had to say about a fully egalitarian society:

The year was 2081, and everybody was finally equal. They weren't only equal before God and the law. They were equal every which way. Nobody was smarter than anybody else. Nobody was better looking than anybody else. Nobody was stronger or quicker than anybody else. All this equality was due to the 211th, 212th, and 213th Amendments to the Constitution, and to the unceasing vigilance of agents of the United States Handicapper General.

It further followed:

Hazel had a perfectly average intelligence, which meant she couldn't think about anything except in short bursts. And George, while his intelligence was way above normal, had a little mental handicap radio in his ear. He was required by law to wear it at all times. It was tuned to a governmetn transmitter. Every twenty seconds or so, the transmitter would send out some sharp noise to keep people like George from taking unfair advantage of their brains.

It follows that "egalitarianism" is illogical. It is fallacious. It is wrong and an incorrect idea and should be discarded. It has only brought misery where it has been employed and it will continue to bring misery. Good riddance to "equality" and thank God for unfairness and inequality.
    Achkerov kute.

First of all I don’t understand how you not so subtly dip egalitarianism in the mud as if it is a corrupt and diabolic ideology. As far as I know equality is the golden arch of virtue we are all striving towards, and without it people would lose any motivation to endeavor “good”. The idea of equality inspires one to move forward regardless of their situation or the socially imposed inferiority.

What you are doing is dissecting the concept to technicalities, where you compare the physical form which might hinder certain abilities, such as “two rocks are identical in weight” or “white and black person”. However the ideology is geared more towards an opportunistic understanding. It is when people have the right to choose their lifestyle, the right to happiness and receive the same respect as anyone else, despite their age, social status or their financial position. Primitive perhaps, essential definitely! I think overall in that retrospect everyone desires to be equal.

Comment

Originally posted by anileve
      First of all I don’t understand how you not so subtly dip egalitarianism in the mud as if it is a corrupt and diabolic ideology. As far as I know equality is the golden arch of virtue we are all striving towards, and without it people would lose any motivation to endeavor “good”. The idea of equality inspires one to move forward regardless of their situation or the socially imposed inferiority.
      Despite your statements to the contrary, I did not include what everyones aspirations are, nor did I claim to know. Your claim on "As far as I know equality is the golden arch of virtue we are all striving toawrds", is unfounded, unless, once again, you possess psychic powers that I lack or my psychic senses are not tuned to. We all strive for something regardless of what it is, we strive nonetheless, this has nothing to do with what you personally have to give you motivation. If it is the need to be "equal", so be it, that is your personal motivational source. To claim that without "equality" people would somehow stray from "good" ( whatever you mean by that ), is again unfounded. The idea of equality as you pointed out, does indeed inspire the masses to move forward, albeit blindly, as in the cases of the Jacobins, or the Bolsheviks, where "equality" was one of the catch phrases on the altar. It is a tool, if employed properly, can be used for purposes to subjugate the masses and make them force the desired ends of a few behind the scenes. Equality has brought about only misery where it has been imposed. Individualism, as I am sure you are a fan of, contradicts egalitarianism, because individuals are all different, and think differently, have different tastes and preferences, inequalities of minds, characters and capacities, of incomes, of age, of social status, and will discriminate and differentiate - unless of course you want blind conformity.

What you are doing is dissecting the concept to technicalities, where you compare the physical form which might hinder certain abilities, such as “two rocks are identical in weight” or “white and black person”. However the ideology is geared more towards an opportunistic understanding. It is when people have the right to choose their lifestyle, the right to happiness and receive the same respect as anyone else, despite their age, social status or their financial position. Primitive perhaps, essential definitely! I think overall in that retrospect everyone desires to be equal.
      What I am doing is not "dissecting it to technicalities", but rather taking the issue right into the core of the matter, as equality is. I am arguing against egalitarianism and that no such concept exists in nature. The reason why it has been disastrous wherever it has been applied is because it is the exact antithesis of the natural world, which is rooted in differences, unfairness, and inequalities. And the only places where "equality" was able to be employed were in totalitarian States, often by the iron hand of one person. The desire to be equal, as you contend, is in conflict with the desire to be accepted on an individual basis which I am sure you are a fan of. People can still choose their lifestyle and happiness regardless of equality. That has nothing to do with the said discussion and is a deviation. Furthermore, people will choose lifestyles and will be discriminated both on age, social status, and their financial position, because as individuals we differentiate, we discriminate, we think, and we choose. For example, if someone wants to live a homosexual lifestyle, fine, I am not to question their choices in this world. However, I do not agree with them, I think it is wrong, and based on this I form a judgement, and that is the human thing to do. As individuals we are gifted with a brain and free will and the ability to differentiate, and God forbid that day comes when we do not. I do not understand the brunt of your position since to me at least it seems contradictory. Perhaps you can clarify. Thank you.
      Achkerov kute.

Comment

Aaaaaaa, but you are wrong, Marxists and Bolsheviks interpreted the idea of equality in its literal form as you do now. Their understanding was such that equality can be achieved through the elimination of the physical form by dictating what lifestyle everyone should lead. There was no respect for the elite, the wealthy, the intellects, or an understanding of a personal pursuit of happiness. Marxists twisted the main concept of “equality” and reduced it to the basic materialistic equation; on the contrary “equality” to me represents more of an idealism, if you will.

Comment

And here is what Kurt Vonnegut had to say about a fully egalitarian society:

The year was 2081, and everybody was finally equal. They weren't only equal before God and the law. They were equal every which way. Nobody was smarter than anybody else. Nobody was better looking than anybody else. Nobody was stronger or quicker than anybody else. All this equality was due to the 211th, 212th, and 213th Amendments to the Constitution, and to the unceasing vigilance of agents of the United States Handicapper General.

It further followed:

Hazel had a perfectly average intelligence, which meant she couldn't think about anything except in short bursts. And George, while his intelligence was way above normal, had a little mental handicap radio in his ear. He was required by law to wear it at all times. It was tuned to a governmetn transmitter. Every twenty seconds or so, the transmitter would send out some sharp noise to keep people like George from taking unfair advantage of their brains.
          Wow... Brilliantly worded. Kurt Vonnegut is indeed a great writer. Which book is that taken from, Anon?

Good post.

Comment

Aaaaaaa, but you are wrong, Marxists and Bolsheviks interpreted the idea of equality in its literal form as you do now. Their understanding was such that equality can be achieved through the elimination of the physical form by dictating what lifestyle everyone should lead. There was no respect for the elite, the wealthy, the intellects, or an understanding of a personal pursuit of happiness. Marxists twisted the main concept of “equality” and reduced it to the basic materialistic equation; on the contrary “equality” to me represents more of an idealism, if you will.
            That may perhaps be the case in your utopia. However, in the realistic world that thrives upon success at the expense of another misery, that will never occur nor can it realistically work. For instance, that sort of notion that is forestalled into the minds of young people today is what serves as a catalyst for the demise of cultures. One example are the MINOANS of ancient Greece (at least on that piece of land or region).

The Minoan Civilization arrives and comes about from approximately the year 2600-2000 BC on the Isle of Crete, off the coast of modern-day Greece. An ancient civilization it was, it fell around 1200 roughly contemporaneous with the ancient river valley civilizations. Their civilization was mainly based upon trade.

Because they they had a very different type of civilization from the river valleys-- i.e. more EGALITARIAN, their entire vitality as leading traders of the eastern Mediterranean, fall due to the vast invasions of the Mycenaeans and ultimately their entire culture, style of writing and people vanished.
            Last edited by Deviance; 06-12-2004, 01:32 AM.
            I'm sorry that I was such an idiot.

Comment

If you've noticed however, this term is overused. It seems nobody pays much attention to 'equal justice' or 'human rights' signs anymore, no more than a 'cows eat hay' sign. That is mostly due to the fact that in a realistic world it truely is a "dog eat dog" world. On the other hand, any sign with an 'ism' attached raises suspicion and for good reasons. Whatever one prefers to call "equal justice or human rights," which might also be called humanitarianism, the various terms underscore its importance. Almost every political ideology has claimed to represent these ideals but in the end, only a few have. Only the citizenry, it seems, have remained loyal to these ideals, leaving only the minority to be swallowed by the vast majority of non-egalitarians.
              I'm sorry that I was such an idiot.

Comment

...However the ideology is geared more towards an opportunistic understanding. It is when people have the right to choose their lifestyle, the right to happiness and receive the same respect as anyone else, despite their age, social status or their financial position. Primitive perhaps, essential definitely! I think overall in that retrospect everyone desires to be equal.
                What we strive for is definitely not equality. What we strive for is superiority. Equal opportunity, may guarantee that everyone has a shot at “superiority”. However any imposition of government to “equalize” terminates the existence of “equal opportunity”.

...and yes, anons post was a bit too dramatized in an attempt to criticize the concept.
                Last edited by spiral; 06-23-2004, 04:17 PM.

Comment

It was not over dramatized for that is exactly how proponents of egalitarianism feel.
                  Achkerov kute.

Comment

An ideology which assumes the equality of all men suggests that no man is worth listening to more than another; no idea is more valuable than another; no child wiser than its parents; no code higher or more authoritative than another.

But it happens that in the course of human history, much has occurred and much has been learned, which constitutes a fund of experience that we disregard at our peril. All of us are NOT as wise as our ancestors. We can become wiser only by listening to their experience before going on to add our own, just as a child must first listen to his parents before he can safely lead a life of his own.

What is more serious, the destruction by the equalitarian virus of this proper and necessary kind of authority also destroys proper and necessary discipline. Lack of it in the home is far more often the cause of juvenile delinquency among both rich and poor than the so-called exclusion from family and community groups, which today obsesses psychiatrists and sociologists.

The delinquent who is capable of being saved wants pity and tears. Parents are more usually to blame both in failing to set an example that can be respected and in failing to speak with the tone of command. Men or nations who have been told often enough that in spite of all their training, experience and wisdom, they are no better than the untrained, inexperienced and ignorant child or race will come in time to believe it and consequently to lose the force and assurance which generates obedience.

Finally, by a series of insidious steps, the equalitarian virus produces that most disastrous of all diseases, the complete appeasement of evil. At some point, all ability to discriminate is lost; all resistance to wrong ceases; all indignation dies; all evil is met by sobbing pleas, which evil most naturally greets with contemptuous laughter and the red death of a godless Communism settles on the earth.

Let those of us who are Christian remember that, While Jesus could weep, He could also take a lash to the desecrators of the temple.

Comment

Working...
                    X