Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Who among you...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who among you...

Originally posted by Anonymouse
    I do. I'd like to. I don't know.
    Agnostic.

How fitting.

So you don't know everything!

I found your weakness!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Okay now you can post the pic of the nerdy me with the outfit.

Feel free.

Comment

What then is truth? A mobile army of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms -- in short, a sum of human relations, which have been enhanced, transposed, and embellished poetically and rhetorically, and which after long use seem firm, canonical, and obligatory to a people: truths are illusions about which one has forgotten that is what they are; metaphors which are worn out and without sensuous power; coins which have lost their pictures and now matter only as metal, no longer as coins. We still do not know where the urge for truth comes from; for as yet we have heard only of the obligation imposed by society that it should exist: to be truthful means using the customary metaphors - in moral terms, the obligation to lie according to fixed convention, to lie herd-like in a style obligatory for all... -- Nietzsche
      Not only did that answer the question better than a song lyric, but, it was easier to understand & to the point.

The worst movie ever has a line close to, "Truth is what the majority of people believe". ...I don't know if I accept that...

Comment

Originally posted by Quarteria
        Not only did that answer the question better than a song lyric, but, it was easier to understand & to the point.

The worst movie ever has a line close to, "Truth is what the majority of people believe". ...I don't know if I accept that...
        You will find Nietzsche has a way with words that makes us feel giddy inside.
        Achkerov kute.

Comment

Originally posted by parthiapride
          Agnostic.

How fitting.

So you don't know everything!

I found your weakness!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Okay now you can post the pic of the nerdy me with the outfit.

Feel free.

I'm glad I can make you happy.
          Achkerov kute.

Comment

Too bad he died mad with syphilis.

Or the story goes...

Is that the truth?

Comment

Too bad he died mad with syphilis.

Or the story goes...

Is that the truth?
              Are you going to make any worthwhile contribution to this thread that you started?
              Achkerov kute.

Comment

You will find Nietzsche has a way with words that makes us feel giddy inside.
                ROTFLOLOL!!!

Comment

Are you going to make any worthwhile contribution to this thread that you started?

Have I ever?

The word evolution has been used to refer both to a fact and a theory. The existence of these two distinct meanings, and confusion over the relationship between and definitions of fact and theory in science, have often caused misunderstandings among laypeople about the scientific status of evolution.

When evolution is used to describe a fact, it refers to the observations that populations of one species of organism do, over time, change into new species. In this sense, evolution occurs whenever a new species of bacterium evolves that is resistant to antibiotics which had been lethal to prior strains.

When evolution is used to describe a theory, it refers to an explanation for why and how the process of evolution (in the sense, for example, of "speciation") occurs. An example of evolution as theory is the modern synthesis of Darwin and Wallace's theory of natural selection and Mendel's principles of genetics. This theory has three major aspects:

1. Common descent of all organisms from a single ancestor or ancestral gene pool.
                  2. Manifestation of novel traits in a lineage.
                  3. Mechanisms that cause some traits to persist while others perish.

When people provide evidence for the process (or "fact") of evolution, they are supporting the idea that evolution occurs at all; when they provide evidence for a certain theory of evolution, however, they are supporting a given theory as the best explanation yet as to why and how the process of evolution occurs.

There you go Der Metzger Meister.

Evolution IS fact.

Just many theories like Darwinism to help explain it...
                  Last edited by parthiapride; 04-25-2006, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Well, here we go. Time to offer a rebuttal.

Have I ever?

The word evolution has been used to refer both to a fact and a theory. The existence of these two distinct meanings, and confusion over the relationship between and definitions of fact and theory in science, have often caused misunderstandings among laypeople about the scientific status of evolution.

When evolution is used to describe a fact, it refers to the observations that populations of one species of organism do, over time, change into new species. In this sense, evolution occurs whenever a new species of bacterium evolves that is resistant to antibiotics which had been lethal to prior strains.
                    This is misleading as it has previously been pointed out on this forum. The above example of bacteria are nothing more and nothing less than adaptational changes. It is similar with moths which change color, or fruit flies. Evolutionists like to advance these as somehow 'evidence' of evolution being 'observable', but that is a twisting of semantics.

For starters, no one has ever denied within species variation. These microevolutionary changes are observed. The question is, what is the point of these and what do they mean? Do they mean something bigger? The changes that have led simple celled orgnaisms to form into complex ones, those are the ones that have never been observed and alleged to have occured over millions of years, in a past not observable. As such, it is entirely taken on faith that the alleged actions occurred. If it is asserted that overtime, these minor adaptational changes would and do lead to those big changes we have not seen, then again this begs question, where is the evidnece? Has this been observed? Can these processes be repeated?

When evolution is used to describe a theory, it refers to an explanation for why and how the process of evolution (in the sense, for example, of "speciation") occurs. An example of evolution as theory is the modern synthesis of Darwin and Wallace's theory of natural selection and Mendel's principles of genetics. This theory has three major aspects:

1. Common descent of all organisms from a single ancestor or ancestral gene pool.
                    2. Manifestation of novel traits in a lineage.
                    3. Mechanisms that cause some traits to persist while others perish.

When people provide evidence for the process (or "fact") of evolution, they are supporting the idea that evolution occurs at all; when they provide evidence for a certain theory of evolution, however, they are supporting a given theory as the best explanation yet as to why and how the process of evolution occurs.

There you go Der Metzger Meister.

Evolution IS fact.
                    You are piling too many assumptions into one word: evolution. If by 'evolution' we are talking about microevolutionary or adaptational changes, then yes, we agree 'evolution' occurs. But if by 'evolution' you are asserting that simple celled organisms have evolved into complex ones, that is unclear and purely a matter of faith.
                    Achkerov kute.

Comment

Well, its the best we got.

You got anything better?

Comment

Working...
                      X