Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Alternate Explanation for Resurrection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok. This response kind of has my mind all over the place, now, so bear with me here...

So you're basically saying it's just kinda'....there? You can just feel it? But then if this is so, why were you athiest to begin with? There are other things built into us, like survival. We fight tooth and nail when our lives are threatened and fear death, even the most faithfull "believers". If we have such faith that there is something greater than this beyond death, why fear it so? What is giving us that inner instinct to try and cheat death as long as possible? Why does a faithful man who has led a healthy, full life fear the end when he is lying on his death bed?

And as for the example you have presented....what of the people who deviate from this "inner morality" and have no qualms with their concsious about it? And what about the variances on opinions of morality? And isn't a lot of what's "right and wrong" taught to us? A child doesn't know any better, and takes what it pleases if it desires to play with it, etc. It has to be taught that this is stealing, and he/she should NOT take something that doesn't belong to them.

So if we inherent faith, morality, etc. from an outside driving force, why the discrepancies in the way those things are perceived and displayed? And what of those things that are integrated in is that seem to be in direct opposition of one another (faith in god/heaven vs. not willing to let go of this existence)? Not arguing, just interested in you take on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Glow
      So you're basically saying it's just kinda'....there? You can just feel it?
      He's said before that he has had religious experiences that have convinced him of this truth. No one believes anything on pure faith. That would be stupid and he knows it.

What is giving us that inner instinct to try and cheat death as long as possible? Why does a faithful man who has led a healthy, full life fear the end when he is lying on his death bed?
      If we had no instinct to remain alive as long as we could, we wouldn't last long. The only reason this instinct exists is because a species without it couldn't exist.

And as for the example you have presented....what of the people who deviate from this "inner morality" and have no qualms with their concsious about it?
      Can't some people have a better moral sense than others? Every other sense operates this way. Some people see 20/20, some don't.

And what about the variances on opinions of morality? And isn't a lot of what's "right and wrong" taught to us? A child doesn't know any better, and takes what it pleases if it desires to play with it, etc. It has to be taught that this is stealing, and he/she should NOT take something that doesn't belong to them.
      This is enough commonality to induce the possibility of an inborn sense of fairness and justice. Remember that man has been a social animal for millions of years. Whatever instincts served to create a viable social group would almost have to be hardwired.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Glow
        So you're basically saying it's just kinda'....there? You can just feel it? But then if this is so, why were you athiest to begin with?
        Precisely. We are all endowed with a sense of morality since we are all as individuals created by a creator who endowed us with that gift in our conscience, and with morality comes free will, because in order for man to be a free agent to do good, he must have the ability to do evil as well. And the reason loser is mentioning some experiences I've had has nothing to do with this, nor why I believe what I do, although it did act as a powerful catalyst.

As for why I was an atheist, that has to do most likely with my personal problems, my own life history and not being able to understand. Even when I was an atheist and an agnostic things did not make sense, because innately, in my conscience, I just knew morality was instilled in me as if held constantly by the spark of God, and I felt it; I knew what was right and what was wrong. Even as an atheist I had trouble understanding how morality can be anything but objective, and I saw people using atheism and agnosticism as an excuse for their own personal gratifications and irresponsibilities, because if morality is objective then it means we are responsible for our actions, whereas atheism and agnosticism imply moral relativism, and that "society instils its morals on us" ( the view you subscribe to ), and no one is responsible for anything. By the logic of relativism, the Turks were justified in what they did to Armenians, ditto for Jews, ditto for the victims of Stalin, ditto for the Cambodians and Rwandans, etc.

I do not have the time or patience or enthusiasm now to get into this, but I will address your other points later.
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by loseyourname
          Funny, but I don't see implied in the title of this thread that the topic has anything to do with dusken and Mousy bashing each other.
          Two exchanges. Do not get so trigger happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
            ... whereas atheism and agnosticism imply moral relativism, and that "society instils its morals on us" ( the view you subscribe to ), and no one is responsible for anything. By the logic of relativism, the Turks were justified in what they did to Armenians, ditto for Jews, ditto for the victims of Stalin, ditto for the Cambodians and Rwandans, etc.
            I wish that one day you will understand why this post of yours was phucking stupid. Until then I have no respect for you. And stop trying to turn every thread into a discussion of morality, something you do not understand anyway... or choose not to.

Comment

Working...
            X