Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Any nihilists in the house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any nihilists in the house?

Originally posted by Anonymouse
    Many people have labeled Nietzsche as a nihilist, but I have to side with many scholars including the foremost scholar on Nietzsche, Walter Kaufman. While Nietzsche is describing nihilism, there is a difference between advocating that and describing it. Furthermore, because nihilism means there are no values, that is not what Nietzsche argued. He did not argue that there are no values, instead to break values and to create new ones, and that there are many values and perspectives.
    Seems to me the most important contributions of what some perceive as) nihilist theories like postmodernism, deconstuctionism and cultural relativism are that they can foster critical thinking and question core assumptions. Questioning meaning and values doesn’t mean you need to throw out meaning and values. In other threads we’ve talked about words. For example, I don’t believe ‘words mean what I say they mean’ as Anonymouse quoted earlier (except, maybe in creative arts). I also am aware that people have internal definitions/meaning that can be questioned. Linguistic deconstruction, for example, fosters critical thinking (e.g, with the use of rhetoric or words like ‘democracy’). Deconstructing meaning doesn’t translate to ‘there is no meaning.’ It could be that the meaning is different than thought (or might confirm the meaning.) Similarly, in terms of value/ethical deconstuction, questioning doesn’t mean that there is no right/wrong (for ethical purposes), but might question if certain issues are actually values, and not preferences.

Cultural relativism (in ethics) would, if someone subscribed fully to that idea, would argue that all morals and values are subjective. While this is an important critical thinking tool to argue against cultural imperialism, it cannot be an absolute. I believe it is true that SOME things that are debated as ethical issues are actually preferences, but not all. Some morals are universal (even if contextual). Someone who was a full cultural relativist wouldn’t be able to argue against pollution and destruction of the environment (in other countries), animal cruelty, female genital mutilation practices in Africa, infanticide, human rights, and other moral issues. To a relativist who thinks all morality is subjective, those are all preferences. I do not agree. On the other hand, some issues that I believe are actually preferences are treated as moral issues (and sometimes imposed on others.) A favorite hair style is not a moral issue. However, if someone became convinced that hair styles were morally relevant, they may try to impose the ‘correct’ hair style on others and might even do harm to those with different hair styles. Without questioning the (ethical) assumptions about hair-style values (for example), there wouldn’t be a way to decide that this really is not a moral value, but preference (that could be 'thrown out' as a legitimate 'moral' issue). These tools can help in doing just that.

Comment

post-modernism... yeah, I consider myself as a post-modernist. Rejecting Descartes' philosophy of "I think, therefore I am" has been an important part of my experience... I have distrust in grand narratives and don't have a solid self image or identity in this world...

I wasn't aware that post-modernism was a nihilistic theory however, but now that you mention it... it fits in so well.

Comment

Originally posted by jgk3
        This makes sense, because I have trouble associating those extremist nihilist values with Neitzsche... He sounded so much better than that because he knew it doesn't help the human state when you destroy all its values and replace them with nothing. It's so easy to doubt the existance of everything, but after I did this long enough, I felt like I was dying, like my body wasn't good enough to contain my mind that was taking self-destructive measures to attain thought processes that humans weren't given the ability to maintain. I must've been going mad. Starving the human mind and soul from faith, even for the existance of the most basic things, is like making the mind declare war against the body. Of course, the body will still continue to eat and drink, but the mind is not at peace with this. It's complete chaos to be a fullfledged nihilist! So self destructive, at least in my case.
        That is true. The world is full of values by default. To consider no values and meaning is itself a value and perspective, as Nietzsche would argue.

Extreme nihilism, or nihilism without the creation of new values were things Nietzsche argued heavily against, and he equated that with the same as those blind skeptics who are skeptical of everything in Beyond Good and Evil.
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by Anahita
          Seems to me the most important contributions of what some perceive as) nihilist theories like postmodernism, deconstuctionism and cultural relativism are that they can foster critical thinking and question core assumptions. Questioning meaning and values doesn’t mean you need to throw out meaning and values.
          Who said that? Nihilism, and those who are self-styled nihilists believe there are no values. Currently, many post-modernists and deconstructionists all over campus' in the Western world hold on to guff like this. However, nihilism is nothing new and is as old as time itself, and which is why Nietzsche stated that nihilism and destroying values in and of themselves is harmful. Essentially, anyone with half a wit can be a "breaker of values", but how many can go "beyond good and evil"?

Cultural relativism (in ethics) would, if someone subscribed fully to that idea, would argue that all morals and values are subjective. While this is an important critical thinking tool to argue against cultural imperialism, it cannot be an absolute. I believe it is true that SOME things that are debated as ethical issues are actually preferences, but not all. Some morals are universal (even if contextual). Someone who was a full cultural relativist wouldn’t be able to argue against pollution and destruction of the environment (in other countries), animal cruelty, female genital mutilation practices in Africa, infanticide, human rights, and other moral issues. To a relativist who thinks all morality is subjective, those are all preferences. I do not agree. On the other hand, some issues that I believe are actually preferences are treated as moral issues (and sometimes imposed on others.) A favorite hair style is not a moral issue. However, if someone became convinced that hair styles were morally relevant, they may try to impose the ‘correct’ hair style on others and might even do harm to those with different hair styles. Without questioning the (ethical) assumptions about hair-style values (for example), there wouldn’t be a way to decide that this really is not a moral value, but preference (that could be 'thrown out' as a legitimate 'moral' issue). These tools can help in doing just that.
          If any deconstructionist states that "Morality is subjective", you can deconstruct the deconstructionist by pointing out that he just made an objective statement.
          Achkerov kute.

Comment

You're all a figment of my imagination.

So am I.

Comment

Originally posted by parthiapride
              You're all a figment of my imagination.

So am I.
              Can you imagine me throwing buckets of poop at you?

That is the ultimate test to knwo if you're really real.
              Achkerov kute.

Comment

post-modernism... yeah, I consider myself as a post-modernist. Rejecting Descartes' philosophy of "I think, therefore I am" has been an important part of my experience... I have distrust in grand narratives and don't have a solid self image or identity in this world...

I wasn't aware that post-modernism was a nihilistic theory however, but now that you mention it... it fits in so well.
                My 'meta-narrative' is a partly responsive and changing one... Let’s pretend that a meta-narrative is like you. Every seven years or so, your body is made of completely new cells. You age and learn and grow and change your mind. But, you are still a cohesive you (though you are different than before in many ways.)

Originally posted by Anonymouse
                Who said that? Nihilism, and those who are self-styled nihilists believe there are no values. Currently, many post-modernists and deconstructionists all over campus' in the Western world hold on to guff like this. However, nihilism is nothing new and is as old as time itself, and which is why Nietzsche stated that nihilism and destroying values in and of themselves is harmful. Essentially, anyone with half a wit can be a "breaker of values", but how many can go "beyond good and evil"?

If any deconstructionist states that "Morality is subjective", you can deconstruct the deconstructionist by pointing out that he just made an objective statement.
                I use bold and italic here so that people can skim a few points, or for clarity. I said 'some perceive as' nihilist for those theories because that issue is topics of multiple dissertations alone.

Beyond good and evil... that's and interesting tangent (and why I said "even if contextual"... e.g., Tao.)

I certainly understand your last point. I've discussed that issue Ad nauseam (well, not quite that much, but anyway) with postmodern scholars. A weakness of any 'absolute' relativist argument is that is knows no limits and seems to logically defeat itself.

Comment

My 'meta-narrative' is a partly responsive and changing one... Let’s pretend that a meta-narrative is like you. Every seven years or so, your body is made of completely new cells. You age and learn and grow and change your mind. But, you are still a cohesive you (though you are different than before in many ways.)
                  Yeah, I can agree with that concept... I know my ways of thinking will change with the passing of each "phase" I go through... I embrace this, it's the best I can do when dealing with inevitable change.

But what is a meta-narrative exactly?

Comment

Yeah, I can agree with that concept... I know my ways of thinking will change with the passing of each "phase" I go through... I embrace this, it's the best I can do when dealing with inevitable change.

But what is a meta-narrative exactly?
                    Not the best definition I've seen, but what I can quickly give you...

"A metanarrative can include any grand, all-encompassing story, classic text, or archetypal account of the historical record. They can also provide a framework upon which an individual's own experiences and thoughts may be ordered. These grand, all-encompassing stories are typically characterised by some form of 'transcendent and universal truth' in addition to an evolutionary tale of human existence (a story with a beginning, middle and an end)."

Comment

ah, I see... Well, in my case, the frame work of such a meta-narrative is very loose, as I do not care to bring order to all my ideas and experiences (at least for the time being).

Comment

Working...
                      X