Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Is There Life Elsewhere in the Universe? Is There a God?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is There Life Elsewhere in the Universe? Is There a God?

Hello to all you amazing people i found this thread quite amazing and i have a few ideas that you might find interesting but first i would like to say that i am not telling you this to try to convert anyone i am just offering you a new piont of view that you can agree with or dissagree with it is completely your choicealso im only learning to tipe and my punctuation isnt always correct'
    So as I see it there are two queastions here 1 are we alone in the universe and 2 is there a god. Well the question of are we alone depends directly on your idea of the universes size.If you believe that the universe has a size in otherwords that it is finite, then it is quite possible that we are the only ones, but if you believe, as I do, that the universe is infinite,no beginning and no end, that it has allways existed and will always exist,then the only answer you can come up with in regad to other life in the universe is that it is also infinte, there are an infinite number of planets with life and an infinite number of planets without life as anything times by infinity is infinity therefor 1 planet with life(Earth) times by infinity = infinite number of planets with life.
    As to the question of god I have some ideas on this as well ,if there is life spread throughout the universe it had to get there somehow, although at the same time it was always there but we have not always been here, so we must have been put here by someone with the tecnology to create life and to travel in space. If any of you did history at school you would have read history books and studied from text writen down by people of that particular era. To me the koran the bible the teachings of budda and of mohammed are history books writen down at a time when things happened and unfortunatly translated and rewriten throughout history so what you get today is an inpression of what happened then.If you take the basicsfrom the bible for example god or if you read ancient hebrew, the Elohim created life on earth in their image in other words people came here and created life. The word Elohim has been wrongly translated to god but infact it means ,those who came from the sky, so in my philosopy,belief although i believe in Yahweh(god) and jesus and all the other profits for that matter,I believe that like us Yahweh is a man as we are made in his image. although he and all the other people on the Elohims planet ar far in advance than us both emotionaly and scientificaly, to me this makes perfect sense but I dont think that i can explain it as well as it ws explained to me so if you are interested to find out more i will leave a web address where you can download a free ebook of these amazing revelations and then after reading it ,if you wish you can make up your own mind I will be checkig this page everyday so if any of you have any futher questions I would be happy to do my best to answer them. I hope this has helped you to find some answers to your questions, sending you all unconditional love and respect ian the web page address is www.raelianmovement.org/intro.php
    thanks for taking the time ps this has nothing to do with scientology
    The biggest thing missing on this planet is love and respect for one and other

Hey Ian, I split your post off into its own thread. We'd prefer if you didn't revive threads from a year ago. If you want to post something, even if it's related, just go ahead and start a new thread.

Comment

I have looked into Scientology (when I was like 16), and thought it was kind of cultish to be honest. I dont mean to offend you. I am not a religious person at all, but if I ever want to be I will go to the Armenian Orthodox Church and nowhere else.

In terms of life around the universe, I dont see a way to KNOW as of now - at least with the information I have been exposed to. I dont think its likely for Earth to be so special that we are the only currently living organisms in the universe. (we=all Earth organisms)

Comment

Originally posted by ianenergy
        ... but if you believe, as I do, that the universe is infinite,no beginning and no end, that it has allways existed and will always exist ...
        What reason do you have to believe this?

Originally posted by ianenergy
        As to the question of god I have some ideas on this as well ... To me the koran the bible the teachings of budda and of mohammed are history books writen down at a time when things happened and unfortunatly translated and rewriten throughout history so what you get today is an inpression of what happened then. If you take the basicsfrom the bible for example god or if you read ancient hebrew, the Elohim created life on earth ...
        So life on earth is only a few thousand years old?

Kind of arrogant to assume humans are the start of life in the universe isn't it? There was life LOOOOOOOONG before humans ever showed up and that is INDISPUTABLE as much as all these dramatic theories want to put humans at the center of everything in the universe.
        Last edited by Sip; 02-24-2005, 12:08 AM.
        this post = teh win.

Comment

I entirely second Sip's responses here.

In fact - most parts of the bible were not written at the time that they supposedly describe - but were compiled at a much later date - sometimes hundreds of years later - and often were based on other stories where bits and pieces were taken to emphasise a particualr point of view etc The book of Genesis is a prime example - lifted from Sumerian and Babylonian tales...which would imply - by your belief - that perhaps these originals are more accurate - eh? They cerainly haven't been supremely doctored up as the book of Genesis has been. I also put the new testament into this category - stories written much after the fact - from a very limited record (again also produced somewhat after the fact) and each has been supremely doctored up to present some very specific agenda's....but perhaps we digress...the subject was life in the universe and seemingly some assumptions concerning the nature/age etc of such (oh - but before I get away entirely from the religion aspect - Scientology - "kind of cultish" )....but yes ArmoBarbi - I think your remarks in yoru second paragraph are right on the money - we just don't know...and science is not ready to reveal to us - nor may it ever be - as what we don't know - or even have a clue of - seems as if it likely far outweighs what we do...so any conclusions are - shall we say - a bit premature...

And ianenergy - I'd like to perhaps suggest that there may be a difference between infinite (in a mathmatical sense) and just too high to count them all at the moment...I do like where you are going with this Elohim argument however. And if you haven't already, I suggest you may want to check out some of the books written by Zacharia Sitchen (for this and discusion of the origins of the book of Genesis...and for other very interesting and related stuff)..even if you don't believe all he says (I have to admit - I'm certainly skeptical about much of it...though believe he may be right about some things of real potential significance as well) - it may well open your eyes up a bit....(I think he discusses Realian beliefs a bit somewhere as well - some certainly coincide with his own...though I think they are pretty "out there" in many respects if you know I mean)...and fundamentally - while these sorts of speculations are are well and good and fun and interesting...they really are secondary IMO - as opposed to issues regarding taking care of ones family and tryin to make this little imperfect earth on which we live and (as a people etc) will be living fro a long time - just a bit of a better place...

With all respect...winoman

Comment

i rarly pratice relgion. scientology seemed a bit cultish to me also, the only religon i pratice is armenian orthedox.sometimes i think there is a god when things that have no explaination happen, but other times it seems doubtfull.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmenianKid
              i rarly pratice relgion. scientology seemed a bit cultish to me also, the only religon i pratice is armenian orthedox.sometimes i think there is a god when things that have no explaination happen, but other times it seems doubtfull.
              So there is a "God" when there is a use for "him".... Not starting a debate here, just making yet another observation

Comment

The existence of God cannot be proven or disproven. You either believe in God or you believe there is no God.
                Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse
                  The existence of God cannot be proven or disproven. You either believe in God or you believe there is no God.
                  Really? There's news

There are Agnostics who claim to not know....of course we know better than to take that seriously since none of us really KNOW. I called myself Agnostic for a little while, I meant that I was in a time of transition. I was not ready to hold a strong position, I still believed one way or the other. One believes either way just by living and thinking. I dont understand how someone can not lean one way or another. Thats absurd. Thats my little rant on Agnostics...Im ok now.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmoBarbi
                    Really? There's news

There are Agnostics who claim to not know....of course we know better than to take that seriously since none of us really KNOW. I called myself Agnostic for a little while, I meant that I was in a time of transition. I was not ready to hold a strong position, I still believed one way or the other. One believes either way just by living and thinking. I dont understand how someone can not lean one way or another. Thats absurd. Thats my little rant on Agnostics...Im ok now.
                    Okay, to make things fair to agnostics I forgot to mention them, but it was not intentional. My only point was to show the polarities because agnostics are not concerned with proving or disproving God. The only people concerned with that are either believers or atheists. What I am saying is that God is beyond that, and the existence of such a being cannot be proven or disproven. As far as agnostics, they are not merely about not knowing. A believer who believes in God ipso facto knows that God exists to him. An atheist who does not believe in God knows that God does not exist. In each case we infer the 'knowledge' from our beliefs. Agnostics usually don't care either way.
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Working...
                    X