Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!)

1] What you CAN NOT post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is:
- abusive
- vulgar
- hateful
- harassing
- personal attacks
- obscene

You also may not:
- post images that are too large (max is 500*500px)
- post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or cited properly.
- post in UPPER CASE, which is considered yelling
- post messages which insult the Armenians, Armenian culture, traditions, etc
- post racist or other intentionally insensitive material that insults or attacks another culture (including Turks)

The Ankap thread is excluded from the strict rules because that place is more relaxed and you can vent and engage in light insults and humor. Notice it's not a blank ticket, but just a place to vent. If you go into the Ankap thread, you enter at your own risk of being clowned on.
What you PROBABLY SHOULD NOT post...
Do not post information that you will regret putting out in public. This site comes up on Google, is cached, and all of that, so be aware of that as you post. Do not ask the staff to go through and delete things that you regret making available on the web for all to see because we will not do it. Think before you post!

2] Use descriptive subject lines & research your post. This means use the SEARCH.

This reduces the chances of double-posting and it also makes it easier for people to see what they do/don't want to read. Using the search function will identify existing threads on the topic so we do not have multiple threads on the same topic.

3] Keep the focus.

Each forum has a focus on a certain topic. Questions outside the scope of a certain forum will either be moved to the appropriate forum, closed, or simply be deleted. Please post your topic in the most appropriate forum. Users that keep doing this will be warned, then banned.

4] Behave as you would in a public location.

This forum is no different than a public place. Behave yourself and act like a decent human being (i.e. be respectful). If you're unable to do so, you're not welcome here and will be made to leave.

5] Respect the authority of moderators/admins.

Public discussions of moderator/admin actions are not allowed on the forum. It is also prohibited to protest moderator actions in titles, avatars, and signatures. If you don't like something that a moderator did, PM or email the moderator and try your best to resolve the problem or difference in private.

6] Promotion of sites or products is not permitted.

Advertisements are not allowed in this venue. No blatant advertising or solicitations of or for business is prohibited.
This includes, but not limited to, personal resumes and links to products or
services with which the poster is affiliated, whether or not a fee is charged
for the product or service. Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly, is also prohibited.

7] We retain the right to remove any posts and/or Members for any reason, without prior notice.

- PLEASE READ -

Members are welcome to read posts and though we encourage your active participation in the forum, it is not required. If you do participate by posting, however, we expect that on the whole you contribute something to the forum. This means that the bulk of your posts should not be in "fun" threads (e.g. Ankap, Keep & Kill, This or That, etc.). Further, while occasionally it is appropriate to simply voice your agreement or approval, not all of your posts should be of this variety: "LOL Member213!" "I agree."
If it is evident that a member is simply posting for the sake of posting, they will be removed.

8] These Rules & Guidelines may be amended at any time. (last update September 17, 2009)

If you believe an individual is repeatedly breaking the rules, please report to admin/moderator.
See more
See less

Armenians and sex: what's your opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Armenians and sex: what's your opinion?

Originally posted by KanadaHye View Post
    Who decides what the rational or optimal decisions are? What's right for one person may not be for another.
    This is science... You wouldn't use a subjective case.
    [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
    -Henry Ford[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Siggie View Post
      This is science... You wouldn't use a subjective case.
      Again, there is no way to measure what you claim is measurable. You can create tests but the criteria and results are judged by someone else.
      "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Again, there is no way to measure what you claim is measurable. You can create tests but the criteria and results are judged by someone else.
        Or you just don't understand what I'm explaining. I even gave you a sample study.
        [COLOR=#4b0082][B][SIZE=4][FONT=trebuchet ms]“If you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”

Comment

Comment on the content of my post, not me personally.

P.S. You accuse me of being biased, but you have this stereotype you keep trying to ascribe to me that doesn't fit, but you just keep at it... For instance, you assumed I'm a liberal. I'm actually registered as a Republican and identify Libertarian on most issues. That's why I recommended that you actually take a few moments to get to know me before you hate me and lash out at me based on qualities you ascribed to me in the first place.
          I never made any prescriptive statement about what women ought to do.
          Wow, where did that come from. Read my post again, then read what it was replying to. Then do the whole thing again and see whether any of my post had anything at all to do with what you say women should do

And you are biased. All women are biased, whether republican, liberal or liberterian. Whether they live in the west or in a traditional society. The only difference is the degree of bias, which issues their bias affects the most, and how the bias is expressed.

And P.S. You seem to be biased toward the fact that abuse is a one way relationship going from men to women.

Comment

Or you just don't understand what I'm explaining. I even gave you a sample study.
            I just looked at it... what does this have to do with anything? You can set a gauntlet up for someone and they won't get out of it without mistakes the first time because they haven't studied it. Logic is difficult to understand whether it's computer programming or electronic logic gates because the human mind isn't playing chess at every thought.
            "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." ~Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by levon View Post
              Wow, where did that come from. Read my post again, then read what it was replying to. Then do the whole thing again and see whether any of my post had anything at all to do with what you say women should do

And you are biased. All women are biased, whether republican, liberal or liberterian. Whether they live in the west or in a traditional society. The only difference is the degree of bias, which issues their bias affects the most, and how the bias is expressed.

And P.S. You seem to be biased toward the fact that abuse is a one way relationship going from men to women.
              It wasn't exclusively in response to that post. It just seems that you made up your mind about me primarily based on the following: 1) I'm a woman 2) an academic 3) live in the US

Your statement didn't even make sense because of the poor grammatical structure. I assume you're saying you didn't expect me to cite anything that would suggest women shouldn't have sex before marriage? This wasn't about me at all. Kanada made a statement and I asked him to support it. That's all. Then you jumped in to point out that I'm a western academic.

And no, I do realize that abuse can go both ways. That's what I mean about assumptions.

Comment

I just looked at it... what does this have to do with anything? You can set a gauntlet up for someone and they won't get out of it without mistakes the first time because they haven't studied it. Logic is difficult to understand whether it's computer programming or electronic logic gates because the human mind isn't playing chess at every thought.
                The logical thing to do would be to seek disconfirming evidence in order to test whether the statement is correct. But, overwhelmingly, people don't do that. They instead look only for confirming information. Is that not an example of how research can show people aren't optimal reasoners/decision makers? It's exactly what you said was impossible.

Here are some books (which discuss research) about irrationality of people:
                ‎"Mistakes Were Made, But Not By Me" by Carol Tavris
                "Predictably Irrational" by Dan Airely
                "Inevitable Illusions" by Massimo Piattelli-Palmarini
                "Bozo Sapiens" by Michael & Ellen Kaplan

Comment

The logical thing to do would be to seek disconfirming evidence in order to test whether the statement is correct. But, overwhelmingly, people don't do that. They instead look only for confirming information. Is that not an example of how research can show people aren't optimal reasoners/decision makers? It's exactly what you said was impossible.
                  Once the person understands the logic, they will get it right next time it's posed to them.... which is why there is a process called learning.

Comment

may i suggest this reading

Comment

Once the person understands the logic, they will get it right next time it's posed to them.... which is why there is a process called learning.
                      Not always. Seriously, if you're interested, check out any one of those books.

Comment

Working...
                      X