Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

String Theory....Multiple Dimensions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hehehe dont we all? I think I will read up on the basics and bring it up to Maman. If it does develop into something more than a theory, Im sure we will be hearing about it.

Comment

I moved your thread here. Seems more appropriate. I might post something in here later. I have a decent semantic understanding of the theory, though the math is way beyond me. I think what you are trying to say is that the mathematics so far has proven consistent with empirical observation, but so is the math of theories like QM and GR that have existed for longer. The math of string theory is far from being worked out. The equations are so complex that the math to solve them does not yet exist and the best we've been able to do is approximate solutions. The extra dimensions posited by the theory are actually microscopic dimensions that cannot be apprehended by any sensory apparatus that humans have. They are said to be rolled in on themselves. In essence, they are coiled, or circular dimensions, unlike the 4 that we are used to experiencing, which are all linear dimensions. They are spatial dimensions nonetheless, though. The theory posits no fundamental measurement beyond space and time.

Comment

I think this was a good decision. We really were having a more serious discussion with this one. I will follow up after I do my research, was too busy with New Years.

Comment

NOVA on PBS had a program on this last week; it was called The Elegant Universe by Brian Green. I've seen the book and once I'm done with school it's on my list of books to read.

The program is aimed towards the general audience; but even then the theory is so out of this world that it's a challenge to fully absorb and dare I say "understand" it even though they do present the program to be "entertaining" for the masses.

Comment

You can stream the PBS special to your computer here:

Following the broadcast of the NOVA mini-series The Elegant Universe, watch all three episodes here, divided into chapters, available in the QuickTime or RealPlayer plug-ins.

Comment

thanx, now I have something to do.

Comment

Wow that was cool.

Comment

yeaahh...thats exactly what I mean...

Comment

Fresh off the official site:

In string theory, as in guitar playing, the string must be stretched under tension in order to become excited. However, the strings in string theory are floating in spacetime, they aren't tied down to a guitar. Nonetheless, they have tension. The string tension in string theory is denoted by the quantity 1/(2 p a'), where a' is pronounced "alpha prime"and is equal to the square of the string length scale.
                    If string theory is to be a theory of quantum gravity, then the average size of a string should be somewhere near the length scale of quantum gravity, called the Planck length, which is about 10-33 centimeters, or about a millionth of a billionth of a billionth of a billionth of a centimeter. Unfortunately, this means that strings are way too small to see by current or expected particle physics technology (or financing!!) and so string theorists must devise more clever methods to test the theory than just looking for little strings in particle experiments.
                    String theories are classified according to whether or not the strings are required to be closed loops, and whether or not the particle spectrum includes fermions.

Did you get all that? Looks like string theory is not just one theory or a theory that comes in different versions.

Comment

Working...
                    X