Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Racial Groupings Match Genetic Profiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racial Groupings Match Genetic Profiles

RACIAL GROUPINGS MATCH GENETIC PROFILES, STANFORD STUDY FINDS

STANFORD - Checking a box next to a racial/ethnic category gives several pieces of information about people - the continent where their ancestors were born, the possible color of their skin and perhaps something about their risk of different diseases. But a new study by researchers at the Stanford University School of Medicine finds that the checked box also says something about a person's genetic background.

This work comes on the heels of several contradictory studies about the genetic basis of race. Some found that race is a social construct with no genetic basis while others suggested that clear genetic differences exist between people of different races.

What makes the current study, published in the February issue of the American Journal of Human Genetics, more conclusive is its size. The study is by far the largest, consisting of 3,636 people who all identified themselves as either white, African-American, East Asian or Hispanic. Of these, only five individuals had DNA that matched an ethnic group different than the box they checked at the beginning of the study. That's an error rate of 0.14 percent.

According to Neil Risch, PhD, a UCSF professor who led the study while he was professor of genetics at Stanford, the findings are particularly surprising given that people in both African-American and Hispanic ethnic groups often have a mixed background. "We might expect these individuals to cross several different genetic clusters," Risch said. This is especially true for Hispanics who are often a mix of Native American, white and African-American ancestry. But that's not what the study found. Instead, each self-identified racial/ethnic group clumped into the same genetic cluster.

The people in this research were all part of a study on the genetics of hypertension, recruited at 15 locations within the United States and in Taiwan. This broad distribution is important because it means that the results are representative of racial/ethnic groups throughout the United States rather than a small region that might not reflect the population nationwide.

For each person in the study, the researchers examined 326 DNA regions that tend to vary between people. These regions are not necessarily within genes, but are simply genetic signposts on chromosomes that come in a variety of different forms at the same location.

Without knowing how the participants had identified themselves, Risch and his team ran the results through a computer program that grouped individuals according to patterns of the 326 signposts. This analysis could have resulted in any number of different clusters, but only four clear groups turned up. And in each case the individuals within those clusters all fell within the same self-identified racial group.

"This shows that people's self-identified race/ethnicity is a nearly perfect indicator of their genetic background," Risch said.

When the team further analyzed each of the four clusters, they found two distinct sub-groups within the East Asian genetic cluster. These two groups correlated with people who identified themselves as Chinese and Japanese. None of the other genetic groups could be broken down into smaller sub-sections. This suggests that there isn't enough genetic difference to distinguish between people who have ancestry from northern Europe versus southern Europe, for example. Risch admitted that few people in this study were of recent mixed ancestry, who might not fall into such neat genetic categories.

This work could influence how medical research is carried out. Often researchers ask study participants to identify their race and ethnicity at the beginning of a clinical trial. The researchers can then follow people of different racial/ethnic groups to see which group is more likely to get a particular disease or respond well to a new treatment. This information can help future doctors know which patients may need additional disease screening or should receive one treatment over another.

But recently some researchers have moved to examining genetic differences between participants rather than relying on race and ethnicity. Their reasoning is that genetic differences may be a more precise tool for tracking groups of patients. Risch points out that this genetic analysis is costly. If people fall into the same groups using self-identified race as using genetics, then that could bring down the expanding cost of medical research.

Achkerov kute.

If anyone is interested in the particulars of this study, I have a subscription to the journal. I copied the article into word. Posting it here shouldn't be a problem, since it is entirely for educational purposes. Promise you won't tell.
    Attached Files

Comment

That is a good article. Thank you for posting it. I read the first part of it. Hopefully I'll get to the second part later tonite after some studying.

By the way, I seem to like your avatar for some reason. It has a cartoony trance thing going on.
      Achkerov kute.

Comment

Thanks. I think it's a picture of a coastal vineyard.

Comment

Now does this leave doubt in anyones mind that races are in fact as real as the smog we breath?
          Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
            Now does this leave doubt in anyones mind that races are in fact as real as the smog we breath?

Yes, it does. Choosing not to take a stand on an issue that is of little concern to me, I just want to point out that the article you posted merely summarizes findings but does not necessarily make that argument. Further, Risch's use of the phrase "perfect indicator" only makes us wonder...hmm.

This study just correlates how people identify themselves with how those who believe in the concept of "races" would group them. It says nothing about how things would match up if the people performing the study didn't go in believing in the concept of race (as in, it says nothing about how different the subject's DNAs really were from each other). Anyway, as far as the study goes, Was one even needed? haha, come on. I could have told them that. If I didn't believe in the idea of race and was forced to pick one of the categories, I think that it's quite obvious which one I would pick.

hmmm...I wonder if this is where most of my tuition goes!

Comment

Sorry, Wino, I couldn't see the relevance of that article to this thread either, and the ensuing name-throwing between the two of you was definitely not pertinent to the topic. Demonstrating that there are genetic differences between people, and that these differences correlate somewhat with social classification is not the same as saying that people with slightly different genomes should not mix with each other, or that one group should be discriminated against on the basis of their genome alone. In fact, if that argument was made, we could never breed at all, because the difference between a male and female of any race is far more than the difference between any two races. Heck, the advantages of genetic diversity are the reason we reproduce sexually at all, rather than by binary fission or some other process.

Comment

Deutschland Uber Alles

LYN - I disagree with you censoring and deleating these posts. The posts are relevant because there is a direct connection between the views that Rat always espouses and those of the Nazis - additionally he has repeatedly championed his ideas that Nazis have been unjustly portrayed and persecuted and such and that Hitler was somehow misunderstood. So yes - I very much see the connection - and anyone who champions these sort of positions - even if in a subtle/round about way - needs to be exposed - IMO. It is certainly something I picked up from the very first post of his that I encountered on another forum - his hidden and not so hidden (nasty) racist and sexist agenda - the ignorance and underlying vileness of his views bothered me then and still does.

And specifically my posts were designed to illustrate that this idea of race (that is so near and dear to the Rat) is absurd and has been discredited. And what he is espousing is essentially equivilent to what the Nazis were all about. Well these statements (his and the Nazis) are untrue and should be countered - and others have not done so in this thread and that is very unfortunate. So I have done such (and I fear you have deleated some of these posts as well) - and IMO exposing where at least some of this racsist thinking is comming from is also entirely relevant to the topic.

Comment

Working...
                X